SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Your Blackhawks history is off a little bit. The team was started and joined the NHL in 1926. That owner died in 1944. It was sold again in 1952 to 3 partners, one of them being Arthur Wirtz and the other 2 being James Norris Jr and Sr. Norris Sr died late in 1952. His son Norris Jr died in 1966 and William Wirtz took over as President of the club. Chicago won 3 Stanley Cups, 2 during the 30s and the last one in 1961.

So you are saying the Wirtz didn't run the Blackhawks into the ground? They were already 3 feet under when he took over and ended up taking them nearly 3 feet more? :ohmy:

Thanks for the correction.

My father watched much of the 1961 season from the stands. I don't recall how much it cost for him to go to the arena, but it wasn't much. He got to see so much... from the 1961 Blackhawks to watching Koufax pitch... lucky man.

So you are saying the Wirtz didn't run the Blackhawks into the ground? They were already 3 feet under when he took over and ended up taking them nearly 3 feet more? :D

Thanks for the correction.

My father watched much of the 1961 season from the stands. I don't recall how much it cost for him to go to the arena, but it wasn't much. He got to see so much... from the 1961 Blackhawks to watching Koufax pitch... lucky man.

You're right about the running them into the ground part. But they were started and had good years well before he got involved. :ohmy:

It's great when you can be there in person to witness your favorite team do well or watch sports history. I am a big Twins fan and lived in the Twin Cities in the early 1990s. I went to about 1/4 of the home games that year and all of the home playoff and World Series games except one. Being in the stands and watching Jack Morris throw a 10 inning shutout during Game 7 is probably my favorite memory of attending a sporting event. :glare:

You're right about the running them into the ground part. But they were started and had good years well before he got involved. :ohmy:

It's great when you can be there in person to witness your favorite team do well or watch sports history. I am a big Twins fan and lived in the Twin Cities in the early 1990s. I went to about 1/4 of the home games that year and all of the home playoff and World Series games except one. Being in the stands and watching Jack Morris throw a 10 inning shutout during Game 7 is probably my favorite memory of attending a sporting event. :glare:

I watched the 1987 World Series on TV. Does that count? How about the 2000 Fighting Sioux season (every home game in attendance!!!). Seriously, count yourself lucky. I count my dad lucky. I'm such a sports cynic that I can't get into pro sports. I haven't really been a Twins fan since 1987. Never really was a Vikings fan. Basketball sucks (and so do the T-puppies, who knew?)... Never got into the North Stars. Dislike the Wild...

Anyways, speaking of NHL, I would LOVE to download Toews' insane goal from earlier this season now that I got a new video iPod, but I can't figure out how. Anyone know how?

Is there a way to do it for non iPod users? My father has a Sandisk Sansa and that doesn't accept iTunes.

Don't know much about the Sansa, but this is what I found. Need to use Fanfare.

Sandisk Sansa

Fanfare setup is extremely straightforward: you sign up for a free Fanfare account, download the Windows-only client software, browse the collections from CBS, Showtime and others (slated for heavy growth in the content-partner area, says SanDisk), and click the "plus" sign when you see something you like. If the TakeTV is plugged in, the video will begin loading. If not, you will be prompted to insert it.

During intermission of the Blackhawks game, I saw a clip of the Canes and Rangers. A Ranger (sorry, dont know who it was) decked Cullen at about center ice, looked like he was out cold, spinning face down. He does get up though, but he was bleeding, and Commodore comes to the rescue and fights with the Ranger, who had to leave the ice, bleeding. It was a quick report, so I dont know if any penalties came from it.

During intermission of the Blackhawks game, I saw a clip of the Canes and Rangers. A Ranger (sorry, dont know who it was) decked Cullen at about center ice, looked like he was out cold, spinning face down. He does get up though, but he was bleeding, and Commodore comes to the rescue and fights with the Ranger, who had to leave the ice, bleeding. It was a quick report, so I dont know if any penalties came from it.

Colton Orr. He got a 5 minute interference, 10 game misconduct, and a 5 minute fighting

David Hale holds the record for the longest start to an NHL career without scoring a goal. Sorry if this has been posted before. I wasn't aware of this.

Link

Defensemen on the list have an excuse as they're defensemen. The forwards better be playing a large role other than goal scoring! At least David made the record books!!! :glare:

Some of the salaries confuzzle me. How is Malkin making more than Crosby? How is Parise making more than Toews? Because Toews is under the new CBA while Parise is under the old one? Then how Kane is making more than Parise?

Salary Cap increases each year, so the minimum rookie salary increases. Therefore, Malkin, who signed a year later than Crosby, makes more. Parise just signed a new contract this summer, so he's making more than all of them now, but only for another year. Crosby should get a very nice hike this summer, and Malkin will get one next year.

EDIT: After doing a little more research, maybe that's now how it really is. Heck, I don't know. I just wish I had some of that jingle!!!

I believe it is the performance incentives. I believe that Toews base salary is around $850,000, while the numbers presented are what the players could earn and I think it is fairly safe to assume that both Toews and Kane will likely cash in. Skille on the other hand is only earning minor league pay.

Those numbers make absolutely no sense. It lists JT at $2.8 mil, yet the rookie maximum IIRC is less than $900K. What am I missing?

I believe it is the performance incentives. I believe that Toews base salary is around $850,000, while the numbers presented are what the players could earn and I think it is fairly safe to assume that both Toews and Kane will likely cash in. Skille on the other hand is only earning minor league pay.

yes all nhl rookie contracts are like this with incentives. some get hit and some dont depending on the players year and what type of numbers he puts up. toews will cash in along with kane. its the 2nd contract that sets you up for life. this system trumps the dumb ass nfl system where the players get 20-30 milliion up front before they sign a contract as no nfl contracts are guarenteed so they push for so much up front. the nhl and nba systems are good to the fact that rookies still have to prove themselves to get that big 2nd contract