SiouxSports.com Forum

UNH playing Minnesota in 2012

MplsBison

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The nickname has cost us games with both Wisconsin and Minnesota for football and has the potential of costing us conference membership for all of our other sports. It's hurting our recruiting by making it impossible to get games against the three most high profile schools in the our region (Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin) and it's denying opportunities to our athletes. In my opinion there is no way the nickname is worth the price we're paying and could pay in the future. I'll be sad to see it go but there comes a time when Sioux fans need to be pragmatic in their thinking about the nickname. We have our backs against the wall on this issue as the powers that be have stacked the deck against us. We will not win this fight and the only people we punish is our athletes by continuing our hopeless crusade. It's time to drop the nickname and move on.

The nickname has cost us games with both Wisconsin and Minnesota for football and has the potential of costing us conference membership for all of our other sports. It's hurting our recruiting by making it impossible to get games against the three most high profile schools in the our region (Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin) and it's denying opportunities to our athletes. In my opinion there is no way the nickname is worth the price we're paying and could pay in the future. I'll be sad to see it go but there comes a time when Sioux fans need to be pragmatic in their thinking about the nickname. We have our backs against the wall on this issue as the powers that be have stacked the deck against us. We will not win this fight and the only people we punish is our athletes by continuing our hopeless crusade. It's time to drop the nickname and move on.

As much as I agree with every letter of your post, the time to drop the nickname "early" has come and gone.

Summit has publicly commented they won't touch UND until nickname is resolved, MN gave UND time and UND would not drop, so they scheduled New Hampshire instead, etc.

Not too much longer now until the Oct deadline, might as well ride it out. Summit won't take anyone before UND is sorted out one way or another.

But most certainly, in principle UND should have dropped the nickname the moment that it was decided that 30 year agreements had to be in place for both the SR and SL. That should've been the catalyst. But the school is controlled by hockey alumns who probably threatened torture to the UND admin if they "quit fighting" for the nickname.

But most certainly, in principle UND should have dropped the nickname the moment that it was decided that 30 year agreements had to be in place for both the SR and SL. That should've been the catalyst. But the school is controlled by hockey alumns who probably threatened torture to the UND admin if they "quit fighting" for the nickname.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Right after the SBoHE decided that there needed to be a 30 year agreement with SR and SL, the SBoHE should have decided to drop the nickname? That makes absolutely no sense.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Right after the SBoHE decided that there needed to be a 30 year agreement with SR and SL, the SBoHE should have decided to drop the nickname? That makes absolutely no sense.

Right after the SBoHE decided that there needed to be a 30 year agreement with SR and SL, UND admin should have decided to drop the nickname.

Kelley should've come out firm on the stance and just cut the cord. Hard and fast with sharp scissors.

But nope...gotta wait until the last little tiny-weeny ray of sunshine goes dark before we can finally stick a knife in it.

This is exactly why you shouldn't even be commenting on the situation as you have no idea what you are talking about. The SBoHE made the 30 year stipulation because they are the ones who will decide whether UND will drop or keep the Sioux nickname, not UND administrators.

This is exactly why you shouldn't even be commenting on the situation as you have no idea what you are talking about. The SBoHE made the 30 year stipulation because they are the ones who will decide whether UND will drop or keep the Sioux nickname, not UND administrators.

come play us. figure the nickname out and come to madison. makes more sense you are in recruiting area. i don't understand going down to texas tech. i guess the paycheck. but it's not like you are going to get over 5 players from texas in a recruiting class. where if you played wisc, minn, iowa, maybe even illi it would benefit recruiting more than tex

come play us. figure the nickname out and come to madison. makes more sense you are in recruiting area. i don't understand going down to texas tech. i guess the paycheck. but it's not like you are going to get over 5 players from texas in a recruiting class. where if you played wisc, minn, iowa, maybe even illi it would benefit recruiting more than tex

I think the logic was to see how many TD's Crabtree could get on our midget whiteboy corners, but then he decided to leave and not sign with the 49ers.

Right after the SBoHE decided that there needed to be a 30 year agreement with SR and SL, UND admin should have decided to drop the nickname.

Kelley should've come out firm on the stance and just cut the cord. Hard and fast with sharp scissors.

But nope...gotta wait until the last little tiny-weeny ray of sunshine goes dark before we can finally stick a knife in it.

So you want Kelley and Faison, who have been at UND for about a year, to defy the SBoHE's decision and make a change that will surely upset the fans and stakeholders? A decision that they have no power to make in the first place? This one is rich, even for you. :sad:

They(Faison and Kelley) aren't going to drop the name before October.

But come Oct...if there aren't SR and SL tribes beating down UND's door with 30 year contracts...nickname's done.

When the hell did you get to decide what UND does? Mind you're own business. If there is something in the works the university people will let it play out.

Mark my words.

So you want Kelley and Faison, who have been at UND for about a year, to defy the SBoHE's decision and make a change that will surely upset the fans and stakeholders? A decision that they have no power to make in the first place? This one is rich, even for you. :sad:

I am beginning to think that MPLSBisonfan is a majory skippy and nothing more than a message board troll.

If that's the case, it is once again just another example of political correctness run-a-muck! Like everything in this country as of late, the "I know what's best for you", left-leaning ideology is putting a strangle hold on common sense.

No doubt about it, I like how these pompous liberals elites try to tell us how they think we should speak and act.

Ah ha...now I see why this is dragging out so long.

If the power were given to Kelley, as it should have been all along, then the nickname would've already been dropped.

Kelley is by far the best man to make the decision on dropping the nickname. He is an outsider, so he doesn't have this BS emotional connection to the nickname and he is the president of UND, so it is his job to know what is best for the school after weighing all factors.

Seems that MplsBisonFan doesn't get this.

What you said doesn't even make sense though. Case in point, I'm liberal yet I support the Fighting Sioux name. Therefore, being liberal does not equal being against the name. Your accusation is misdirected.

Who the hell do you think is making UND change the name? Let me answer it for you; pompous liberals PC elites. It's not a bunch of right wing conservatives.

I think the logic was to see how many TD's Crabtree could get on our midget whiteboy corners, but then he decided to leave and not sign with the 49ers.

Given Dominque Hawkins, Delano Saporu, and Kenny Watkins are our top three corners right now you may be a tad off in your assessment.

There are close to a handful of players from each of Florida, California, and Texas (plus one from Ohio) today.

Yes, you have to keep looking in your own back yard, but you also have to see what else you can go out and get.