SiouxSports.com Forum

EWU Dropping Football?

GeauxSioux

Football out west seems to have some issues:

- Western Washington dropped it abruptly

- Eastern Washington is having budget issues and football is getting a stiff look

- there aren't enough Pacific northwest teams to make a decent sized DII league

Football out west seems to have some issues:

- Western Washington dropped it abruptly

- Eastern Washington is having budget issues and football is getting a stiff look

- there aren't enough Pacific northwest teams to make a decent sized DII league

EWU in the Big Sky is not the only school that is facing major financial issues.

The students at Sac St rejected an athletic student fee that Sac St badly needed.

N Ariz has major budget issues for more than just one year.

Idaho State's budget and enrollment have been taking hits (BYU-Idaho has been growing rapidly, sucking away ISU's "natural" student base in Eastern Idaho.)

One or two year shortfalls in athletic financing may be bridged with fundraising and FBS game payouts. Longer term, the viability of the athletic departmnet becomes threatened without major donations.

I still don't see why some UND fans (and previously NDSU fans) wanted into the Big Sky so badly.

It's a league consisting of Montana and Montana State.

Regardless, the BSC swiftly rejected NDSU and SDSU, so I have to assume they would do the same for UND.

I still don't see why some UND fans (and previously NDSU fans) wanted into the Big Sky so badly.

For me, the answer is obviously football. The Summit does nothing for UND football.

If the choice is GWFC/Summit vs. Big Sky, I'd choose the Big Sky. If the choice is MVFC/Summit vs. Big Sky, I'd choose MVFC/Summit. But I am not optimistic about the MVFC letting UND in anytime soon and I don't think a five-team Great West is a viable conference (better than nothing, but way less than ideal). I agree though that the Big Sky is not interested in UND, so it's a moot point. UND has to pursue the Summit and hope for the best with football.

As to EWU or any of the other troubled programs in the Big Sky, by the time any of them actually leave the Big Sky, UND will likely be locked into the Summit.

Still, lets explore it from the hypothetical that UND has a actual shot of getting into the Big Sky...

Does playing both football AND basketball against the following schools really get you pumped up?

Idaho State (not a state flagship)

Weber State

Eastern Washington

Portland State

Sacramento State

Northern Arizona

How much longer do you realistically see Montana and Montana State in the Big Sky?

Still, lets explore it from the hypothetical that UND has a actual shot of getting into the Big Sky...

Does playing both football AND basketball against the following schools really get you pumped up?

Idaho State (not a state flagship)

Weber State

Eastern Washington

Portland State

Sacramento State

Northern Arizona

How much longer do you realistically see Montana and Montana State in the Big Sky?

A few years ago, I'd have been more interested in the Big Sky than the Summit/Midcontinent. But now, even without including football, I'm actually a bit more attracted to the Summit, particularly if Centenary drops out and Denver is added. I'm somewhat skeptical of the long-term viability of the Big Sky right now. Too many schools seem to have real problems financially, and there is always the possibility of the Montana schools looking at moving to FBS football.

A few years ago, I'd have been more interested in the Big Sky than the Summit/Midcontinent. But now, even without including football, I'm actually a bit more attracted to the Summit, particularly if Centenary drops out and Denver is added. I'm somewhat skeptical of the long-term viability of the Big Sky right now. Too many schools seem to have real problems financially, and there is always the possibility of the Montana schools looking at moving to FBS football.

There is a real possibility that the Montana schools could bolt. I wouldn't count on it but you never know.

I would prefer any option that gets UND into an autobid conference for football. If that is the Big Sky, so be it. If the composition of the Big Sky changes so that it is no longer attractive enough, UND can look for a different autobid football conference at that time. Conferences and their membership composition has been very fluid, so this would not be unusual.

My reply in RED-CAPS (and yes, I know most don't play FB, so think BB)

Idaho State (not a state flagship) - CENTENARY

Weber State - ORAL ROBERTS

Eastern Washington - IUPUI

Portland State - IPFW

Sacramento State - UMKC

Northern Arizona - SOUTHERN UTAH

So, which is better head-to-head.

And there, folks, is the key.

There's going to be a shake-up when the Big East splits in 2013. Around that time the moratorum on moving up to FBS will be over as well.

I'm looking for some MVFC teams to leave in some form, which opens the door for UND and USD.

What was the RPI?

Don't know.

Doesn't really matter when your only hope is the autobid.

Massey viewed conferences like this ...

18 Big West 9 54 67 1.294 0.7225

19 Sun Belt 13 74 78 1.269 0.5733

20 Big Sky 9 48 73 1.228 0.5563

21 America East 9 60 61 1.202 0.5961

22 Mid-American 12 68 103 1.196 0.5780

23 Southland 12 86 75 1.182 0.6427

24 Southern 12 52 70 1.173 0.5147

25 Summit Lg 10 45 76 1.120 0.5556

26 Big South 10 51 65 1.114 0.6013

27 Patriot League 8 49 68 1.081 0.5947

http://www.mratings.com/rate.php?lg=cb&amp...sub=I&mid=6

Travel costs and lack of a travel partner really destroyed any chance of UND getting in. With the state of the BSC, it's probably a blessing. A couple of Big Sky schools would have to practically drop athletics for UND to have a prayer. (EWU, NAU - Sac St lost a student vote to add an athletic fee - so they may be in line for major athletic budget cuts too) .

The Summit does become much more attractive with Denver rather than Centenary. Other then the Twin Cities, UND alumni are by and large in the west (Denver, Phoenix, West Coast), not in Detroit, Indianapolis, Kansas City, or Tulsa. One of the reasons that UTEP switched from the WAC to CUSA is to best appeal to it's alumni base, which was mostly in Houston and Dallas and not in WAC markets.

While the WAC might have been interested in Montana a few years ago, Montana has done almost nothing to prepare for FBS football (like adding two more sports to get to 16 sponsored squads). With Sac State, UC-Davis and Cal Poly also almost totally unprepared FBS membership, the logical schools to consider are UT-San Antonio and Texas St. Both have declared intentions to move to the FBS level and have committed major dollars to that cause.

• 1 month later...

Apparently, according to reporter Jimmy Watson of the Shreveport Times, Centenary is planning on dropping out of the Summit League by the year 2011. Apparently, also, the validity of Watson's report has been confirmed by a Centenary school official. I realize this has nothing to do with repors of Eastern Washington's possibly dropping football in the wake of budget cuts due in part to the slumbering economy in some places. Given a choice between the Big Sky and the Summit if it comes down to that, I would prefer the Summit. I don't particularly like the way NDSU and SDSU were left hanging regarding the Big Sky. I also think both Montana and Montana State may skip out of the Big Sky one day, ostensibly seeking greener pastures. Without the Montana schools in the Big Sky, again if it comes to that, I don't see much advantage to UND's being part of that conference. I think there is going to be more of a shakeup in conferences within the next four to five years, so much for stability.

Apparently, according to reporter Jimmy Watson of the Shreveport Times, Centenary is planning on dropping out of the Summit League by the year 2011. Apparently, also, the validity of Watson's report has been confirmed by a Centenary school official. I realize this has nothing to do with repors of Eastern Washington's possibly dropping football in the wake of budget cuts due in part to the slumbering economy in some places. Given a choice between the Big Sky and the Summit if it comes down to that, I would prefer the Summit. I don't particularly like the way NDSU and SDSU were left hanging regarding the Big Sky. I also think both Montana and Montana State may skip out of the Big Sky one day, ostensibly seeking greener pastures. Without the Montana schools in the Big Sky, again if it comes to that, I don't see much advantage to UND's being part of that conference. I think there is going to be more of a shakeup in conferences within the next four to five years, so much for stability.

With the cost of travel, the continued BSC presence of West Coast schools, and the lack of a UND travel partner, I don't see the Big Sky / UND ever hooking up (and I was a big proponent of it). What may be possible however, if the university funding crunch for EWU, NAU, Sac St continues and one or two of them drop football, is that the Big Sky could then be open to associate members in football only like UND, UC-Davis. The Big Sky has a vested interest in ensuring that western FCS schools remain viable.

With the cost of travel, the continued BSC presence of West Coast schools, and the lack of a UND travel partner, I don't see the Big Sky / UND ever hooking up (and I was a big proponent of it). What may be possible however, if the university funding crunch for EWU, NAU, Sac St continues and one or two of them drop football, is that the Big Sky could then be open to associate members in football only like UND, UC-Davis. The Big Sky has a vested interest in ensuring that western FCS schools remain viable.

I see much merit in star2city's assessment. I, too, think the Big Sky has a vested interest in western FCS schools retaining and strengthening their viabilities. I had not considered the possibility of UND's being an associate member in football only. That sounds okay to me. Question is: UND would still need a viable travel partner.

I see much merit in star2city's assessment. I, too, think the Big Sky has a vested interest in western FCS schools retaining and strengthening their viabilities. I had not considered the possibility of UND's being an associate member in football only. That sounds okay to me. Question is: UND would still need a viable travel partner.

Not that I think that it will ever happen, but USD could be the potential travel partner.

Not that I think that it will ever happen, but USD could be the potential travel partner.

I had forgotten about USD's being a potential travel partner for football, having already plugged USD into the Summit Conference, also forgetting that the Summit as such does not sponsor football. However, since the Big Sky snubbed both NDSU and SDSU, I tend to think the UxDs would likely be shunted aside as well for travel distance reasons. Then again, there's the saying "never say never" to think about.

I had forgotten about USD's being a potential travel partner for football, having already plugged USD into the Summit Conference, also forgetting that the Summit as such does not sponsor football. However, since the Big Sky snubbed both NDSU and SDSU, I tend to think the UxDs would likely be shunted aside as well for travel distance reasons. Then again, there's the saying "never say never" to think about.

For associate membership in a football conference, travel partners are not necessary. Outside the few schools within 500 miles of each other, most Big Sky schools fly their football team anyway and usually on charter. For team sports with two games scheduled over three days (like basketball, soccer, volleyball) that rely exclusively on commercial carriers, travel partners are significant factors in cost, time, and accessibility.