SiouxSports.com Forum

radio contract w/ Clear Channel renewed

UND92,96

Don't know if anyone is interested, but this is the nighttime radio coverage map for UND men's hockey(for now) and football:

UND.gif

The red line is the local coverage area; the purple is distant. Info from www.Radio-Locator.com.

I plan to do UND basketball and NDSU football in the next day or two.

His wife is having another child. Best of luck to Mr. Stein and his family.

I will miss Tony's expert analysis delivered through obvious green colored glasses! :)

As for Clear Channel retaining the broadcast rights, I wonder if this means we'll be "treated" to more technical problems in almost every broadcast? What happened during the Mankato road football game last year was really bad. People listening on the radio didn't get to hear Hammer's call on Chappell's game-winning 81-yard catch and run TD. Thankfully I was there or I would have missed it too. Besides expanding the Fighting Sioux Sports TV Network, getting a better radio deal (even if it means doing it in-house) should be a top priority of Brian Faison as we move up to Division I across the board.

I will miss Tony's expert analysis delivered through obvious green colored glasses! :)

As for Clear Channel retaining the broadcast rights, I wonder if this means we'll be "treated" to more technical problems in almost every broadcast? What happened during the Mankato road football game last year was really bad. People listening on the radio didn't get to hear Hammer's call on Chappell's game-winning 81-yard catch and run TD. Thankfully I was there or I would have missed it too. Besides expanding the Fighting Sioux Sports TV Network, getting a better radio deal (even if it means doing it in-house) should be a top priority of Brian Faison as we move up to Division I across the board.

This Bison fan agrees 100%. To raise the funds needed for a fully-successful DI move, UND will have to expand its fan base and energize the fans it already has. Increased radio and TV coverage is a big part of that. The problem will be that it costs money to make money. To bring the radio broadcasts in-house, NDSU had to create and hire several new positions. Not only on the technical/broadcaster side, but on the advertising side as well. Bringing it in-house means selling all the ad space yourself. That takes time, skill and a staff. Costly. On top of that, UND is still recovering from the personnel cuts Buning was forced to make to balance the athletic department's budget.

Now I'm not saying UND can't, won't or shouldn't expand its media coverage, I'm just saying Faison has something of an uphill road to climb and progress may not be as fast as everybody wants. Hopefully, things will be good enough shape next spring to rework the radio contract when it expires. The addition to the area of a couple new stations might help, but I think they all power down at night to unacceptable levels for decent sports coverage.

This Bison fan agrees 100%. To raise the funds needed for a fully-successful DI move, UND will have to expand its fan base and energize the fans it already has. Increased radio and TV coverage is a big part of that. The problem will be that it costs money to make money. To bring the radio broadcasts in-house, NDSU had to create and hire several new positions. Not only on the technical/broadcaster side, but on the advertising side as well. Bringing it in-house means selling all the ad space yourself. That takes time, skill and a staff. Costly. On top of that, UND is still recovering from the personnel cuts Buning was forced to make to balance the athletic department's budget.

Now I'm not saying UND can't, won't or shouldn't expand its media coverage, I'm just saying Faison has something of an uphill road to climb and progress may not be as fast as everybody wants. Hopefully, things will be good enough shape next spring to rework the radio contract when it expires. The addition to the area of a couple new stations might help, but I think they all power down at night to unacceptable levels for decent sports coverage.

Thanks for the maps Hammersmith.......

It seems like you are insinuating that NDSU's media coverage is head and shoulders above UND and it'll take years for us to catch up. I admit I'm impressed with all of the TV time that NDSU has had starting last year. They've taken UND's "in-house" model for TV and expanded on it. I'm very disappointed that UND has only decided to televise one game this year, but I suspect that somewhat unappetizing home schedule, along with A.D. change had alot to do with that, at least I hope that won't be the norm toward the end of the transition. In fact with NDSU slowly trimming ties with ForumComm, I wouldn't be surprised to see several UND games pop up across ForumComm's statewide ABC networks by years 4 or 5 of the transition. Hopefully anyways, we'll see.

But as far as radio goes, reverse your two maps and that big footprint belonged to UND untill this fall. KFYR is what is making the difference, and NDSU I'm sure paid handsomely to get their games included on that station. And kudos for them for doing it, that is going to be somewhat of a blow to UND fans out west. I think it is interesting that the Bismarck and Fargo stations of the Radio Network are not Clear Channel stations. I wonder if Clear Channel is required to "farm out" the broadcasts in order to get them into those markets, or is UND allowed to make separate deals in markets where CC doesn't have a presence? On a similar note, your maps (nor did the press release from UND) did not include 1240 AM (football) and 102.5 FM (hockey) out of Devils Lake. Although KFYR and KXMR have agreements with NDSU and UMary, I wonder if one of those stations will still have hockey games on Friday nights and/or both FRI/SAT once football season is over. If no hockey will be heard on CC Bismarck stations, NDSU must have paid a very hefty price in order to offset all the advertising dollars those 40 hockey games generated from October to April. Remember, NDSU was thinking hard about dumping ForumComm all together in order to get on KFYR back when the contracts were up in 2006, but KFYR was unwilling to give up hockey at the time.

All in all I think both UND and NDSU fans should be very thankful for the media attention that both schools get. I've been reading both the USD and SDSU boards in recent weeks on this subject, and it sounds like if you are not within 65 miles or so of Sioux Falls, you can't really reliably follow either schools sports. In fact USD just changed broadcast partners, and it sounds like there is some question as to how well the new signal will even be able to be received in Vermillion. Neither school have weekly TV coach's shows like UND and NDSU have for as long as I can remember.

Sica, it looks as though someone read your post. Let's hope he doesn't stop now and continues with the whole thing.

Over-arching Themes (everything on his schedule should point to either)

Costs/Finances

Conference

Immediate Actions

Staffing

Transition Plan

Facilties Plan

Athletics Endowment

and an obligatory ...

Add mens lacrosse <-- That was just for you, Geaux.