BSU 25

Saves:

Eidsness: 22

Dalton: 36

Power Play:

UND: 1/5 12 shots

BSU: 0/1 (only 11 seconds)

Coach:

-We closed down pretty well. You know it's gonna be hard going into the third period. I thought we got back on our heals too much in the third, but we did a better job defensively. Second period was a little better defensively. We did good offensively in the first two periods.

-We didn't get enough out of a couple of guys in our lineup tonight and that's a concern. The puck was bouncing like a ball... that's tough for defensemen. Big adjustment was having the third forward going for fifty fifty pucks in the neutral zone.

-No question that the VV line was very good tonight. They did a lot of good things. They had a couple shifts where they had long shifts and gave up an outnumbered chance coming back, but they did very good.

-Duncan is doing pretty good in the middle. Had a tough start in the beginning, went 0/4 or 0/5 on faceoffs. He's a smart player... he played up the middle in junior hockey. He's becoming more and more comfortable there. Whether or not we have the right combination with him we'll have to see.

-This was a greasy road win, we had battle through sixty minutes. We had to clean some things up, and we did that. Eidsness didn't let a goal in the last forty minutes of the hockey game. Great save there at the end.

Trupp: Player of the Game

-Pretty exciting start. Got the goal right away. They showed lots of characted and scored two right away. We didn't let down and it turned out to be a pretty good game. They're a really good hockey team. We showed a lot of characted by coming back from being behind twice tonight. That's something we take pride in.

-We talked in between the second and third about playing good D and we shut them down in the third. Our line is new, both those guys are really good hockey players. We played really well tonight, it was a lot of fun. Their a tough hockey team, came out hitting, and these are the fun games to play in... old time hockey in a lively barn like this. Tomorrow will be another battle.

Roughneck Performance of the Game: (?) Ben Blood

Three Stars:

1st: Evan Trupp - starting to show what he's capable of doing 1g, 1a, 4 shots, +2 on the night

2nd: Matt Frattin - really visible, three assists (first time), that line was clicking

3rd: Matt Read (BSU) - good speed, great hands, good instinct

Not a good 3rd period. A good team should put them away and not leave it up to a post to save the win. I don't understnad why they backed off on the forechecking pressure, BSU looks to be a horrible team breaking out from their end.

That said, these games with BSU are probably meaningless. The most realistic chance to make the NCAA's is to win the WCHA tourny. To do that they almost have to finish top 3 which is possible.

Not a good 3rd period. A good team should put them away and not leave it up to a post to save the win. I don't understnad why they backed off on the forechecking pressure, BSU looks to be a horrible team breaking out from their end.

That said, these games with BSU are probably meaningless. The most realistic chance to make the NCAA's is to win the WCHA tourny. To do that they almost have to finish top 3 which is possible.

I'm slightly bothered by that stereotypical statement. We did what we had to do to get a road win. Sure, we could have scored a couple more to put them away, but that third period was a defensive battle and we weren't able to do that. It's not going to happen every time. Just my opinion.

BSU isn't that bad of a team they started 1-6 and went 7-2 before losing tonight.

Duncan Miller and Gregoire had no chemistry. I don't look for any to sit, but they do need to shuffle.

VV Trupp and Frattin looked good. I'd actually like to keep those guys together building chemistry for next year.

Malone actually played a decent game.

Defensive breakdowns hung BE out to dry a couple times.

I think you gotta get Toews in tomorrow.

I'm slightly bothered by that stereotypical statement. We did what we had to do to get a road win. Sure, we could have scored a couple more to put them away, but that third period was a defensive battle and we weren't able to do that. It's not going to happen every time. Just my opinion.

When the shots by period are 20-19-1 (according to the box: http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20090102&am...su&gender=m) then the 3rd period should be a major concern. With a one goal lead entering the third you need to keep putting pressure on...they were very fortunate thast BSU didn't tie it up at the end. Wonder what the posts on the board would look like then ? If the third period play was by design then they need to reconsider their plan.

1 SOG is misleading, there were a few opportunities where we missed the net or had a shot blocked. We did pull back the forecheck in order to play D, but we did put more pressure on them than the 1 SOG indicates.

That being said, I'd feel a lot better about things had we hung a couple more on them.

Duncan Miller and Gregoire had no chemistry. I don't look for any to sit, but they do need to shuffle.

VV Trupp and Frattin looked good. I'd actually like to keep those guys together building chemistry for next year.

Malone actually played a decent game.

Defensive breakdowns hung BE out to dry a couple times.

I think you gotta get Toews in tomorrow.

How many games have Dunc Miller and Gregoire played together?

I kind of like what they did. Malone was awesome on faceoffs and had a nice assist on the Hextall goal.

I would like to see Toews in the line up.

1 SOG is misleading, there were a few opportunities where we missed the net or had a shot blocked. We did pull back the forecheck in order to play D, but we did put more pressure on them than the 1 SOG indicates.

That being said, I'd feel a lot better about things had we hung a couple more on them.

Hard to score without getting shots on goal. They had 39 in the first two periods and also missed the net and had shots blocked. If you didn't know the final score but only knew that und was up 4-3 after two and had 39 shots on goal but would only have 40 for the game, how confident would you be that they won the game, especially given that bsu had 15 shots and 3 goals in the first two periods and would get 10 shots in the third ?

I do always get nervous when we change the style of play with a lead int he third. That is usually a recipe for disaster.

As for the chemistry issue on the top line. I agree that it takes a few games to get great chemistry, but usually you can feel some chemistry right away. I didn't get that feeling tonight.

Ask the world Junior team today if they would take a 4-3 win over a weaker opponent in a hostile environment.....

The Beavers are a good hockey team that can't be overlooked. After the GLI, I'll take any positive outcome that we can get. 10-10-1, not the greatest record, but a win tomorrow puts us over 500 heading into the goofs series. If we can get anything over 2 points in the goofs series I think we have a very strong possibility to get home ice in the postseason.

Ugly wins are better than good losses any day.

I'm sorry...I thought this was the "Sioux @ Beavers" thread. If I wanted a play-by-play of the Goofer game, I would have gone to the What's Going On In The WCHA thread or just turned on the TV.

I am sorry I didn't know what you were getting at. Sorry. :) I think its funny we have so many gopher fans hanging around.