SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Player of the Week - Week 1

Ray77

In the Prospective Recruits thread there are some posts about a past player, Malcolm Parks. People are sharing their memories about him and this got me to thinking...why not have a "player of the week" thread, where we can talk about past players. People can share their stories - big games they had, their stats, where they were from, or any other interesting story about that player. Sioux hockey has a rich and storied tradition - past players have made Sioux hockey what it is today - why not share stories, information, and learn about them? Also, with new Sioux fans coming from youngsters growing up or maybe older fans from other parts of the country who are just starting to follow the Sioux, this is a good way to learn about past players and the Sioux hockey's history and tradition. Hopefully this is something people will like and contribute to...if not, then I'm an idiot and we can discontinue this idea.

Each week we can choose a new player for people to share their stories about.

This week's player of the week - Ian Kidd.

My first contribution - Ian Kidd wants to go to Detroit too!

Heavy Metal Hockey

great idea. why dont you choose a random new player every monday morning so its controlled and then we can all jump in and keep it about that player for that week and so forth. this will be a great tool for some of the younger fans as well to expand their sioux hockey knowledge regarding players that they may not know much about. sweet idea ray!!

would be a good idea to link their hockeydb,com profile for basic info as well

IAN KIDD HOCKEYDB

looks like he had 20 games up in the show. i wasnt aware of that. thats sweet.

60 points on that hrkac circus team. wow

again ray, this is a great idea!

I remember a big game against the gophers on TV where the announcers were saying there was a hitting contest between Kidd and most of the gophers team.

He didn't back down one bit. He dished out more than he received.

How about the massive comeback in Duluth sparked by Mr. Kidd.

He was #4 was he not?

Parks was 11.

My memory of Ian Kidd is that myself and a couple of my elementary school friends saw him at meet the Sioux and thought he was Jim Archibald. :) We were all sad when he signed "Ian Kidd" and not "Jim Archibald". The dark hair and mustache was enough to confuse a couple ten year olds.

It's crazy to look at the young Pat Sweeney in that video! I also stand corrected from an earlier post as Bobby Joyce is clearly wearing the C, and there is no letter on Malcolm Parks.

great idea. why dont you choose a random new player every monday morning so its controlled and then we can all jump in and keep it about that player for that week and so forth. this will be a great tool for some of the younger fans as well to expand their sioux hockey knowledge regarding players that they may not know much about. sweet idea ray!!

would be a good idea to link their hockeydb,com profile for basic info as well

IAN KIDD HOCKEYDB

looks like he had 20 games up in the show. i wasnt aware of that. thats sweet.

60 points on that hrkac circus team. wow

again ray, this is a great idea!

Thanks...that sounds good. Every Monday I can post a new POTW. We'll let Ian Kidd go through next Monday (Jan 12th) and I'll post a new player at that time.

In the 1987 championship game vs. Michigan State played in the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, Kidd scored a goal and had 2 assists (all in the 1st period) in the Sioux's 5-3 victory. He was also named to the All-Tournament team.

All American that year along with Hrkac and Joyce. Belfour was second team I believe.

Kidds hit on Duluths Skeeter Moore, somewhat cheap, sending Moore down and out for the rest of the game.

Frontier justice on that one. Moore kicked Kidd's skates out as they headed at high speed to the end boards. Kidd was incensed. From the second he got back on his skates you could see that he was single-minded in his pursuit. He tried twice to slash Moore but couldn't quite get a good shot. Finally he got close enough for that nasty cross-check.

Who was the first team goaltender that year?

Gary Kruzich from Bowling Green. He was 28-7-2 with 8 assists, 19 penalty minutes, a 3.31 GAA and .883 save percentage.

Belfour, on the other hand, was 29-4-0 with 2 assists, 6 penalty minutes, a 2.43 GAA and .915 save percentage...oh, and a National Championship.

Makes sense to me why Gary Kruzich was the 1st team choice while Belfour was 2nd team! :D

NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Award Winners (end of page 3, beginning of page 4)

Ed Belfour's Hockey DB Page

Gary Kruzich's Hockey DB Page

Frontier justice on that one. Moore kicked Kidd's skates out as they headed at high speed to the end boards. Kidd was incensed. From the second he got back on his skates you could see that he was single-minded in his pursuit. He tried twice to slash Moore but couldn't quite get a good shot. Finally he got close enough for that nasty cross-check.

I talked to Kidd in Duluth during last years series; he was in Mother's after the Saturday afternoon game...seemed like a decent guy; I did ask him about Skeeter Moore and he told me pretty much the same story...He actually seemed a little pissed; few people remember what led up to the hit on the Skeeter...IIRC Moore went off the ice on a stretcher...He did not play the next night; just sat there with his neck brack on...Ian Kidd is Gresham, Oregon's claim to fame for UND Hockey...