SiouxSports.com Forum

Eidness, full-time starter?

undchris

I guess I didn't really explain my reasoning. Because he's only a freshman, it is going to take Eidsness some time to become adjusted to this level of play. It will very likely be the end of the year before he realizes his full potential. Therefore, why not give some much deserved playing time to the kid who's put his in time and paid his dues sitting on the bench waiting for his chance? Seems disrespectful to favor a freshman over a senior in almost any situation.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you coach mite hockey. :) Why else would you play a player just for showing up every week :D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I didn't really explain my reasoning. Because he's only a freshman, it is going to take Eidsness some time to become adjusted to this level of play. It will very likely be the end of the year before he realizes his full potential. Therefore, why not give some much deserved playing time to the kid who's put his in time and paid his dues sitting on the bench waiting for his chance? Seems disrespectful to favor a freshman over a senior in almost any situation.

it doesnt matter if you are a freshman or senior at this level. you play who gives the team a better chance to win. period. bottom line. to favor a freshman? thats not happening by accident. he has the und's only wins and has been solid for the most part. this isnt little league where everyone gets to play a period. i think aaron has done himself a hell of a job to where hes at even right now on this team from where he came in at but this is brads team to netmind and it will be for many years. go sioux, sweep the dogzzzzzzzzzzz

it doesnt matter if you are a freshman or senior at this level. you play who gives the team a better chance to win. period. bottom line. to favor a freshman? thats not happening by accident. he has the und's only wins and has been solid for the most part. this isnt little league where everyone gets to play a period. i think aaron has done himself a hell of a job to where hes at even right now on this team from where he came in at but this is brads team to netmind and it will be for many years. go sioux, sweep the dogzzzzzzzzzzz

I agree, but i think Eidsness needs time to really get comfortable in big situations in this league. Sure... he has played very well up to this point, and i think he should be the starter without question, but the bigger the situation the more a goalie needs experience. He will need to get a lot more games in, so that come March, during the playoffs, he will feel comfortable and more importantly... CONFIDENT!!! This is so he can step up his game and play better by feeding off the big situation rather than having no experience and choking. I just hope he continues along the path he is on right now, if he does the Sioux will have every reason to play well infront of him.

I agree, but i think Eidsness needs time to really get comfortable in big situations in this league. Sure... he has played very well up to this point, and i think he should be the starter without question, but the bigger the situation the more a goalie needs experience. He will need to get a lot more games in, so that come March, during the playoffs, he will feel comfortable and more importantly... CONFIDENT!!! This is so he can step up his game and play better by feeding off the big situation rather than having no experience and choking. I just hope he continues along the path he is on right now, if he does the Sioux will have every reason to play well infront of him.

and the only way to get comfortable is playing game after game which he will be doing. he gives the sioux the best chance to win

Eidsness as a freshman is only about equal to Walski as a senior.

false... walski has been unable, for whatever reason, to make the saves every goalie should make. neither goalie is lighting up the stat sheet, but only one has a win... and it's not the senior. both have let in weak goals this year, noone will argue that, but the last weekend against uaa, eidsness was quiet and calm between the pipes, which is exactly what a goalie his size needs to be succesful. he moves when he needs to and covers the angles well, which walski has struggled with. sorry dave, but from the responses, you don't have a lot of people in your corner here, and that should tell you something. i'm not saying we'll never see walski again, because i think we will, but it will be very limited.

Unless one player is vastly superior to the other, the upper classman should be given the benefit of the doubt. When it is all said and done Eidsness will have had a much better career than Walski. But right now at the moment, Eidsness as a freshman is only about equal to Walski as a senior. They are both inexperienced. The goalie position is weak this year no matter who starts, therefore I think a 50/50 rotation would make sense.

I hate to pile on here but Walski has been god awful and Eidsness has been better, if you think I am wrong look at the stats.

Eidsness GAA 2.96 save percentage .895

Walski GAA 3.99 save percentage .796

I am not sure where you went to school but that is not statistically equal in my book.

If one goalie or the other happens to get on a hot streak, then I would no longer feel a 50/50 rotation is neccessary. So far neither one has been on any kind of hot streak. That of course could change at any time. If Eidsness all of a sudden starts to play at the level we became used to over the last 4 years between Lamoureux and Parise, then he should become the every day starting goalie. Until that happens I don't think he's entitled to every start.

How's this for a stat: Eidsness is the only goalie we have that has a WIN. I, personally, feel more comfortable playing the guy who earned all 4 of our wins this season. Walski makes me VERY nervous when they put him in goal. Walski has done nothing this season to make me feel he should be getting a start.

You comfortable with a headcase between the pipes? Not me. I want a goalie with nerves of steel who will remain calm and cool under pressure, not one who lets the pressure get to him mentally. As soon as a goalie loses his cool he starts to give up some cheap goals.

I'd say headcase is a pretty strong word. Do I want a goalie to throw sticks, break sticks squirm around on the ice after goals? No. Do I want a goalie who takes getting scored on to heart? Yes. Do I want a goalie who is ultra-competitive? Yes. Do I want a goalie to get pissed off when he's scored on? Yes.

Do you think goalies like Ed Belfour, JP Lamoureux, Jon Casey, etc. weren't like I described in my previous posts?

Unless one player is vastly superior to the other, the upper classman should be given the benefit of the doubt. When it is all said and done Eidsness will have had a much better career than Walski. But right now at the moment, Eidsness as a freshman is only about equal to Walski as a senior. They are both inexperienced. The goalie position is weak this year no matter who starts, therefore I think a 50/50 rotation would make sense.

you dont think hak and company think brad is the starter and the number 1 ? they arent going to say that yet or at anypoint to keep him humble and pushing him. he is better than walski. walski has started 4 games in 4 years and brad has started twice as many this season. again, im not knocking walsi at all but i think this situation it was it is to this point. could it change? maybe but right now brad is the starter. there isnt a need for a 50/50 rotation at all if one goalie wins games. im not saying hes the next coming to eddie belfour but he was broguht in here to play right away with the situation the sioux have and is doing that because the coaches feel he gives the team the best chance to win. ill trust hak and coaching on this one. i dont want to argue at all, just that its very evident who the team plays better in front of and who the copaches think gives the team the best chance to win. as a goalie you have to make the saves you are suppose to at this level and also make a few that you werent suppose to and thats what seperates the two right now.

go sioux

you dont think hak and company think brad is the starter and the number 1 ? they arent going to say that yet or at anypoint to keep him humble and pushing him. he is better than walski. walski has started 4 games in 4 years and brad has started twice as many this season. again, im not knocking walsi at all but i think this situation it was it is to this point. could it change? maybe but right now brad is the starter. there isnt a need for a 50/50 rotation at all if one goalie wins games. im not saying hes the next coming to eddie belfour but he was broguht in here to play right away with the situation the sioux have and is doing that because the coaches feel he gives the team the best chance to win. ill trust hak and coaching on this one. i dont want to argue at all, just that its very evident who the team plays better in front of and who the copaches think gives the team the best chance to win. as a goalie you have to make the saves you are suppose to at this level and also make a few that you werent suppose to and thats what seperates the two right now.

go sioux

Good points AZ. That is why the coaches coach and we cheer. They tend to know more than us.

You comfortable with a headcase between the pipes?

I can't believe that you're getting so worked up about a comment that was made during the Miller Time videos. Hextall was obviously kidding around with Eidsness during that video. Do you really think that Brad threw his stick, water bottle, and then threw a temper tantrum after Hextall scored on him in practice? If he did, it was probably done as a joke.

From what I have seen of the kid on the ice DURING GAMES, he has remained calm and poised during pressure situations. I haven't seen him react differently, even when he has been scored upon.

That said...all goalies are crazy to begin with, so yes, I would be comfortable with a headcase between the pipes. :)

I can't believe that you're getting so worked up about a comment that was made during the Miller Time videos. Hextall was obviously kidding around with Eidsness during that video. Do you really think that Brad threw his stick, water bottle, and then threw a temper tantrum after Hextall scored on him in practice? If he did, it was probably done as a joke.

From what I have seen of the kid on the ice DURING GAMES, he has remained calm and poised during pressure situations. I haven't seen him react differently, even when he has been scored upon.

That said...all goalies are crazy to begin with, so yes, I would be comfortable with a headcase between the pipes. :)

im sure he does have a temper and thats fine as a goalie. especially in practice and that means hes ultra competitve anyhow. who cares how a goalie gets it done as long as hes making the saves he needs to and making a few extra that he isnt suppose to and getting wins. go sioux, go brad and lets sweep the dogz

im sure he does have a temper and thats fine as a goalie. especially in practice and that means hes ultra competitve anyhow. who cares how a goalie gets it done as long as hes making the saves he needs to and making a few extra that he isnt suppose to and getting wins. go sioux, go brad and lets sweep the dogz

agreed 100%.

At this point they both make me nervous, and I believe that Walksi would be the only one with a win if he had played in all of the games Eidsness has played in so far. I have faith that Eidsness will be a good college goalie in time, but he isn't there yet.

he is already good and if he wasnt he wouldnt be at UND, now GREAT. thats a different element and that wont be known for a year or two. the numbers speak for themselves early in the season and thats why edisness has played twice as many games and has every win the sioux have this young season. nobody is saying brad is great yet by any means but he sure gives the sioux the best chance to win right now. its very early but i said to begin the season walski may start between 7-10 games on the year and i may be right now as of now. a few spot starts here and there if need be if brad needs a night off which isnt really needed in college hockey playing 2 games per week

I want a goalie to be pissed off when he gives up a goal, but I don't want him to show that he's pissed off. If the opposing players can tell he's pissed off it means they've gotten into his head. I don't want to see a goalie having a temper tantrum when the going gets rough, and I don't recall ever seeing that out of the legendary goalies in Sioux history.

have you seen brad have a temper tantrum in a game? NO you havent because he hasnt done it. that is primarly based on a internet brad miller time show that you are making a big deal out of. im glad he has a edge to him in practice and wears his emotions on his sleeve and is utlra competitive. hes a winner and has been and will be starting this season as a freshman. i dont care if you are a freshman or a redhirt 5th year senior, you play who gives you the best chance to win.

GO SIOUX

Actually the comment I was reacting to was one made earlier in this thread by one of our posters (don't even recall who) saying they'd rather have a goalie visually displaying his temper after giving up a goal. Like a QB in football, a goalie must remain calm and cool under pressure if he's going to be successful. As for the idea that you have to be sort of crazy just to play the position in the first place, that I agree with. I just don't think it's a good idea to wear your heart on your sleeve when you play such a high profile position.

first off brad hasnt done that in a game. those comments were based on the miller time show and i love to hear that he does show emotion. he cares and he thrives on it obviously. everyone is different in sports and some show emotions and some dont but eidsness hasnt done anything in a game after giving up a goal but get back in net and make the next save.