SiouxSports.com Forum

The Next Step

GeauxSioux

I always said that external forces would eventually do in the Sioux nickname. UND was never going to be able to stay insulated from the radical leftist ideology permeating seemingly every part of American life. It was just a matter of time. And now it's happened. Sad day indeed.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's been stated here before, but I've not read on this topic for a long time....what WILL they do about the REA now?:silly:?!!!!! OMG!

Keep using it. The only real effect on REA is for NC$$ tournament hosting. The agreement with the NC$$ stated that symbols, logos and such that are permanent like the flooring can stay. Others that are long lasting but will eventually need to be replaced during a remodeling, like on the ends of rows of seats, can be replaced at that time. The only thing that the NC$$ would require to be replaced before allowing the REA to host an event would be things like signing, rugs and other more easily changed items. So the Fighting Sioux logo will live for many years at REA. The only real questions are how quickly REA will make the more minor changes and who will pay for those changes.

Keep using it. The only real effect on REA is for NC$$ tournament hosting. The agreement with the NC$$ stated that symbols, logos and such that are permanent like the flooring can stay. Others that are long lasting but will eventually need to be replaced during a remodeling, like on the ends of rows of seats, can be replaced at that time. The only thing that the NC$$ would require to be replaced before allowing the REA to host an event would be things like signing, rugs and other more easily changed items. So the Fighting Sioux logo will live for many years at REA. The only real questions are how quickly REA will make the more minor changes and who will pay for those changes.

Nothing stops people from saying and the home of the the SIIIIOOOOUUUUXXXXX.

I hope the basketball teams appreciate the sacrifice, because the Summit sponsors neither hockey nor football (which just happen to be the two most popular sports at UND). I wish nothing but the most ill towards all the members of the BoHE, Tom Douple (and especially his puppetmasters), and Miles Brand. If any were in my presence I don't know that I could resist the temptation to spit in each of their despicable faces. Make no mistake - the decision has been made to knuckle under to a minority of a minority that is willing to wage an unholy war caring for nothing but acheiving their desired ends. They will go to any means to accomplish them. If you love justice and fairness, you have no recourse but to hate this decision. It is disgustly weak and cowardly - anyone with an shred of integrity would feel nothing but shame.

I hope the basketball teams appreciate the sacrifice, because the Summit sponsors neither hockey nor football (which just happen to be the two most popular sports at UND). I wish nothing but the most ill towards all the members of the BoHE, Tom Douple (and especially his puppetmasters), and Miles Brand. If any were in my presence I don't know that I could resist the temptation to spit in each of their despicable faces. Make no mistake - the decision has been made to knuckle under to a minority of a minority that is willing to wage an unholy war caring for nothing but acheiving their desired ends. They will go to any means to accomplish them. If you love justice and fairness, you have no recourse but to hate this decision. It is disgustly weak and cowardly - anyone with an shred of integrity would feel nothing but shame.

Yeah I like that post.

Kind of like most of us who didn't want the stimulus bill, but the dictators said we are going to have it. California voted against that marriage thing and they'll still get screwed because of their dictators. Same thing on the reservation. My tribe had some issues with the council and they played Pomeroy errr....politics on us and stretched things out, held meetings during holidays, etc to get their way. Someone said it's a cowardly way of doing business (on one of the posts) and I 100% agree.

Diogenies (sp) was right.

Next time you find a politician with integrity, alert the board.
:silly:

I would like to see one that can just tell the truth, it was amazing watching Pelosi twist in the wind as she

spun the and dodged questions. Ah, ah, um...

So im just curious, if the natives get there way and decide to end the nickname, how much will this change UND alumni donating to all the Native programs and just donating in general?

I've heard from several big donors that they feel they could use their money in a much better way then support there old school with out there favorite nickname... Money talks folks.

I always said that external forces would eventually do in the Sioux nickname. UND was never going to be able to stay insulated from the radical leftist ideology permeating seemingly every part of American life. It was just a matter of time. And now it's happened. Sad day indeed.

wow what a generalization. by your logic isnt it true that it's the conservatives fault because they gave in? Or maybe its more complicated.

So im just curious, if the natives get there way and decide to end the nickname, how much will this change UND alumni donating to all the Native programs and just donating in general?

I've heard from several big donors that they feel they could use their money in a much better way then support there old school with out there favorite nickname... Money talks folks.

It's JMHO, but I've always been a big believer in sayings like "you reap what you sow" and "you can only ask for as much as you give".

My own University refused to give my voice (and the voices of the overwhelming majority of others) any consideration when they decided to drop Chief Illiniwek. I don't feel they can ask me for consideration in return.

I've heard that somehow I'm "punishing" the current students for something they didn't have a hand in deciding. Sorry, but I'm no more punishing current students by donating somewhere else than I was punishing those other worthy causes before you decided to drop Chief. There's no end to worthy causes. Going out of your way to PO people isn't a way to engender sympathy.

I don't understand how a tribe can vote overwhelmingly in support of the nickname and the "tribal council" can say they are going to make the decision regardless of what their people think.

Tribal politics in general are a joke. They make Washington DC politics look like a professional operation. On reservations, it is not uncommon to have public officials kicked out of office with little or no warning at impromptu meetings. The tribal court system is a bigger joke as many of the important positions, including Chief judges, are occupied by people that don't even have law degrees. It's like going into a 3rd world country and everyone but the people that live on the reservation are to blame (heavy sarcasm). This nickname sham is the only way that people living on the reservation can get back at "those that have wronged them for many years". The sad thing is, nationwide, a relatively small amount of people know about the Sioux. Once the nickname leaves, 20 years from now, no one outside of Grand Forks will know about the Sioux people.

Actually I am not upset about this at all and see it as a positive thing. First and foremost, to get any kind of business deal done with a tribe is like trying to pull teeth with nerf tweezers. Absolutely nothing happens. There has to be a near-term deadline. Setting the sooner deadline takes some of the negotiating time and position away from the other side. There are two possible scenarios to this situation. (1) The tribes, or at least RHHIT, have been posturing for money, personal favors, etc., whatever and drawing this thing out endlessly without actually dealing with it, before finally sitting down to discuss it, or (2) no way, no how is the Fighting Sioux name going to continue.

If it is (1), there is now a deadline and the tribes have to act and get their butts to the table. They have a stake in this and the clock is now really ticking on getting it done. It is time to put up or shut up and get this thing done. And if there is substantial progress and light at the end of the tunnel by Oct. 1, the SBoHE can vote an extension to allow agreements to be finalized. If no progress, it is on to (2).

If it is (2), it never was going to happen so let's get it over and move on. I am tired of the rhetoric, bison scat, and everything else that has been going on. Let's just take the woe-is-me pulpit away from the name-changers and let them go search for their next target of self-victimization.

This is a hard and fast deadline to see if something can be done. We will now know much sooner rather than later.

I am changing my tune a little bit, I still think if it changes go with Cavalry. But for now go with just the University of North Dakota and then bring another court case and not back down this time. But I am really bummed.

Make no mistake - the decision has been made to knuckle under to a minority of a minority that is willing to wage an unholy war caring for nothing but acheiving their desired ends. They will go to any means to accomplish them. If you love justice and fairness, you have no recourse but to hate this decision. It is disgustly weak and cowardly - anyone with an shred of integrity would feel nothing but shame.

Welcome to America in the 21st century. :silly:

wow what a generalization. by your logic isnt it true that it's the conservatives fault because they gave in? Or maybe its more complicated.

There are not enough true conservatives left in this country to stop this madness, and certainly not in higher education.

If it is (1), there is now a deadline and the tribes have to act and get their butts to the table. They have a stake in this and the clock is now really ticking on getting it done.

Unfortunately, Siouxman, I don't agree with this. The deadline means nothing to Ron His Horse is Thunder and I would bet Standing Rock has no intention of doing ANYTHING before October 1st.

You can count on me making a trip from Minneapolis/St Paul to Fargo and Grand Forks SOON in order to scoop up some Sioux gear before it is all gone.