Bemidji State vs. Miami (OH)

dj_hoime

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington Times photo and caption:

Bemidji State fans were many and vocal Thursday at Verizon Center, outnumbering supporters for Miami (Ohio)

20090410-003845-pic-741364418_t756.jpg

Those girls were the best sight outside the Verizon yesterday, that and the person getting arrested (a great welcome to the nation's capitol moment)

Washington Times photo and caption:

Bemidji State fans were many and vocal Thursday at Verizon Center, outnumbering supporters for Miami (Ohio)

20090410-003845-pic-741364418_t756.jpg

I have met that guy in the picture at a tail gate before he is a good guy.

I don't think he has missed to many Beaver games.

I was sorry to see the Beavers' dream fall short but they have every right to be proud of what their program accomplished this year. That's the difference between fairy

tales and fair tale hockey seasons: the fairy tales always have a happy ending but the fairy tale seasons sometimes end too soon. Best of luck next year, Bemidji, and I hope you find a home in the WCHA.

Miami isn't much fun to watch Typical CCHA team. A real uptempo team should be able to do some damage

against them. Get pucks deep and get the goalie moving.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, because Bemidji plays a speed game. Maybe they aren't a "real" uptempo team?

Anyway, I think yesterday's game was a result of Miami having almost two weeks to game plan for BSU's speed and then having the talent & size to execute that game plan. It seemed like whenever BSU attempted to get it deep, Miami was on the puck sooner and stronger and was able to get the puck back up ice and out of the zone. Miami had ample tape to watch from the regional and was obviously prepared.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, because Bemidji plays a speed game. Maybe they aren't a "real" uptempo team?

Miami is a boring team to play and they played the CCHA type of game. MSU is famous for it. BSU got beat yesterday, they didn't get pucks deep and there was a lot of stopages in the game. Miami played the type of game that ended up beating UND a few times this season.

but I will say that anybody who chooses not to watch the BU/Miami game tomorrow night is not a true fan of college hockey.

Not true one bit. What if they have a wedding or a easter celebration they want to attend?

Maybe they like college hockey but don't want to watch either team because the match up doesn't

interest them. Swing and a Miss.

What if it is the nicest day of the spring and they just want to get out of their house they have

been inprisoned in for the whole winter.

Is it possible for you to make a post about anything without making reference to your silly and irrational hatred of the Gophers? Sheesh, I swear you need therapy to get over those deep issues you seem to be suffering from. ???

I actually think that anyone that can like the Goofs and the Sioux has some serious issues because most self respecting Sioux fans that I know would rather do something disgusting that watch the Gophers win a national title.

I'm in Seattle on my own dime visiting my brother and my friends.

I'm not going to spend a minute of it watching a game between one team I don't like (BU) and another team that has had a fluke-like season and is overrated (Miami). BSU was a great story and one I'd root for.... but...

I'm not watching the game. I wouldn't be even if BSU were in it. I might've if UND was in it but even then there is no guarantees.

I am not spending $300+ just to schedule everything around a game where two teams I don't care for are playing regardless of the signifigance.

This is my birth weekend if you will (No, today nor Sunday matter to me, but Saturday is my birthday) and I'm not going to waste it in front of a TV, even for a few hours.

GUess I'm not a true fan.

If you have a wedding to attend I'll give you a pass on that one. If you choose not to watch because you don't like either team, you are not a true fan of college hockey. As an NFL fan, I will watch the Super Bowl every year no matter who is in it. I don't care if the Vikings vs. Patriots, I'll still watch it. If I was just a Packers fan and not really a fan of the NFL as a whole, I would not watch unless the Packers were playing. I'm not saying anybody is right or wrong, just stating the differences between being a fan of a sport vs. being a fan of just one team within that sport.

That's ridiculous.

I choose not to watch because I don't like or don't care for the teams involved AND I have other things to do.

But then again, being a true fan as defined by subjective methodology (such as those defined by DaveK) is ludicrous in its own right.

I'd expect no one to bend over backwards to try to be my definition of a true fan (which is, of course, giving me suite tickets to every Gopher series from now until I die ???)

Hey, if you can like two NHL teams (Bruins and Wild) I can like two NCAA teams. Don't try to hold me to a different standard than you hold yourself to.

No one is holding anyone to a different standard and your analogy is so flawed in so many ways. I done with you go ahead get last word.

I am about ready to lose my patience with you again.

That's ridiculous.

I choose not to watch because I don't like or don't care for the teams involved AND I have other things to do.

But then again, being a true fan as defined by subjective methodology (such as those defined by DaveK) is ludicrous in its own right.

I'd expect no one to bend over backwards to try to be my definition of a true fan (which is, of course, giving me suite tickets to every Gopher series from now until I die ???)

It's beyond ridiculous.

Is it possible for you to make a post about anything without making reference to your silly and irrational hatred of the Gophers? Sheesh, I swear you need therapy to get over those deep issues you seem to be suffering from. ???

Now, steering this topic back to my original point (which had NOTHING to do with the Gophers)... I won't tell anybody what to watch, but I will say that anybody who chooses not to watch the BU/Miami game tomorrow night is not a true fan of college hockey. That doesn't mean they're wrong, it doesn't mean they're a bad person, it just means they don't care all that much about college hockey. It isn't right or wrong, it's just a difference in priorities.

Some people have a favorite college hockey team but won't watch any college hockey games that their favorite team is not playing in. Those people are not really fans of college hockey, they are just fans of their favorite team. That's fine, they're entitled to watch whatever they want to watch. I'm not saying they're wrong. I'm just saying that those people aren't true college hockey fans, just like people who don't watch the Super Bowl aren't true NFL fans.

The way you (over)reacted you'd think I had said something horribly offensive.

Not that it's any of my business, but a couple of things are bothering me here. Why is Goon's distaste of the Gophers "silly and irrational", while your hatred of all things NDSU is justified? Please reconcile that for me. Okay, then you go into this diatribe about anybody that doesn't bother to watch Saturday's final is not a fan? You have stated in the past that if and when the Fighting Sioux name is changed, it will be a "different team"? Maybe you're not a true fan of North Dakota hockey? Maybe I'm wrong, but you've eluded to the fact that you'll pull the plug on your support for the program? That doesn't sound like much of a fan to me, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't mean to pick at you, I'm on the same page as you with the glam metal and long hair, etc. and you do some cool things with sharing your collection of sports videos, but the above points seem to contradict themselves and I'm wondering what you have to say about it.

Not that it's any of my business, but a couple of things are bothering me here. Why is Goon's distaste of the Gophers "silly and irrational", while your hatred of all things NDSU is justified? Please reconcile that for me. Okay, then you go into this diatribe about anybody that doesn't bother to watch Saturday's final is not a fan? You have stated in the past that if and when the Fighting Sioux name is changed, it will be a "different team"? Maybe you're not a true fan of North Dakota hockey? Maybe I'm wrong, but you've eluded to the fact that you'll pull the plug on your support for the program? That doesn't sound like much of a fan to me, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't mean to pick at you, I'm on the same page as you with the glam metal and long hair, etc. and you do some cool things with sharing your collection of sports videos, but the above points seem to contradict themselves and I'm wondering what you have to say about it.

I am waiting for his retort of this one.

I won't tell anybody what to watch, but I will say that anybody who chooses not to watch the BU/Miami game tomorrow night is not a true fan of college hockey.

Wow, chalk me up as another "not true fan of college hockey". ???

I have good friends in town that we haven't seen for quite awhile, so we will more than likely be out on the town. Sure, I could make them sit there in my living room while I watch the game, but I'm not rude like that, especially being that I don't have a rooting interest in the game. If they weren't coming, would I watch the game? Sure I would. I've been to the last four F4, and I've attended the title game each year regardless of if the Sioux were playing or not.

But I guess I'm not a "true fan" of college hockey. I never knew...

From the Sioux blog:

The ACHA All-Americans were announced today and UND's Chay Genoway is on the West second team. Outgoing senior Ryan Martens also was one of five runners-up for the national unsung hero award. Here they are:

First team West

F -- Ryan Stoa, jr, Minnesota

F -- Aaron Palushaj, so, Michigan

F -- Louie Caporusso, so, Michigan

D -- Jamie McBain, jr, Wisconsin

D -- Ian Cole, so, Notre Dame

G -- Alex Stalock, jr, Minnesota-Duluth

Second team West

F -- Chad Rau, sr, Colorado College

F -- Erik Condra, sr, Notre Dame

F -- Carter Camper, so, Miami

D -- Chay Genoway, jr, UND

D -- Erik Gustafsson, so, Northern Michigan

G -- Chad Johnson, sr, Alaska-Fairbanks

First team East

F -- Colin Wilson, so, BU

F -- Viktor Stalberg, jr, Vermont

F -- David McIntyre, jr, Colgate

D -- Matt Gilroy, sr, BU

D -- Zach Miskovic, sr, St. Lawrence

G -- Brad Thiessen, jr, Northeastern

Second team East

F -- James Marcou, so, UMass

F -- Jacques Lamoureux, so, Air Force

F -- Mark Arcobello, jr, Yale

D -- Kevin Shattenkirk, so, BU

D -- Maury Edwards, so, UMass-Lowell

G -- Zane Kalemba, jr, Princeton

Hobey Baker winner -- Gilroy, sr, BU

National rookie of the year -- Kieran Millan, fr, BU

Unsung hero award -- Mike Phillipich, sr, Air Force

Congrats to Genoway and Martens!

You bring up a couple of valid points, Shawn-O, and I will do my best to answer your questions. I don't consider my distaste for the Bison to be more justified than Goon's distaste for the Gophers. The difference, from my perception, is that I don't go to such great lengths to express it. I used to, but after being called out on it I changed my approach. I realized that my ranting and raving about how much I hate the Bison was just as silly and irrational as others ranting and raving about how much they hate the Gophers. Now I try to not say ANYTHING about them for the most part. I'll take a shot once in a while if it's on-topic, but I don't spew hatred in threads that have NOTHING to do with them. As for the other questiom, if by "North Dakota hockey" you mean "a team from North Dakota by ANY name... that is not what I'm a fan of. I'm a fan of the North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX. Change the name = my favorite team no longer exists. I'm a Sioux fan more than I'm a North Dakota fan.

I don't understand your position on this at all, I guess my ties to UND run deeper than that. If the name changes, it will be mostly the same kids on the team the following year.

I appreciate your response, we'll agree to disagree on that one.

I don't understand your position on this at all, I guess my ties to UND run deeper than that. If the name changes, it will be mostly the same kids on the team the following year.

I appreciate your response, we'll agree to disagree on that one.

Being I have two degrees from UND, I like you have a little more loyalty for my favorite Univeristy.

...I'm a fan of the North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX. Change the name = my favorite team no longer exists. I'm a Sioux fan more than I'm a North Dakota fan...

Miami has survived and one could say even flourished after their name change.

UND hockey makes the Fighting Sioux name special, not the other way around.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Neither one of us is right or wrong, we just have different priorities. For the record, I would support a UND team with no nickname but not a different nickname.

You go wear the "M" with Pride. ???:)

DaveK, I know that your position makes sense to you but it doesn't make sense to most people. Again, your description of the Minnesota Twins moving to Florida and becoming the Florida Twins is a totally different situation than a school changing their sports nickname. In your scenario you are taking the entire franchise from one location to another. Most of the people will remain the same, most of the players will remain the same, as will the history of the franchise. One real life example would be the Los Angeles Lakers. They were the Minneapolis Lakers and moved to LA about 1960, but they still recognize the championships they won during the 1950's while they were in Minneapolis. But it doesn't describe the situation that UND may face in the next couple of years.

How about this for a question. Let's say you are a fan of the Minnesota Twins. What would you do if the Minnesota Twins and the Florida Marlins decided to swap nicknames? They would become the Minnesota Marlins and the Florida Twins. After all, everyone knows that the best marlin fishing is in the land of 10,000 lakes. Which team would you be a fan of under those conditions?

I'm guessing that you would become a fan of the Florida Twins. After all, it's the name that is most important to you. Me, I stay a fan of the Minnesota team. I have been for about 40 years. I worry less about what they're called than supporting the team. That's why I will stay a fan of the University of North Dakota sports teams no matter what they're called in the future. Unless they go back to Flickertails, I don't know if I could get behind that. ;-)