SiouxSports.com Forum

2009-2010 Road Trip Planning

01grad

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who are thinking of coming east to Cornell, welcome. I hope to meet some of you. Spring semester begins Jan. 25, so I suspect most students will be back, at least for the Sat. game. There is a ticket exchange where you can post to buy tickets from a season ticket holder who wants to sell.The link for eLynah is here. Click on Forum List and you can get from the ticket site to the forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered my tickets for the Notre Dame tourney in a few weeks, so I'll be there for sure.

It appeared that the upper level tickets were sold out, so we got tickets near the blue line, row 2.

Nicely priced tickets for the 2-game package, although the "fees" certainly bumped it up a bit. :glare:

Is anyone else going to the Cornell series?

I will be in Ithaca both nights for the Cornell-ND showdown. This series has been marked on my calendar for a LONG time!

Could someone please tell me how the Sioux are ranked #3 in all of college hockey when they are currently 6th in their own conference? I realize that rankings should never be taken seriously (especially so early on in the season), but that is a joke of mammoth proportions!

I will be in Ithaca both nights for the Cornell-ND showdown. This series has been marked on my calendar for a LONG time!

Could someone please tell me how the Sioux are ranked #3 in all of college hockey when they are currently 6th in their own conference? I realize that rankings should never be taken seriously (especially so early on in the season), but that is a joke of mammoth proportions!

PAY ATTENTION!

The Sioux are #3 by DEFAULT. Those that could move ahead, have not been winning at all cost either. We had a good start to the season when no one else around us did. We struggled after losing Chay, which is why we sit in 6th. We stayed at #3 nationally by DEFAULT. Our out of conference record is 3-0-1.

Does the Cornell lovefest miss you yet? Aren't you guys supposed to be knowledgeable about these things?

Here is why; UND don't play in a weak league and in fact the Fighting Sioux league that you have to bring it every day your team can lose to the worst team in the league. On the other hand the EZAC teams play in a conference stuffed with cupcakes like Brown, Dartmouth, RPI, SLU etc... If I remember right I Cornell came to the Ralph last year and getting pasted the first night something like 7-3.

PAY ATTENTION!

The Sioux are #3 by DEFAULT. Those that could move ahead, have not been winning at all cost either. We had a good start to the season when no one else around us did. We struggled after losing Chay, which is why we sit in 6th. We stayed at #3 nationally by DEFAULT. Our out of conference record is 3-0-1.

Does the Cornell lovefest miss you yet? Aren't you guys supposed to be knowledgeable about these things?

That would be cute if we were still in the first or second week of the season. But we're not. Historical success aside, the Sioux have been rather unimpressive this season. Why, for instance, should Wisconsin (who has a better record than UND and did well in their recent series against the Sioux) be ranked behind the Sioux? There can be no logical explanation for that.

But congrats on your impressive OOC wins over HE powerhouse Merrimack. :huh:

Here is why; UND don't play in a weak league and in fact the Fighting Sioux league that you have to bring it every day your team can lose to the worst team in the league. On the other hand the EZAC teams play in a conference stuffed with cupcakes like Brown, Dartmouth, RPI, SLU etc...

But that doesn't explain why UND is ranked ahead of other WCHA schools with more impressive resumes this season. Take your blinders off for a minute and look at things more objectively.......then maybe you might understand why UND does not deserve to be ranked so highly.

As for the "EZAC" comments, spare me with that crap. The top few teams in the ECAC, including Cornell, can skate with any team in the country. 13-3-1 Quinnipiac swept tOSU and beat a good UMass squad......yet because of the "prestige" factor, they are ranked below a rather unimpressive UND team. Union started off the season by sweeping a rebounding Maine team that's currently 3rd in the Hockey East. Can't speak for the bottom half of the ECAC, but that is not what you will be up against on the 22nd and 23rd of next month.

If I remember right I Cornell came to the Ralph last year and getting pasted the first night something like 7-3.

You're only telling half the story. Cornell went into the Ralph and earned a split. This year, UND will have their hands full when they come into the hostile environment at the Lynah. Bet on it.

You're only telling half the story. Cornell went into the Ralph and earned a split. This year, UND will have their hands full when they come into the hostile environment at the Lynah. Bet on it.

The only reason you got the win the refs threw you a life line and waved off a legit goal. The fact remains that Schrivens was lit up by the Sioux.

But that doesn't explain why UND is ranked ahead of other WCHA schools with more impressive resumes this season. Take your blinders off for a minute and look at things more objectively.......then maybe you might understand why UND does not deserve to be ranked so highly.

As for the "EZAC" comments, spare me with that crap. The top few teams in the ECAC, including Cornell, can skate with any team in the country. 13-3-1 Quinnipiac swept tOSU and beat a good UMass squad......yet because of the "prestige" factor, they are ranked below a rather unimpressive UND team. Union started off the season by sweeping a rebounding Maine team that's currently 3rd in the Hockey East. Can't speak for the bottom half of the ECAC, but that is not what you will be up against on the 22nd and 23rd of next month.

In case you haven't been paying attention, UND has been playing without thier top defenseman and it does have a factor in the way things have shook out. Imagine if Riley Nash was taken out of your line up. So Zippy you can come on here and beat your chest but the fact remains that Cornell is plays in a weak conference the EZAC. Your league hasn't won a title since the gophers choked one away in 1989.

The only reason you got the win the refs threw you a life line and waved off a legit goal. The fact remains that Schrivens was lit up by the Sioux.

All you've managed to do is come up with a handful of excuses as to why Cornell beat you guys last year, why your team is struggling this season, and even why Harvard won the national championship in 1989. This type of excuse-making is something that I'd expect from fans of Sacred Heart and AIC, not a storied program like North Dakota. Excuses aside, UND better bring their A-game when they come to the Lynah. They will be swept if they underestimate Cornell like you are doing.

All you've managed to do is come up with a handful of excuses as to why Cornell beat you guys last year, why your team is struggling this season, and even why Harvard won the national championship in 1989. This type of excuse-making is something that I'd expect from fans of Sacred Heart and AIC, not a storied program like North Dakota. Excuses aside, UND better bring their A-game when they come to the Lynah. They will be swept if they underestimate Cornell like you are doing.

Look Zippy you're the one beating your chest and crowing over here. If Cornell had to play in a league like the WCHA, Cornell would be middle of the pack team.

That would be cute if we were still in the first or second week of the season. But we're not. Historical success aside, the Sioux have been rather unimpressive this season. Why, for instance, should Wisconsin (who has a better record than UND and did well in their recent series against the Sioux) be ranked behind the Sioux? There can be no logical explanation for that.

But congrats on your impressive OOC wins over HE powerhouse Merrimack. :huh:

1. The polls mean nothing. They aren't based on logic, so trying to find a logical explanation for them is impossible. ;)

2. UND, despite having injuries to all of our senior leaders, still is unbeaten in OOC play. I'll take that any day, especially when those games were against a resurgent Merrimack team, a strong OSU, and #1 Miami. We'll see if they can keep it up against Niagara, Notre Dame/Colgate, and Cornell.

I agree though, the Cornell series will be huge for PWR implications. Hopefully the Sioux can do well there...maybe Genoway will be back... :(

Wow lets review Cornell's schedule (SOS 40th)

November

06 Fri W 5 - 1 Dartmouth Box

07 Sat W 6 - 3 Harvard Box

13 Fri L 2 - 4 at Yale Box

14 Sat W 6 - 0 at Brown Box

20 Fri W 5 - 2 Princeton Box

21 Sat L 2 - 3 Quinnipiac Box

24 Tue W 4 - 2 Colgate Box

28 Sat 1 T 3 - 3 ot vs Boston University (nc) Box

December 2009

04 Fri W 2 - 1 at Rensselaer Box

05 Sat T 2 - 2 ot at Union Box

UND's schedule. (SOS 5th)

October

09 Fri W 5 - 2 Merrimack (nc) Box

10 Sat W 3 - 2 Merrimack (nc) Box

16 Fri W 4 - 0 Minnesota Box

17 Sat T 3 - 3 ot Minnesota Box

23 Fri W 5 - 0 at Alaska-Anchorage Box

24 Sat L 1 - 2 at Alaska-Anchorage Box

November 2009

06 Fri W 4 - 2 at Michigan Tech Box

07 Sat W 4 - 1 at Michigan Tech Box

13 Fri W 4 - 2 St. Cloud State Box

14 Sat L 2 - 3 St. Cloud State Box

20 Fri L 0 - 1 at Denver Box

21 Sat L 2 - 3 at Denver Box

27 Fri 2 W 4 - 1 Ohio State (nc) Box

28 Sat 2 T 5 - 5 ot Miami (nc) Box

December 2009

04 Fri W 4 - 2 at Minnesota-Duluth Box

05 Sat L 2 - 3 ot at Minnesota-Duluth Box

11 Fri T 3 - 3 ot Wisconsin Box

12 Sat L 3 - 4 Wisconsin Box

Game set and match.

Look Zippy you're the one beating your chest and crowing over here. If Cornell had to play in a league like the WCHA, Cornell would be middle of the pack team.

I beg to differ. Cornell would be in the upper-half of any conference in college hockey. Look at how they have performed against teams from the "power conferences" in the NCAA tournament this decade.........

2009 NCAAs: beat Northeastern

2006 NCAAs: beat Colorado College, then lost to UW in triple-overtime

2005 NCAAs: beat Ohio State, then lost to Minnesota in overtime

2003 NCAAs: beat Minnesota State & Boston College, then lost a one-goal game to UNH

2002 NCAAs: lost one-goal game to UNH

They have consistently performed well in the tournament. And these weren't games against the Merrimacks or the Bowling Greens of the power conferences. These were games against some of the better teams from the power conferences in those respective years. Over the past two seasons, Cornell has enjoyed an overall record of 4-1-1 against the power conferences (HE, CCHA, WCHA) with their only loss coming to UND.......before the Big Red rebounded to beat the Sioux in the second game.

The stats speak for themselves.

1. The polls mean nothing. They aren't based on logic, so trying to find a logical explanation for them is impossible. :(

2. UND, despite having injuries to all of our senior leaders, still is unbeaten in OOC play. I'll take that any day, especially when those games were against a resurgent Merrimack team, a strong OSU, and #1 Miami. We'll see if they can keep it up against Niagara, Notre Dame/Colgate, and Cornell.

I agree though, the Cornell series will be huge for PWR implications. Hopefully the Sioux can do well there...maybe Genoway will be back... :huh:

1. Fair enough. I did emphasize this in my initial post.........even so, it is baffling that UND would get so much credit for being a 9-6-3 team. And no team should get "handicap points" for having one of their players injured. Should OU be a top-ten team in college football because they lost Sam Bradford early in the season? Surely, OU would have won more games with Bradford behind center.......but polls shouldn't be based on speculation or "what ifs." They should be based on performance.

2. A resurgent Merrimack team? You mean the same Merrimack team that is currently sitting near the basement of the Hockey East standings with eight points, a team that has lost five of its last six games? I'm not impressed. UND's performance in the Subway Holiday Classic was impressive, but the Sioux have too many losses to be ranked 5th or 6th overall. With a 2-5-2 record in your last nine, I would rank the Sioux between 10-15 as of today. Wisconsin and UMD should be ranked higher as should a few teams from outside the WCHA like QU, Ferris State and possibly MSU.

Good luck against Niagara! They stole a victory against my RIT Tigers last weekend.......hopefully you put them in their place in the Shillelagh Tournament. All I have to say is that NU won't get away with taking tons of penalties like they did against RIT.

I beg to differ. Cornell would be in the upper-half of any conference in college hockey. Look at how they have performed against teams from the "power conferences" in the NCAA tournament this decade.........

2009 NCAAs: beat Northeastern

2006 NCAAs: beat Colorado College, then lost to UW in triple-overtime

2005 NCAAs: beat Ohio State, then lost to Minnesota in overtime

2003 NCAAs: beat Minnesota State & Boston College, then lost a one-goal game to UNH

2002 NCAAs: lost one-goal game to UNH

They have consistently performed well in the tournament. And these weren't games against the Merrimacks or the Bowling Greens of the power conferences. These were games against some of the better teams from the power conferences in those respective years. Over the past two seasons, Cornell has enjoyed an overall record of 4-1-1 against the power conferences (HE, CCHA, WCHA) with their only loss coming to UND.......before the Big Red rebounded to beat the Sioux in the second game.

The stats speak for themselves.

what was the result against that powerhouse from the cha bemidji state last year I forget? :huh:

what was the result against that powerhouse from the cha bemidji state last year I forget? :huh:

Bemidji State is legit. I used to debate their legitimacy with Millsy (I believe that was his name), a big-time BSU fan. Last year's Frozen Four appearance wowed me and their success so far this season proves to me that they are more than a one-year flash-in-the-pan. They should be a decent team in the WCHA.