SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey Off-Season Thread

AZSIOUX

another reason i think david toews has a big sophmore year. he was so banged up last year along with many others per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

A story in Newsday talks about the shoulder and wrist injuries that David Toews battled last season and kept him out of the lineup at the end. You could add Toews to the list of walking wounded that were on the roster at season's end: Chris VandeVelde played with a separated shoulder, Joe Finley with a separated shoulder, Evan Trupp with a broken finger and Brett Hextall with a broken foot. I'm also hearing that Brad Eidsness was not at 100 percent at the end of last season. Don't know exactly how banged up he was, though. There were probably others that we don't know about. It can be difficult to get injury info sometimes.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess i should have named this sioux/wcha off season thead but anyhow a interesting gophers hire for full time assistant in potulny

assistant

Grant Potulny, who was named a volunteer assistant coach in May, has been elevated to a full-time position following a national search process. In addition, Justin Johnson has been named the team

i guess i should have named this sioux/wcha off season thead but anyhow a interesting gophers hire for full time assistant in potulny

assistant

Grant Potulny, who was named a volunteer assistant coach in May, has been elevated to a full-time position following a national search process. In addition, Justin Johnson has been named the team

another reason i think david toews has a big sophmore year. he was so banged up last year along with many others per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

A story in Newsday talks about the shoulder and wrist injuries that David Toews battled last season and kept him out of the lineup at the end. You could add Toews to the list of walking wounded that were on the roster at season's end: Chris VandeVelde played with a separated shoulder, Joe Finley with a separated shoulder, Evan Trupp with a broken finger and Brett Hextall with a broken foot. I'm also hearing that Brad Eidsness was not at 100 percent at the end of last season. Don't know exactly how banged up he was, though. There were probably others that we don't know about. It can be difficult to get injury info sometimes.

You know I am impressed with how secure the UND staff is with their players injuries, these guys are good to not release anything.

This is the first most of us have even heard about Toews's injury.

I guess this proves the old adage "Those who can't, teach".

I don't know what Grant Potulny has to prove; he captained a superb Gophers team, scored the overtime game-winner in a national championship game, etc. You going to bad-mouth the former Sioux skaters who never made "the show"?

I don't know what Grant Potulny has to prove; he captained a superb Gophers team, scored the overtime game-winner in a national championship game, etc. You going to bad-mouth the former Sioux skaters who never made "the show"?

If you had paid attention to what I bolded in AZSioux's original post, you would have known that I was talking about Justin Johnson, the very leaky former back-up goaltender for the Gophers. He made Adam Hauser look like a Hobey Baker finalist by comparison.

yeah i agree. hes had a hell of a college career. just suprising with the lack f experience on my end but everyone needs a break and maybe this was his. will be interesting how it plays out. lots of assistants in and out of there lately

yeah i agree. hes had a hell of a college career. just suprising with the lack f experience on my end but everyone needs a break and maybe this was his. will be interesting how it plays out. lots of assistants in and out of there lately

He brings to the gophers what they are missing -- passion for the game. If he can somehow translate that to some of their players, it is well worth the risk. Let's face it, he doesn't really need to recruit, just teach and get them to play at a higher degree with some passion a higher percentage of time. They might not bring it every night like he did, but I am sure they are looking for improvement on that end of things, because the talent is there.

You know I am impressed with how secure the UND staff is with their players injuries, these guys are good to not release anything.

This is the first most of us have even heard about Toews's injury.

Aren't they legally obligated to not disclose private medical info to the public?

Aren't they legally obligated to not disclose private medical info to the public?

yes but as we all know things get leaked out all of the time and rarely with hak and his players do things ever get out detailed

I think it is great Irmen will never step foot in the NHL...why would you want that jersey popper ahole in the NHL?? I say give him another year or two in Houston and he can start selling insurance. After his antics while playing the Sioux i wish him no luck at all.

I share a similar opinion of Mr. Irmen.

it is interesting how fans all feel different regarding players of other teams after they leave college. i dont care either way regarding any non sioux who has or doesnt have success in the nhl or any pro league. once they are gone from the wcha they are gone and the new crop comes in to dislike IMO but i understand others points as well for disliking and thats not wrong either ??? doesnt mean i dont have my handful of players i didnt like but i guess dont care really after they leave unless they personally did something to me which isnt ever the case :p

it is interesting how fans all feel different regarding players of other teams after they leave college. i dont care either way regarding any non sioux who has or doesnt have success in the nhl or any pro league. once they are gone from the wcha they are gone and the new crop comes in to dislike IMO but i understand others points as well for disliking and thats not wrong either ??? doesnt mean i dont have my handful of players i didnt like but i guess dont care really after they leave unless they personally did something to me which isnt ever the case :D

AZSIOUX, Always the voice of reason!! :p

Long time no post Sioux fans . . . the Devils rookie/development camp was this week and today they held an open scrimmage. I would've gone, but I had to go to the dentist instead, so here's another Devils fan's perspective on Derek Rodwell:

This kid caught me by surprise. I love Rodwell's game. He is a powerforward who plays a whole like Halischuk, except Rodwell has size. He doesn't have the best skating technique, but he is super fast. Everytime he dumped the puck in he wound up winning it by blazing around the defenseman. I cannot wait to see how he progresses this year at North Dakota. He also scored on his shootout attempt, fake shot and then put it through Frazee's five whole. He battles and goes to the net as much as possible.

Link to full post.

After two disappointing seasons, Jackson was encouraged to hear the news of the recent veteran signings of Clay Wilson, Jeff Taffe and Graham Mink by the Florida Panthers/Rochester Americans. He made comparisons with the veteran-laden teams that once played for the Amerks.

Oh boy they signed Jeff "after the whistle" Taffe.

it is interesting how fans all feel different regarding players of other teams after they leave college. i dont care either way regarding any non sioux who has or doesnt have success in the nhl or any pro league. once they are gone from the wcha they are gone and the new crop comes in to dislike IMO but i understand others points as well for disliking and thats not wrong either ??? doesnt mean i dont have my handful of players i didnt like but i guess dont care really after they leave unless they personally did something to me which isnt ever the case :p

For the most part I am like that too but there are a few players from WCHA team that will never chear for; players like Jeff "from behind" Paukovich, Jeff "after the whistle" Taffe, Ryan Flynn and Brian "the hack" Shack (sp, personally I don't care because he is a hack), Trevor "the knee" Bruess, Tony Luica if they happened to make the NHL. The fore mentioned hacks will probably never make it anyway. Personally I don't dislike the traitors from ND towns that went and played for the chokers. I also don't think Irmen will ever get more than a cup of tea in the NHL if that. I also think it's funny that two of the biggest hacks in the WCHA are going to be the Goofs captains next season.

Long time no post Sioux fans . . . the Devils rookie/development camp was this week and today they held an open scrimmage. I would've gone, but I had to go to the dentist instead, so here's another Devils fan's perspective on Derek Rodwell:

Link to full post.

Interesting take.

However, he won't be at UND this year. :D

I had a glib remark on Frazee, but Bina's goal didn't go 5 hole dang it! ???:p

But this one did!

I just don't see Frazee making the NHL anytime soon. If Ahi Ahonen (an NJ 1st Round Draft Pick) couldn't make the NHL, Frazee sure won't.

I think you're right but you never know with the NHL.

In not so good off-season news... Finley & Frattin were arrested for disorderly conduct.

A former UND hockey player and a current one were arrested about 3 a.m. Tuesday after a campus officer saw the men throwing cups, plates, a kitchen table and a lawnmower onto a Grand Forks street, UND Police Lt. Dan Lund said.

Joe Finley, 22, and Matt Frattin, 21, are both charged with disorderly conduct. In addition, Frattin faces a fleeing charge and Finley faces a charge of giving false information to officers. All the charges are misdemeanors.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/127236/