SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-2009 State Tournament

HockeyHigh

Obviously I would have liked to have seen South win the tournament, but having said that...

As a goalie parent, I have to say that I'm happy for Meland and I appreciate what he did for his team. They were by no means considered the odds-on favorite going in to the tournament, and they were outshot by a substantial margin in both the semifinal and championship games, yet they still walked away with the title thanks to their netminder single-handedly defeating two superior opponents on back to back nights. Definitely a feel-good story, especially considering that this particular kid is a senior and had to ride the bench for a good portion of the season.

Congratulations Aaron!!! You earned it, and you deserve it!!! ???

Actually, Red River proved they were the best team in the state. Central and South may have had better individual parts, but being individuals got them both a birth in the 3rd place game.

Fargo South continues the tradition of coming up short when it matters most.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Red River proved they were the best team in the state. Central and South may have had better individual parts, but being individuals got them both a birth in the 3rd place game.

Fargo South continues the tradition of coming up short when it matters most.

They werent the best team in the state. They just won three games in a row...people say it all the time the best team doesn't always win. In this case they rode a hot goalie and a couple lucky breaks to win.

They werent the best team in the state. They just won three games in a row...people say it all the time the best team doesn't always win. In this case they rode a hot goalie and a couple lucky breaks to win.

Isn't that the wonderful thing about high school and college hockey? One game and your out. If you dont bring your best, your bound to go home. Was BC the best team in the country last year? Did they deserve to win it? How about Michigan State the year before? How about when UND lost to DU 1-0, when we had Parise and Bochenski? We were amazing that year and didn't win it.

Thats what makes HS and college great, one game and your done. You ride a hot goalie or a player whose on fire and you certainly get lucky breaks to win!

I haven't seen it mentioned out here, and thought it deserved a comment. Luke Johnson was the player that impressed me the most out of anyone at the tournament. If he was a senior in HS people would be saying "Wow, he has pretty good skill, good composure, plays smart, makes good decisions, etc.", but for him to do that as an 8th grader is amazing.

I have heard that there is the possiblity that he is going to Central next year...if he were to win a championship with Central that would have to be a first, wouldn't it? The first player that won state championships with 2 different schools?

Whether he stays at RR or goes to Central - I'm guessing he'll play through his sophomore year and MAYBE junior year, and then will be gone.

Either way...what an impressive hockey player. I'd say he's got a big future ahead of him in hockey!

I haven't seen it mentioned out here, and thought it deserved a comment. Luke Johnson was the player that impressed me the most out of anyone at the tournament. If he was a senior in HS people would be saying "Wow, he has pretty good skill, good composure, plays smart, makes good decisions, etc.", but for him to do that as an 8th grader is amazing.

I have heard that there is the possiblity that he is going to Central next year...if he were to win a championship with Central that would have to be a first, wouldn't it? The first player that won state championships with 2 different schools?

Whether he stays at RR or goes to Central - I'm guessing he'll play through his sophomore year and MAYBE junior year, and then will be gone.

Either way...what an impressive hockey player. I'd say he's got a big future ahead of him in hockey!

Yes, I was definitely impressed with his play. His calmness was amazing. Why do people figure he will go to Central? Any basis for that? Oh well, it will be fun to watch him through the years and maybe someday end up in a Sioux jersey.

Yes, I was definitely impressed with his play. His calmness was amazing. Why do people figure he will go to Central? Any basis for that? Oh well, it will be fun to watch him through the years and maybe someday end up in a Sioux jersey.

His dad, Steve, grew up in GF and went to Central. I had heard (not sure how accurate this is) that he wanted to go to Central this year and checked into what it would take to be able to go there, however since he goes to Schroeder middle school in RR's district he had no choice, and had to go to RR. However, next year he will be a 9th grader and can choose to go to Central. Again, this is what I heard, not sure how accurate it is, and since he won a title at RR I wonder if that changes anything.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him wearing the Sioux jersey in college!

His dad, Steve, grew up in GF and went to Central. I had heard (not sure how accurate this is) that he wanted to go to Central this year and checked into what it would take to be able to go there, however since he goes to Schroeder middle school in RR's district he had no choice, and had to go to RR. However, next year he will be a 9th grader and can choose to go to Central. Again, this is what I heard, not sure how accurate it is, and since he won a title at RR I wonder if that changes anything.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him wearing the Sioux jersey in college!

Luke's uncle, Chad Johnson (another ex-Sioux player), is one of Dean Blais' assistants in Fargo.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/109597/

Classy Fargo South, I thought Grand Forks people were the poor sports. Also, there must be more to it. I can tell you that you don't get billed for locker room cleanup if all you do is smear a little peanut butter on a shower wall.

Also, I am afraid to know what the team had peanut butter in the shower for. But hey, whatever floats your boat I guess.

I was disappointed to see Fargo South's coaches reply- It didn't seem to reflect dissappointment in his players behavior, instead he seemed to think all is well- well apparently, all is not well-there was a problem, and it sounds like you are refusing to address it.

I thought it was a "just another day at the rink" kind of reply too.

Disappointing.

Dave,

I played high school hockey back in the late 70's - early 80's and South had a bad reputation back then. It was so bad for your Bruins that they could not stay in any of the motels up in GF because they would trash them.

South had players that tried to be the Hanson Brothers from Slap Shot.

If the coach made the kids clean up the mess, I don't see why this is an issue. :D

Is it typical anti-Fargo propaganda, or is the coach not telling the truth? I doubt any of us will ever know the truth.

Again, I'd like to see your response if the same exact thing happened with RR kids at the UP Center. Highly doubtful it would be anything like this.

I said there are two possibilities here, and I didn't say that I absolutely positively believe one over the other. Either the coach made the kids clean up the mess like he said and this shouldn't be an issue or else there's more to it than what the coach is saying. Either one of those two scenarios is very possible, and I would say the same thing if this happened with RR kids at the UP Center. I think that what I said was pretty objective, not exactly saying the South kids are totally innocent but at the same time not throwing them under the bus either because I don't know all the facts.

To state that they absolutely did nothing wrong without knowing all the facts would be biased and unobjective. To assume guilt and throw them under the bus without knowing all the facts would be equally biased and unobjective.

Peanut butter on a shower wall could be fixed in about 5 minutes with a hose. REA would not be making an issue of it unless there is more to it. We may or may not find out what the "more to it" actually is. Maybe if the coach instilled more discipline Fargo South wouldn't have had yet another year of supposedly top level talent finishing 4th in the state.

Peanut butter on a shower wall could be fixed in about 5 minutes with a hose. REA would not be making an issue of it unless there is more to it. We may or may not find out what the "more to it" actually is. Maybe if the coach instilled more discipline Fargo South wouldn't have had yet another year of supposedly top level talent finishing 4th in the state.

I heard it wasn't peanut butter. nice cover though. well, it could have been peanut butter if it was digested. pathetic. who does that??

I heard it wasn't peanut butter. nice cover though. well, it could have been peanut butter if it was digested. pathetic. who does that??

I don't know which is a worse thought, what you are suggesting, or the idea of a bunch of high school hockey players running around slapping peanut butter on each other in the shower. Gross.

I am not a fan of the Fargo South Bruins, and definitely think it is unacceptable to damage a locker room because you lost a hockey game, but let's get over ourselves for a minute here. They made a big mistake, and they cleaned up after themselves, as quoted by the coach in the paper. The school AD said they have not yet received a bill. Were any of you in the locker room? Did any of you see what they were doing? You "heard" it was not peanut butter, but do you know if it was or was not peanut butter? I highly doubt it, so let's not speculate and make up rumor when the only ones who know what happened there are the players and staff from Fargo South HS. Let's try give the coach a chance to make some changes. If this becomes a recurring theme with the Fargo South team, something will have to be done.

By no means does that justify it, but it goes to show that this particular incident in no way shape or form represents what Fargo hockey is all about (which some people with an anti-Fargo agenda want so desperately to believe that it does). Hockey players (and athletes in general) tend to take their frustrations out on inanimate objects when they're disappointed in their performance, this is nothing new. Yes, it is immature to trash a locker room. I would tend to speculate that this isn't the first time a hockey team has trashed a locker room. I'm sure there have been other trashed locker rooms that we never heard about. It is very likely that some of them involved Fargo teams as well as (GASP) Grand Forks teams. Kids are kids and they're all capable of stupidity regardless what town they reside in. Anybody who thinks that this one particular incident makes Fargo hockey classless and refuses to believe that a team from their own town would ever be capable of pulling something similar is ignorant and naive. Now, again, if the kids made a mess of the locker room and the coach made them clean it up... good for the coach and I don't see why this is an issue. If there's more to it than that, then maybe it should be an issue. But, unless you were there and have some inside information, please refrain from assuming there is more to it for the sole purpose of pushing your anti-Fargo agenda.

South was just mad because they were the favorite to win and they ended up taking 4th! Haha. Maybe next year guys...and classy comment by South's coach..looks like they picked the perfect coach with the whole "South" ego.

but it goes to show that this particular incident in no way shape or form represents what Fargo hockey is all about (which some people with an anti-Fargo agenda want so desperately to believe that it does). Hockey players (and athletes in general) tend to take their frustrations out on inanimate objects when they're disappointed in their performance, this is nothing new. Yes, it is immature to trash a locker room. I would tend to speculate that this isn't the first time a hockey team has trashed a locker room. I'm sure there have been other trashed locker rooms that we never heard about. It is very likely that some of them involved Fargo teams as well as (GASP) Grand Forks teams. Kids are kids and they're all capable of stupidity regardless what town they reside in. Anybody who thinks that this one particular incident makes Fargo hockey classless and refuses to believe that a team from their own town would ever be capable of pulling something similar is ignorant and naive. Now, again, if the kids made a mess of the locker room and the coach made them clean it up... good for the coach and I don't see why this is an issue. If there's more to it than that, then maybe it should be an issue. But, unless you were there and have some inside information, please refrain from assuming there is more to it for the sole purpose of pushing your anti-Fargo agenda.

Got to love the "everyone does it" argument :sad: