SiouxSports.com Forum

Texas Tech Predictions

UND Fan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has cooled off a bit in the last week or so, at least in the part of Texas where I live. But that just means mid to high 80's at kickoff instead of in the 90's. But it's a dry heat out in Lubbock. :silly: (Actually, it does make a difference.)

At least you guys have a national championship in football. That's something Tech can't claim at any level. I've been a Tech fan for 45 years and have never even seen a conference championship. It's just in the last 10-12 years that we've consistently pulled ourselves out of mediocrity. It's hard to compete with OU, UT, Nebraska, etc when they have football budgets several times larger than ours, and they draw much better talent year after year. Our coaching staff does far more with far less than those big schools - and lead the nation in graduation rates (public universities).

Being old school, I don't think much of running up the score on outmatched opponents. We used to call that really bad sportsmanship. But since the pollsters now give votes for 'style points', it's hard to argue against it. Especially when higher rankings translate into more money and better recruits, etc. After last year's tie-breaking fiasco, ask UT how important style points can be. Actually don't, unless you want to find out the true meaning of 'incessant whining'.

There's another factor that will likely come into play in our game, and that is we have to play Texas in just two weeks instead of in November like usual. (They moved up the game to get a national TV slot.) That may mean we run the ball a lot more to get reps for our rebuilt O-line, or it may mean we work on the passing game all night long. In any event, I don't think it will be pretty for you guys (no offense intended). It could get really ugly in the 2nd half. :blush:

How about a home and home football/hockey combo? That way we could could trade horror stories. ???

We can continue to be a big fish in a small pond at the I-AA level. Granted, I-AA is a slightly bigger pond than D2 but it is much much smaller than D1. However, I don't see anything to be gained for either side in these D1 vs. I-AA matchups.

I hear what you are saying.....in games like this or our ISU game injuries are also a big risk. That being said......it is a lot of cash and most the fans get pretty pumped for these "playing up" games.

I kind of see it as a couple different scenarios.....

First-- Would you have sex with the fat girl for $350,000? Hell yes, give me the cash.....and let's get it over with.

or it could be scenario #2....

Second-- Would you have sex with Brian Urlacher's hot girlfriend on a dare for $350,000........knowing Urlacher would beat you to with in an inch of your life when he catches you. Hell yes.......give me the cash......I will wear body armor.

I hear what you are saying.....in games like this or our ISU game injuries are also a big risk. That being said......it is a lot of cash and most the fans get pretty pumped for these "playing up" games.

First-- Would you have sex with the fat girl for $350,000? Hell yes, give me the cash.....and let's get it over with.

Second-- Would you have sex with Brian Urlacher's hot girlfriend on a dare for $350,000........knowing Urlacher would beat you to with in an inch of your life when he catches you. Hell yes.......give me the cash......I will wear body armor.

Great analogy!!!!

We can continue to be a big fish in a small pond at the I-AA level. Granted, I-AA is a slightly bigger pond than D2 but it is much much smaller than D1. However, I don't see anything to be gained for either side in these D1 vs. I-AA matchups.

Money,

The schools with large home attendance at higher average ticket cost want to have as many home games as possible to increase revenue. Generally they have 4 non-conference games to schedule and want 3 of them at home. Which means you have way too few big teams available to travel. You need teams willing to schedule an away game without needing a home and home arrangement. You pay a team more than they would make having a home game to fill your schedule. Both teams generate revenue to fund the programs.

TT expecting 50,000 at $40 a ticket(guess) is significant revenue for TT and 350K is a nice check to deposit for UND.

I would also do both those things :silly: money talks

This post is worthless without pictures. :silly:

On a late October or November hockey weekend?

Hell yeah! Make it a football/hockey two-fur-one! I'd seriously enjoy that. One of my best friends moved to Montana, which I think is around North Dakota somepleace. He's a 'Horn but I bet he'd meet me to watch both games.

By the way, I appreciate Sioux27's optimism.

Also, a Tech poster started a Thank-a-Sioux project thread at: RaiderPower Football Forum If you are going to the game it should make you feel welcome. If you do run into any rude fans, remember that this will be the freshman class' first ever Texas Tech game so they may be a little extra enthusiastic. There's a fine line between rowdy and rude, and it takes a little experience to know the difference.

Money,

The schools with large home attendance at higher average ticket cost want to have as many home games as possible to increase revenue. Generally they have 4 non-conference games to schedule and want 3 of them at home. Which means you have way too few big teams available to travel. You need teams willing to schedule an away game without needing a home and home arrangement. You pay a team more than they would make having a home game to fill your schedule. Both teams generate revenue to fund the programs.

TT expecting 50,000 at $40 a ticket(guess) is significant revenue for TT and 350K is a nice check to deposit for UND.

Although the Tech game is just about the money and the exposure on a national level, other FBS teams offer other advantages. Playing a team from a low level FBS conference gives you a game that you have a legitimate chance to win. Plus you still get a payout (though not as much as a school from a major FBS conference would pay). A win that can get you some national attention and a payout. Sounds good to me. However, you also need games like the Tech game where the payout is much larger but the chance of winning is much lower. It would be nice in the future if we can get to a level of roatating between big payout FBS teams and winnable FBS teams.

Realistically speaking, staying dII was not an option because of a number of factors, including the successful transition of NDSU and SDSU, the inability to find additional members for the NCC, and the general direction of dII with all the former NAIA schools moving up and many of the former dII powers moving to dI. Football probably would have been O.K. for a little while longer at the dII level, but recruiting was going to be extremely difficult with 36 scholarships, considering all the competition within our traditional recruiting area. I think the quality of the product we see on the football field would have gone steadily down, which would have impacted attendance and interest in the program. We are very possibly going to take our lumps this year (particularly this Saturday), and maybe next year, but within a few years I'm confident that UND will be a strong FCS program.

Agreed. Given its age and enrollment, UND probably could have moved to D1 years ago if the stars had aligned.

Score?

TT: 56

UND: 13 ... probably scored in the late 4th quarter. :silly:

Give us a few years ...

You know a 350,000 dollar payout is great, but have you guys thought about the expense to GET down there in the first place? It's probably close to or more than 1/2 of that just to get down there when everything is said and done. Just something to ponder! :silly:

I'm not sure but I believe most of these games also state the home team will pick up travel expenses. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this...

Although the Tech game is just about the money and the exposure on a national level, other FBS teams offer other advantages. Playing a team from a low level FBS conference gives you a game that you have a legitimate chance to win. Plus you still get a payout (though not as much as a school from a major FBS conference would pay). A win that can get you some national attention and a payout. Sounds good to me. However, you also need games like the Tech game where the payout is much larger but the chance of winning is much lower. It would be nice in the future if we can get to a level of roatating between big payout FBS teams and winnable FBS teams.

I would agree with this. I also feel we are doing that to some degree since we have the U of Idaho on future schedules. They aren't necessarily a flashy name, but they are an FBS program that I would hope we can compete with.

I would agree with this. I also feel we are doing that to some degree since we have the U of Idaho on future schedules. They aren't necessarily a flashy name, but they are an FBS program that I would hope we can compete with.

Speaking of the University of Idaho, I have a nephew who is a recent graduate of the University of Idaho at Moscow. According to my nephew, there is considerable disinterest in the Vandal football team on campus. The Kibbie Dome, where Idaho plays its home football games, is perhaps not so affectionately known to a number of fans as Kibbles 'n' Bits. I would think Idaho would be an FBS team where UND is definitely going to be in the ball game. On the other hand, I think the Texas Tech game on the whole is going to turn out to be a very positive experience when all is said and done.

You know a 350,000 dollar payout is great, but have you guys thought about the expense to GET down there in the first place? It's probably close to or more than 1/2 of that just to get down there when everything is said and done. Just something to ponder! :silly:

Very very few big football schools that don't involve a plane ride from North Dakota.

Just guessing at number of people and cost. Anybody have more accurate numbers?

90 people at $500 = $45,000

350,000-45,000=285,000

General rule of thumb seems to be: $50,000 to bus, $75,000 to fly commercial and $100,000 to fly charter. That includes the hotel stay, meals, etc. The numbers change a little depending on distance, dates, and other stuff, but that's normally what athletic departments in our neck of the woods(ND/SD/MT) seem to say.

General rule of thumb seems to be: $50,000 to bus, $75,000 to fly commercial and $100,000 to fly charter. That includes the hotel stay, meals, etc. The numbers change a little depending on distance, dates, and other stuff, but that's normally what athletic departments in our neck of the woods(ND/SD/MT) seem to say.

Good to know. Thanks for infomation.

Idaho has one of the top 10 coolest college nicknames: Vandals. It's too bad there is no interest in making their team better. On a side note, the Vandals are a pretty good band too.

For those of you traveling to Lubbock, be safe. When the land becomes flat for as far as you can see, you'll know you're getting close.

Idaho has one of the top 10 coolest college nicknames: Vandals. It's too bad there is no interest in making their team better. On a side note, the Vandals are a pretty good band too.

For those of you traveling to Lubbock, be safe. When the land becomes flat for as far as you can see, you'll know you're getting close.

Sounds like home up here in the Red River Valley of the North. People not from here always give me crap about the flat land, I tell them: you can't grow crops or raise livestock on mountains...but 'dey sure is purdy to look at ain't dey! (the latter part is said in my best hillbilly voice)

From reading Tech posts on this board and their own, I think our two towns/areas have a lot in common.

Speaking of the University of Idaho, I have a nephew who is a recent graduate of the University of Idaho at Moscow. According to my nephew, there is considerable disinterest in the Vandal football team on campus. The Kibbie Dome, where Idaho plays its home football games, is perhaps not so affectionately known to a number of fans as Kibbles 'n' Bits. I would think Idaho would be an FBS team where UND is definitely going to be in the ball game. On the other hand, I think the Texas Tech game on the whole is going to turn out to be a very positive experience when all is said and done.

The Kibbie Dome is undergoing some renovations: lowering the field to add 3600 seats (to 20,000 capacity) and replacing the plywood ends with translucent fiberglass.

July15-8.jpg

K-Dome

On a neutral field, Sagarin ratings prefer UND for the win.

160 North Dakota AA = 51.89 0 0 0.00( 0) 0 0 | 0 0 | 51.89 160 | 51.89 160

164 Idaho A = 50.77 0 0 0.00( 0) 0 0 | 0 0 | 50.77 164 | 50.77 164