SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Parise continues his hot streak with a goal and an assist thus far tonight in the Devils/Predators game. Zajac with an assist thus far.

EDIT: They take away the assist from Zach and give him the first goal as well, so he's got 2 goals thus far tonight, and looking for the hatty.

Tonight is the first time the Blackhawks will have played the Canucks since Mitchell hit Toews with this hit. It will be interesting to see if Willie Mitchell is challenged.

I hope not.

It's a stupid practice that have done nothing but cheapen the game.

Remember, if it weren't for this practice, Bertuzzi would have been just another hockey player.

A good one on one fight is fine.It's the cheap crap like the Bertuzzi incident that obviously does the game no good.

Sure, but it was the same scenario. In the previous game that Vancouver played against... who was it? Colorado? Moore made a huge hit on Naslund (it was a clean hit but it looked brutal). Bertuzzi went after Moore the next time they played.

I admit what Bertuzzi did isn't exactly the same as dropping the gloves... ok, it's not the same at all, but the scenario is similar.

Fighting to put a boost in the team's motivation is one thing. Fighting to seek revenge is another.

Sure, but it was the same scenario. In the previous game that Vancouver played against... who was it? Colorado? Moore made a huge hit on Naslund (it was a clean hit but it looked brutal). Bertuzzi went after Moore the next time they played.

I admit what Bertuzzi did isn't exactly the same as dropping the gloves... ok, it's not the same at all, but the scenario is similar.

Fighting to put a boost in the team's motivation is one thing. Fighting to seek revenge is another.

I think the thing that made the Bertuzzi thing bad that he just went and attacked him. Bertuzzi didn't give Moore a chance to even sqare up and fight.

Kind of like the incident down in Mankato last season.

Another reinforcement of how good the WCHA was during the decade - NHL Plus-Minus leaders through 11/25/09 - 5 of the top 9 :

(Source: NHL.com)

1. Matt Carle, PHI (Denver) +18

2. Zach Parise, NJD (UND) +17

3. Chris Pronger, PHI +13

3t. Brent Seabrook, CHI +13

5t. Duncan Keith, CHI +12

5t. Travis Zajac, NJD (UND) +12

5t. Jonathon Toews, CHI (UND) +12

9. Alex Goligoski, PIT, (MN) +11

3 of the top 7 are former Sioux. And the top 3 forwards in the NHL are former Sioux.

Not too shabby.

Other stats from NHL.com ... former Sioux in the top 30 of various stats:

Goals: Parise 13 (11th)

Assists: Parise 15 (18th), Zajac 14 (26th)

Shots: Parise 99 (2nd), Blake 74 (23rd)

Faceoffs: Toews 60.1% (4th) Johnson 56.4% (10th)

* (Toews at almost 80% on the powerplay!)

Hits: Greene 79 (4th)

Blocked Shots: Greene 54 (12th)

Giveaways: nobody (trick question)

Takeaways: Blake 25 (4th)

Penalties: nobody (obviously goons)

Shootouts: Toews 3-3 (4th), Parise 2-4 (18th)

Another reinforcement of how good the WCHA was during the decade - NHL Plus-Minus leaders through 11/25/09 - 5 of the top 9 :

(Source: NHL.com)

1. Matt Carle, PHI (Denver) +18

2. Zach Parise, NJD (UND) +17

3. Chris Pronger, PHI +13

3t. Brent Seabrook, CHI +13

5t. Duncan Keith, CHI +12

5t. Travis Zajac, NJD (UND) +12

5t. Jonathon Toews, CHI (UND) +12

9. Alex Goligoski, PIT, (MN) +11

3 of the top 7 are former Sioux. And the top 3 forwards in the NHL are former Sioux.

Not too shabby.

I find it interesting to see that only three on the list didn't go to college and.... all of the collegiate players played in the WCHA.

I think the thing that made the Bertuzzi thing bad that he just went and attacked him. Bertuzzi didn't give Moore a chance to even sqare up and fight.

Kind of like the incident down in Mankato last season.

Um, you might want to watch that game again Goon. Bertuzzi gave Moore plenty of chances. Moore knew he was going to have to answer for that hit on Naslund and chose to avoid it all night, finally Bertuzzi got fed up and attacked him. Not condoning what Bertuzzi did, but had Moore just fought him and got it over with, none of this would even be an issue now. The thing that people seem to leave out every time this topic is brought up, is his team mates piling on top of him and Bertuzzi is what broke his neck, not the punch or the fall. I've met Todd, heck of a nice guy, its too bad this incident will forever tarnish his hockey career.

Back on topic....