SiouxSports.com Forum

Final Five Lineup

stharish

Anyone have an idea where the Sioux will be in the Final Five bracket after this weekend. I know they will be re-seeded based on regular season points (which Sioux are #1) but which game will they play on Friday? The afternon or night game? If I remember right from last year I think they'll play at 2:07pm.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have an idea where the Sioux will be in the Final Five bracket after this weekend. I know they will be re-seeded based on regular season points (which Sioux are #1) but which game will they play on Friday? The afternon or night game? If I remember right from last year I think they'll play at 2:07pm.

Assuming we beat Tech, we will play the Friday night game unless there are upsets in the first round of the playoffs and Minnesota becomes a number 2 or 3 seed for the Final Five. If Minnesota is there and does not have to play the playin game Minensota plays Friday night. Money talks.

So we'll see after this weekend.

Assuming we beat Tech, we will play the Friday night game unless there are upsets in the first round of the playoffs and Minnesota becomes a number 2 or 3 seed for the Final Five. If Minnesota is there and does not have to play the playin game Minensota plays Friday night. Money talks.

Even if Minnesota beats St.Cloud, they always get the friday night game for TV reasons. They give it to them every year. It sucks it does not go to the highest seed but this is the way the do it.

Even if Minnesota beats St.Cloud, they always get the friday night game for TV reasons. They give it to them every year. It sucks it does not go to the highest seed but this is the way the do it.

I forgot something in my last post. IF MN is the #5 seed they will play the play in game and then if they win they will play UND Friday Night. My bad, I think I have it right now. If not I am sorry.

(There is a final five thread located somewhere down a bit, mod's, care to merge?)

Add to that, ASSUMING we make it, the #1 seed (us) always plays on Friday night, unless the "Minnesota Rule" comes into play.

Here is a scenario that would put UND in the afternoon game:

First round winners and re-seeding:

1 UND

2 CC

3 Minnesota

4 Mankato

5 AA

Thurs: Mankato vs AA

Fri afternoon: UND vs Mankato/AA

Fri evening: CC vs UMN (this is due to the Minnesota rule)

So you can see, it will take 2 first round upsets from teams ranked 6-9th to get UND out of the Friday night game.

Buy the entire package if you can, this is great hockey! This year will be way better than previous years with teams fighting for the autobid from winning the tourney.

I guess I'm old school and think that talking about this is putting the cart before the horse . . . the Sioux have to win two games before they get to the FF . . . let's focus on the task at hand first. :whistling:

I wouldn't want to think about it till the next series is over.

(us) always plays on Friday night, unless the "Minnesota Rule" comes into play.

That rule pisses me off. I hope SCSU put the Goofs to bed for the season this weekend so we don't have to suffer from that stupid rule.

This stupid "goof troop" rule is more proof of how the WCHA is run by a bunch of spineless goofer lovers. UND has been screwed by this rule before. i want to say it was 2005 when UND beat the BADgers in the 4-5 game and then had to turn around and play DU in the infamous Bina hit game in the afternoon because the goof troop was in it and had to play the night game. For there to be any sence of equality in this the 1 seed should play the 4/5 winner in the night game and the 2 vs 3 game should be in the afternoon so that the 4/5 winner dosent have an unfair turnaround.

I'm only going off of a very sketchy memory here, but I thought there was something a couple years ago where the WCHA said it was not going to use the automatic Gopher/Friday night game deal?

I was never able to get a confirmation of this rule, I even sent a message to the WCHA office but it went unaswered. :whistling:

I was never able to get a confirmation of this rule, I even sent a message to the WCHA office but it went unaswered. :whistling:

Send a email to your AD and ask him why the Gophers play the night game on Friday night. Since he is one of 10

AD's that vote on the format.

This stupid "goof troop" rule is more proof of how the WCHA is run by a bunch of spineless goofer lovers. UND has been screwed by this rule before. i want to say it was 2005 when UND beat the BADgers in the 4-5 game and then had to turn around and play DU in the infamous Bina hit game in the afternoon because the goof troop was in it and had to play the night game. For there to be any sence of equality in this the 1 seed should play the 4/5 winner in the night game and the 2 vs 3 game should be in the afternoon so that the 4/5 winner dosent have an unfair turnaround.

UND was the beneficiary of this rule in 2001 and 2004 when they were the #1 seed and got the 4/5 play-in winner in a short turnaround on Friday afternoon.

This stupid "goof troop" rule is more proof of how the WCHA is run by a bunch of spineless goofer lovers.

They're not Gopher lovers, they're money lovers. If the Final Five was held in Madison the same rule would apply to the Badgers always playing Friday night. It has nothing to do with Minnesota, it's about money.

i really dont care about the whole night game thing vs day game. it would be great to have the 1 seed play that early friday game as its suppose to be deisgned to give the 1 seed more rest for the saturday title game and also to play the play in game winner with shorter rest as well so rewarding the 1 seed overall. doesnt really bother me though. it wont matter as the gophers will lose in 3 games to scsu anyhow :whistling:

go sioux

there are only 2 real dangerous teams in the wcha that has proven to be so and thats the sioux and pioneers, now that doesnt mean they will meet in final 5 title for sure as we all know but i guess i mean ncaa tourney wise

They're not Gopher lovers, they're money lovers. If the Final Five was held in Madison the same rule would apply to the Badgers always playing Friday night. It has nothing to do with Minnesota, it's about money.

not that i care much about the issue but you are wrong in a way as you pretty much stated that in your post comparing to uw. you say its all about the money and nothing to do with mineesota :whistling: and the reason it is because of the gophers being right there :blush: pretty easy to realize that. so if you used the same analogy if it was in madison then yes it would also be all about the badgers + money as they would be the reason for the money :ohmy:

go sioux

I'm only going off of a very sketchy memory here, but I thought there was something a couple years ago where the WCHA said it was not going to use the automatic Gopher/Friday night game deal?

Received confirmation from someone I know and trust who says that my memory is incorrect and MN will play the Friday night game if they are playing on Friday.

i really dont care about the whole night game thing vs day game. it would be great to have the 1 seed play that early friday game as its suppose to be deisgned to give the 1 seed more rest for the saturday title game and also to play the play in game winner with shorter rest as well so rewarding the 1 seed overall. doesnt really bother me though. it wont matter as the gophers will lose in 3 games to scsu anyhow :whistling:

go sioux

there are only 2 real dangerous teams in the wcha that has proven to be so and thats the sioux and pioneers, now that doesnt mean they will meet in final 5 title for sure as we all know but i guess i mean ncaa tourney wise

There are only 2 reasons I care about the rule, in this order:

1. I prefer Final Five Friday's when the Sioux are playing in the night game. I love to relax and enjoy the afternoon game with the anticipation of the night's contest yet ahead of me. If the Sioux lose in the afternoon it kind of bites for the night contest, and if they win in the afternoon, the night is anti-climactic for the most part. What I care about is if the Sioux are ever, by seed, scheduled to play Friday night but get bumped to the afternoon because of this rule. That bugs me.

2. One team get's special dispensation to allow a greater percentage of their fans to show up. Yes, I hate sitting through the Alphabet with a house packed with gopher fans. They can take an afternoon off work like the rest of us. O wait, maybe not. Most of us are their bosses.

go sioux

Disagree. Was not that impressed with DU and frankly don't understand the love affair with them. Throw Bozak in there and I'll still have the same opinion. I was 100 times more impressed with CC when I saw them than I was with DU. I said last week DU wasn't going to beat CC and no one believed me. Well, look at that, I was right. So I negate any argument that says there's only 2 teams in the WCHA worth anything. Just my opinion.

Disagree. Was not that impressed with DU and frankly don't understand the love affair with them. Throw Bozak in there and I'll still have the same opinion. I was 100 times more impressed with CC when I saw them than I was with DU. I said last week DU wasn't going to beat CC and no one believed me. Well, look at that, I was right. So I negate any argument that says there's only 2 teams in the WCHA worth anything. Just my opinion.

I agree with you and was dissapointed that CC did not win - I thought it would be hands down even though it was on DU's ice.

CC is - in my opinion - the most dangerous team not to win the CUP and will make their presence in the Final 5

but then again - it all depends on what color the ucci group (host team by all accounts) perms are this year

i friken hate DU and have no love affair with them so you can count me out of that assumption you stated of some. they had a hell of a season and are loaded as a team and they get bozak back who is one of their best players. i just think they are dangerous along with the sioux. cc is very solid but 100 times more impressed would be a stretch. i would rank cc as my 3rd most dangerous team for sure. then after that there isnt a team i would ever rely upon. the funny thing is cc wouldnt even be in the tourney if it ended today and thats theor own fault as if they had not blown that DU game a few weeks back they would be a couple places higher in the pairwise. they HAVE to win their series and then maybe 1 more game to get in. cant wait to see how this plays out!

CC is a perennial playoff choker. DU knows how to win big games. That alone makes DU more dangerous than CC, not to mention their superior depth.