SiouxSports.com Forum

2008 Sioux Football

UND Fan

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but there is a video from Media day here.

Here is what i got from it. sorry for the spelling but you know who i'm talking about.

coach mannausau

DL - anchored by 3 seniors, demonitgny, richter, and ebanks. Look for link gottebette and kyle krusenjertna and nick nolte when he returns. Nate wayne is returning at noseguard but is being pushed by ty boyle.

OLB - stud - tescher and cochran are standing out. zeke - giles and kasoswki with leith adding quality depth.

ILB - holinka is stepping up and ready to have a great season. Miller will be starting next to him as a physical LB. pollow, german and hendrickson will provide depth.

Coach Kelling

seniors - drake otto, rory manke provide senior leadership. Brandon jordan and derrick malner are recovering from injuries trying to get ready for first game. ankenbauer and swchenzfire are back and ready to play.Mitch kudrna learning both safety and corner

CB - thin right now. otto and jordan knicked up. Delano is improving/learning. dominique hawkins stepping up.

Coach Brietbach

OL - braeglemen, troen, bondy starting with experience. moe, queoff, koelln, schroeyer fighting for other spots. bakke moved to OL and quesenberry improving.

WR - veteran, trenbeth, nicholas, caufield ready, ball will be spread around. Konrath coming into his own at rec and will contribute. luepp and bamba finding ways to contribute. anderson, dressler, daggot will provide depth (maybe some injuries??)

RB - brady worked hard this summer, excite about him. murray can be every down runner. solum hard nosed runner shows no signs of knee injury. battle, dungy provide depth

TE/FB - tibesar playing both TE and FB. grover back. dublanko made move to FB but has picked it up well. Caufield will play some TE

QB - freund very comforatble ready to be huge leader. landry able to step in at any time. no definate 3rd qb but working on younger guys.

Just what i got from watching the media day video.

New Tom Miller blog entry.

I'll venture the following answers to the questions Tom poses:

1. With a veteran quarterback in Danny Freund, one of the most consistent receivers in recent memory in Brady Trenbeath and a possible breakout star at running back in Josh Murray, I think the cupboard is pretty well-stocked in terms of playmakers.

2. Call me naive if you will, but honestly I don't expect the likes of UC-Davis or even Southern Illinois to be any more talented than teams like UNO or Grand Valley State.

3. Depth at running back is probably actually a little better now than it was last year. True, there is probably nobody in Chappell's class, but there are three pretty good options in Murray, Brady and Solum, and if necessary, the red shirt could be taken off Sutton. Sutton comes in with a far more impressive resume than Murray did last year.

4. I was very impressed with Hellevang's punting in the spring game. I'm also excited about the potential of Bamba as a returner (if he gets a shot there).

I just watched the new interview with Coach Mussman posted on fightingsioux.com, and he mentioned that Ismael Bamba was just cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse so he's eligible as of today. Also, he mentioned a juco transfer receiver named Matt Cole (sp?) who I've not heard of before and who is not listed on the roster as far as I know.

EDIT: I'm assuming this may be the Matt Cole who is apparently now at UND.

Anyone have any info on Chris Anderson. He was supposed to be somewhat of a sleeper in his recruiting class, as I recall, because he was injured much of his senior season in HS. I think Mussman referred to him last spring as potentially "that speed guy" (pre-Bamba) in the receiving corps and said last week that they were counting on him and Dressler to contribute. Is he still injured? Anybody know how he's looked when healthy?

Anyone have any info on Chris Anderson. He was supposed to be somewhat of a sleeper in his recruiting class, as I recall, because he was injured much of his senior season in HS. I think Mussman referred to him last spring as potentially "that speed guy" (pre-Bamba) in the receiving corps and said last week that they were counting on him and Dressler to contribute. Is he still injured? Anybody know how he's looked when healthy?

Anderson wasn't in uniform for the scrimmage the other night, so I assume he's injured, although it wasn't anything apparent as he didn't walk with a limp or have on a cast or anything. He's pretty impressive looking in terms of speed (placed in the 100 and 200 at the MN AA track meet a couple of years ago) and height (6'3"), but I haven't actually seen him play. We seem to be getting a bit thin at receiver other than Trenbeath, with only Caufield and Nicholas having any game experience to speak of, and expected contributors Dressler and apparently Anderson both being injured. Somebody--such as Bamba, Daggett or newcomer Cole--may need to step up as we're going to need more than three receivers, particularly with Caufield possibly playing some TE.

While there certainly are some young receivers in the program right now in Anderson, Daggett, Bamba, Dressler and Heimler, I have to think this is going to be a position of emphasis in recruiting this year, along with the offensive line. We're losing Trenbeath, Nicholas and Caufield, and there's a relatively small number of underclassmen offensive linemen in the program right now, particularly with the impending loss of three senior starters after this year.

Anderson wasn't in uniform for the scrimmage the other night, so I assume he's injured, although it wasn't anything apparent as he didn't walk with a limp or have on a cast or anything. He's pretty impressive looking in terms of speed (placed in the 100 and 200 at the MN AA track meet a couple of years ago) and height (6'3"), but I haven't actually seen him play. We seem to be getting a bit thin at receiver other than Trenbeath, with only Caufield and Nicholas having any game experience to speak of, and expected contributors Dressler and apparently Anderson both being injured. Somebody--such as Bamba, Daggett or newcomer Cole--may need to step up as we're going to need more than three receivers, particularly with Caufield possibly playing some TE. ...

Thanks for the update. And how about Justin Belotti, the d-back from Wisconsin transferring from Mankato? I don't see him on the roster. Is he around? Nothing official until school starts?

In looking at the 2008 roster, I see that 2-3 highly recruited red-shirt freshmen are not expected to return: OL Matt Simmons (big all-state kid from WS), Mark Kubacki (LB from Stillwater) and Troy Bryant (DB - WS). I know Simmons was expected to be very good when we landed him and I think the other two were highly thought-of as well. This happens every year to all teams but it is disappointing.

By my count, there are eight kids from the recruiting class of 2007 who are no longer on the roster--Simmons, Kubacki, Bryant, Tru Nguyen, Cory Hanson, Deryk Van Zee, John Carruth and Nick Bylin. Luckily that was a large class. Still, losing one-third of a recruiting class before the start of their second year in the program isn't good. As far as I know, none of them are playing elsewhere right now.

It's interesting that despite having the reputation as a short-yardage back, Brandon Brady is now listed at 203, while Josh Murray is up to 215. I noticed at the scrimmage last week that Brady has noticeably slimmed-down from past years. He may surprise some people this year with added/re-gained speed.

Got a quick question since ya'll are talking about the roster and what not. Was wondering if anyone knew where Brock Setness went to ? I think he was either a RFr or a Fr QB. I saw him last year at a family reunion and he's like my 3rd cousin or something. I was just curious. Good luck to the Sioux this year. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys play some new teams in a new conference.

Hey everyone, I thought that this was kind of a clever look at college football around the nation. It's rather nice to the two North Dakota institutions while the South Dakota institutions don't look particularly well. Have a peek and I hope you enjoy it.

Woody Paige: "Yes We Can't"

My two day road trip for the home opener begins at noon! See you all at tailgating!!

I found this article on www.signonsandiego.com (26AUG2008)...it is an AP article from Grand Forks but I can't seem to find the same article on the GF Herald. Maybe I am blind.

YOU STAY CLASSY, SAN DIEGO!

The same info (but in a completely different article) was in the Corpus Christi paper today. Assuming a jump to 63 next season, the large senior class this year, several early departures from the recruiting class of 2007 and Rosario's no-show this year, there should be a very large number of scholarships available for the next recruiting class.

Got a quick question since ya'll are talking about the roster and what not. Was wondering if anyone knew where Brock Setness went to ? I think he was either a RFr or a Fr QB. I saw him last year at a family reunion and he's like my 3rd cousin or something. I was just curious. Good luck to the Sioux this year. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys play some new teams in a new conference.

It is my understanding that Brock left the team last spring but I believe he is still a student at UND.