SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ UMD BULLDOGS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tUMD plays a lot more wide open than UAA.

Ok, if you say so. :lol:

I think I'm a little better judge of what style of game tUMD plays than you are.

Neat. I would hope so. But you don't have to get all defensive here. Your team just came out of the weekend with three points, you should be happy. :D

All I said is that after watching the last 4 Sioux games, that UMD and UAA play a similar style...which is just my opinion. They both clog the passing lanes, don't give up much space to the opposition while in the defensive zone (and on the PK), block a ton of shots, and in general play sound defensive hockey. I apologize if you don't agree with my opinion...you're entitled to yours.

:)

I had the opportunity to see Cornell play Dartmouth tonight and if the Sioux play the way I understand they played this weekend, Cornell will win both games next weekend. Hopefully Cornell will be distracted by visiting the Ralph :lol:

it could be tough for us... our most coveted lost recruit, riley nash, will proably be the most offensively talented player on the ice next weekend. heres to a sweep for the good guys :D that would be us.

Just got in the door from our road trip to Duluth. Good fan base for the Sioux and loud up in Duluth. Nice job fans! Very frustrating weekend when it came to getting some points. I was down in the tunnel taking photos before and during the game and you can see the frustration on the staff and the players too. We've been to 7 games so far this year and I have seen some improvement, but we need to get better.

I'm sure it's been talked about, but the officiating was absolutely brutal. Both ways. I counted 7-8 penalties, that by the book, are penalties on Friday night in my end that weren't called. The calls all weekend were mind-boggling. My buddy and I were joking about how long we could go without a penalty being called on Saturday

Is Shepherd the head official of the league and the only one that can call penalties? Because Hunt only called one penalty during Saturday's game(Genoway's).

The hit that Kozek laid on the UMD player, called a charge, was terrible. He never accelerated, because he had just started his shift. Apparently checking is not allowed. Tell the UMD player to keep his head up and on a swivel.

The Hextall goalie interference penalty that started the demise at the end of the 3rd was even more troubling for me. You have Shepherd in the corner watching this play develop. Stalock puts his stick out, slows down Hextall, and then falls backwards into net. Totally ruined the 5 minute major PP we had, or at least half of it.

Those are the big ones that stand out in my mind. It seemed to me like they let more stuff go Friday and tried to make up for it on Saturday in the first period. We were flat on Saturday regardless, but getting called for roughing/charging/checking seemed to really mellow the team for the rest of the game. I don't remember seeing a big hit the rest of the game from us.

I also really hate the delayed penalty call that turns into 4x4 situations. One example: Malone laid out a guy cleanly, then after the whistle the UMD guy retaliates against Malone. Genoway jumps on the guy and somehow it leads to a 4x4.

What happend to consistency among the officials/league?

My last comment: Was/Is the ice known to be bad at the DECC or did the puck just seem to be bouncing everywhere all weekend?

I hate to call players out, but Martens and LaPoint look lost.

I was expecting Lapoint to be a solid two way d-man after his impressive USHL season. He just doesn't look like he has the skill or foot speed to be effective at this level. I hope my assessment is wrong, but by this time in his development I though he would be better acclimated to the college game.

I hate to call players out, but Martens and LaPoint look lost.

I was expecting Lapoint to be a solid two way d-man after his impressive USHL season. He just doesn't look like he has the skill or foot speed to be effective at this level. I hope my assessment is wrong, but by this time in his development I though he would be better acclimated to the college game.

He hasn't performed great, but he is still a sophomore. I don't think he was recruited for his strong defensive presence, despite his height. I think he is supposed to be a good offensive presence with good passing and powerplay skills. Has he done this? Not exceptionally. But, he will come. All the defensemen that come through here take longer than the forwards. If he was a junior this year I'd be a little more worried. He's still building muscle, just like Joe Finley. Finley was pretty scrawny coming to UND as well, and his presence is missed for sure with him out. LaPoint, in my opinion, is in a similar boat.

Martens has actually been one of our better forwards since the second half of last season, in my opinion. He creates a lot of plays on offense and is always skating harder than anyone else on the ice. It's hard to get in a good rhythm though when you're not playing all the games.