SiouxSports.com Forum

Article that refers to Roche's future

"It's tempting. But it's not about the money. It's what's the best fit for me."

bull$%!#. Give him 3 million and see how "not about the money it is." He's just bartering to a "little better fit" before he signs. ;) (and he will sign)

I'm guessing it is about the money as well. Bouchard for the wild was a lower pick than Vanek and got basically a guarenteed $3.5 million over three years. That is the rookie max.

If the Sabres are "only" offering a $1.1 million bonus with a two way contract, he will probably be "advised" to at least act like he is planning on returning to school. We don't really know what the offer was from the Sabres. If it had full money, he'd have signed already.

As I try to tell my fellow Gophers fans on POI, the P. Martin situation is the most crucial to the threepeat in my opinion. His play when the stakes are highest is unbelievable.

If I were betting, I'd say they are both gone.

Sagard,

As I have said before, you are way to pessimistic about both. Neither Martin nor Vanek has received an offer yet and you are already counting them as gone. I am all about being prepared but you seem to need suicide watch sometimes. The team will be fine no matter what happens, it isnt like they are hurting for talented players on D or at forward. Just remember sthere will be players from last years squad (who saw regular time) who will not play next year due to depth.

As for Roche, if he can't make the Wild squad this year (especially if Suckeras and Brad Brown are gone) than I will seriously wonder what NHL future he has. The team needs a PP QB and added scoring punch and that is his game. The Wild traded Murphy away (who I think was the better player but I digress) so now is the time for Travis to step up and take his shot. I hope he succeeds, cause a good offensive defensemen may just be the missing piece to the puzzle for the Wild.

Handy: You really think Vanek will be wearing maroon next year, huh... :D

Handyman  2003-05-23 15:18:43  Msg #92364     

I mean ... I am retarded on many subjects

Well, I guess you're right on something! ;);)

but what I know of Travis Roche's future was on the wedding announcements page of a newspaper this past weekend.

speaking of wedding announcement pages, Mitch Vig was there also (least out west in ND).

I never said Vanek for sure would be back, I just said I wont worry about it until it is confirmed he at least got an offer worthy of his leaving.

Ya know I think MinnesotaNorthStar has more posts on POI than I do here...is he the Sioux version of me ;)

Handy maybe you didn't say it specifically, however, there was a giddyness among Gopher fans this was rather apparent right after the dirty Gophers won their second NCAA title. There were all of these Gophers fans talking about how they weren't going lose anyone, not a single player (which is arrogant to assume) add to that, there is also a theory how the Gophers are going to hanging a third banner with relative ease. I also think UND is going to have something to say about that... With Martin and Vanek the Gophers are a good team, with other either or both things really get evened up... Remember the Gophers have goal tending on par with UND. Take a few of Defensemen out of the question who know what could happen...

Let me say this UND and UofM will both be good. I don't think there is going to be much of a difference between the two teams. I don't care what opposing fans think.

The other day I talked to a WCHA assitant coach that said he thought Vanek would be gone. Thats pretty bad if even the oppostion coaches are saying that Vanek will be gone, you guys really are in a daze after winning a couple of NCAA titles.

Hey MinnesotaNorthStar...looky...another thread on Siouxsports about Vanek! Better watch out or you'll have to change the site name! ;);)

WPoS

You make one little comment.......never live it down :D

Why does it seem like the roles are reversed on this one...POI seems to love to talk Parise while over here it seems to be Vanek?? Strange....WPoS, we might have to ???

Didn't this thread start about Roche? I hope to see him in green and white next season in the NHL, and congrats to him and Skarp on the wedding thing.

Handy, do I? I guess I go over there to get away from the Vanek talk and see some Parise threads :p .

ANYWAYS....BACK TO TRAVIS ROCHE.......Go Wild!!

Goon,

It is no different than all the Sioux fans who swore that Bayda would be back for his senior season and such. Every team is like that. (see: Cornell with newly departed Lenevue)

We will see what happens when the games are played, but if I had to choose between Weber and Brandt, I wouldnt even think twice and take the goalie that won the Frozen Four :D

As for Roche, here's hoping he is wearing the Wild sweater next year ;)

Goon,

It is no different than all the Sioux fans who swore that Bayda would be back for his senior season and such. Every team is like that. (see: Cornell with newly departed Lenevue)

We will see what happens when the games are played, but if I had to choose between Weber and Brandt, I wouldnt even think twice and take the goalie that won the Frozen Four :D

As for Roche, here's hoping he is wearing the Wild sweater next year ;)

Handy this is what is kind of known as the great unknown. Will they stay or will they go, UND fans have had some sad moments during the summer in years past, Commie, Bryan Lundbohm and others. Will the money be there, what will they be offered. I am sure a few of these kids have some big decisions coming up in the future, word has it Pauly Martin is being pressured to sign with NJ.

On a side bar: I noticed that Bryan Lundbohm didn't get resigned by Nashville. I look at Bryan's decision to go pro as a big mistake, sure I am biased. As for Bayda I had a feeling he would be gone, his play this season only proves that he was ready for the next level. Vanek's situation is a little different than others from past years. The kid is a stud and can play in the NHL I am that confident. ;) I also hate the Sabres (Bruin's Fan) so nothing will change for me here...

Goon, Here's another view on the Bryan Lundbohm decision. Let's say that Nashville is right this time and he's not pro material. Because he was a junior, and was coming off a season with Panzer as his center, and was an undrafted free agent, his stock was as high as it was going to be. He was able to leverage all those factors into a nice signing bonus (I think) that might not have been there at any other time. So, actually, it seems that Bryan might have made the right choice. He can go finish his degree and use a relatively small portion of his signing bonus to pay for it. Plus, from a Sioux fan's perspective, he wasn't going to make much of a difference that year anyway, as it was pretty much a lost cause.

Now Bayda's absence last year is another matter altogether, as the presence of a senior star (and possible Hobey Baker winner) might have turned some of those close games in the second half the right direction. But Ryan probably made the right decision also, fulfilling his dream and sticking in the NHL when he was called up.

I seem to remember a number in the range of $300,000 when Lundbohm signed. Could easily be wrong.

I agree jk, I always wondered if Lundbohm didn't take the money and run because he looked at the following year and there was no Jeff Panzer playing at his side.

I wish his pro career had gone better, though. Never seemed to develop the scoring that we saw the last couple years at UND.

Goon, Here's another view on the Bryan Lundbohm decision. Let's say that Nashville is right this time and he's not pro material. Because he was a junior, and was coming off a season with Panzer as his center, and was an undrafted free agent, his stock was as high as it was going to be. He was able to leverage all those factors into a nice signing bonus (I think) that might not have been there at any other time. So, actually, it seems that Bryan might have made the right choice. He can go finish his degree and use a relatively small portion of his signing bonus to pay for it. Plus, from a Sioux fan's perspective, he wasn't going to make much of a difference that year anyway, as it was pretty much a lost cause.

Now Bayda's absence last year is another matter altogether, as the presence of a senior star (and possible Hobey Baker winner) might have turned some of those close games in the second half the right direction. But Ryan probably made the right decision also, fulfilling his dream and sticking in the NHL when he was called up.

I think Ryan would have made a difference last year if he would have stayed, and I was sad about that loss.

I don't blame these kids for taking the money, college will be there when they get done with hockey. Heck if you had told me I would make 300,000 to 500,000 to leave college early hell I would be gone...

A college education is valuble, but I can't blame anyone for going pro. The money for one thing, not to mention fulfilling a dream and you never know when you'll get injured and not be able to make the big bucks.

I'm a huge Wild fan and I would love to see Roche play next year! I'd also like to see Panzer play for the Blues someday.