SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

I understand the economics involved. What I don't understand is why we have to continuously schedule NAIA-transitioning to Division II teams if we are going to play down. Although I don't like the idea of having to play down, is it really that much more expensive or difficult to try to get an Augustana, UMD, St. Cloud, Mankato, etc to come and play here?

If your going to play down --- you play DOWN. There is no difference in a fans's eye between a good D2 and a bad D2. (See the Sioux Falls game as an example- UND could just as easily have scheduled a terrible NAIA and it would have looked the exact same on paper). Nobody knows the difference or cares. They are more than likely pissed it's on the schedule in the first place.

I get that it may be too expensive to bring in an FCS guarantee game. But I just don't understand why it's so difficult to schedule home-and-homes with the regional FCS schools. We're the only FCS school in the region in the Big Sky, so we have a lot of potential OOC FCS schools in the region. It just doesn't seem like it should be so difficult to strike up an annual game with USD or an every-other-year game with NDSU (as reportedly has been offered). Then sprinkle in home-and-homes with SDSU and Northern Iowa, and the occassional home and home against non-regional FCS schools. It just seems like a schedule could be filled-in going that route, particularly if you don't insist on 6 home games every year, which would be fine with me.

And it's very disappointing to see that the rivalry with USD is not going to continue. It would have been nice to preserve at least one rivalry game.

With 3 D2 teams I predict a big drop.

I agree, this could be the lowest attended season since moving indoors. I am more likely to attend an away game at UNC or in California etc. than come to GF to see the crap on this year's schedule. You do not attract a crowd with second rate performance in any entertainment media.

• Upvote 2

I agree, this could be the lowest attended season since moving indoors. I am more likely to attend an away game at UNC or in California etc. than come to GF to see the crap on this year's schedule. You do not attract a crowd with second rate performance in any entertainment media.

I, for one, plan on driving from Kansas City to Grand Forks for the Montana Western/Ice Breaker weekend in Oct. I love Sioux football and hockey (and basketball) and I'm sure not going to let the fact that we're not playing NDSU, USD, SDSU, or whoever that weekend keep me from going to a Sioux football game.

• Upvote 4

If your going to play down --- you play DOWN. There is no difference in a fans's eye between a good D2 and a bad D2. (See the Sioux Falls game as an example- UND could just as easily have scheduled a terrible NAIA and it would have looked the exact same on paper). Nobody knows the difference or cares. They are more than likely pissed it's on the schedule in the first place.

Some fans have short memories. As fans of the D-2 NCC, we all knew that the top of the NCC could compete with any FCS school on a one game basis. There are plenty of D-2 teams within a bus trip of GF that will provide a matchup which isn't an utter embarassment.

Some fans have short memories. As fans of the D-2 NCC, we all knew that the top of the NCC could compete with any FCS school on a one game basis. There are plenty of D-2 teams within a bus trip of GF that will provide a matchup which isn't an utter embarassment.

You missed the point. Now that we are at the FCS level, fans do not care how "good" the D2 team is. They are lumping them all together as a lower level team, at least the fans I know are. I know quite well how good top D2 teams are.

Do you think anyone is going to leave the Alerus and brag about how good that D2 team was that we just beat?

There is a reason FCS teams stay away from Grand Valley and NWMS, etc. Most FCS schools schedule the middle to bottom of the D2 world. You do not take the chance of losing.

I, for one, plan on driving from Kansas City to Grand Forks for the Montana Western/Ice Breaker weekend in Oct. I love Sioux football and hockey (and basketball) and I'm sure not going to let the fact that we're not playing NDSU, USD, SDSU, or whoever that weekend keep me from going to a Sioux football game.

You wouldn't even think about it if not for the hockey part of this! Get real!

As a fan would you be happy with 5 home games a year?

Year A: 8 BSC (4 home/4 away), USD (home), away at FCS (part of home and home), FBS (away)

Year B: 8 BSC (4 home/4 away), USD (away), FCS (home), FBS (away)

Repeat Cycle

The USD game, FBS game, and home/home FCS game would need to take place the first 3 weeks of the season then move into the conference schedule. The reality is that if you want an FBS game it is going to be on the road and if you want an FBS game and 6 home games then that sixth home game is going to be against subpar competition.

I would be happy to forego the sixth game and go with the above arrangement for USD (8 MVFC games, UND, FCS, FBS) if that means we get to keep the Sioux on the schedule.

Yes, I'd love this type of schedule. I could also live without FBS games every year. We should be looking to max out every other year with a big name school rather than middling paydays from low level FBS teams. That would allow for a six game home schedule, alternating an FBS game away with a home guarantee game with a lower level school (hopefully a Pioneer League team).

You missed the point. Now that we are at the FCS level, fans do not care how "good" the D2 team is. They are lumping them all together as a lower level team, at least the fans I know are. I know quite well how good top D2 teams are.

Do you think anyone is going to leave the Alerus and brag about how good that D2 team was that we just beat?

There is a reason FCS teams stay away from Grand Valley and NWMS, etc. Most FCS schools schedule the middle to bottom of the D2 world. You do not take the chance of losing.

I think fans would leave the Alerus center having received value for their money. The teams you listed are not within a bus trip. They would need to be flown in. The quality of the opponent matters, and in this instance, as star2city has pointed out out, Mayville is a higher caliber opponent. There are a lot better options than Mines. The athletic department is shopping at the dollar store. Actually a second hand store may be a better metaphor.

Perhaps this has been posted somewhere but it appears USD is able to bring in non-conference FCS teams. They are bringing in Colgate for a 1 game deal. They also are playing FBS Kansas State.

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/news/release.asp?release_id=6290

UND has Central Arkansas in 2012 - same thing. Who is there other non-conference home game because that is only 5 home games (including 4 MVFC games)?

Flying in Colgate for 1 game is going to cost them a pretty penny (probably around 175k). There is no way they are getting another FCS team for a 6th game, unless it is a return game from a home and home. We will see.

UND has Central Arkansas in 2012 - same thing. Who is there other non-conference home game is because that only gets them 5 home games (including 4 MVFC games)?

The reason I posted it is because it is a one off game. USD is able to pay for FCS schools to tavel to Vermillion. UCA is the return trip from our visit there a couple of years ago. UCA is a great game and I'm excited for it.

The reason I posted it is because it is a one off game. USD is able to pay for FCS schools to tavel to Vermillion. UCA is the return trip from our visit there a couple of years ago. UCA is a great game and I'm excited for it.

That is certainly nice they did that for their fans, I would love to see a quality FCS team here too in place of Mines.

Perhaps this has been posted somewhere but it appears USD is able to bring in non-conference FCS teams. They are bringing in Colgate for a 1 game deal. They also are playing FBS Kansas State.

http://www.usdcoyote...release_id=6290

So, did USD remove us from their 2012 schedule for Colgate, or is the one open date mentioned in the article where we used to reside? If they still have an open date, why aren't we trying to fill it instead of playing Mines?

We spend $1 million a year more on football than either of the SD schools yet can't outdraw them!

Football expenditures (2010)

1. NDSU – 3,332,907

2. UND – 3,145,714

3. SDSU – 2,028,925

4. USD – 2,005,800

It's hard to stomach that UND football has the lowest attendence of the 4 Dakota Schools. The program needs a shot in the arm and scheduling a solid Non Conference home game can do that. Hence, USD hosting Eastern Washington or UND Men's Basketball renewing the NDSU rivalry. I predict another small drop in attendence this season for UND football...invest in the program, Fasion!

FOOTBALL Attendance:

North Dakota

1999 – 7,813

2002 – 9,488

2003 – 9,033

2004 – 9,389

2005 – 9,425

2006 – 8,827

2007 – 9,887

2008 – 10,167

2009 – 8,539

2010 – 8,154

North Dakota State

1999 – 11,410

2000 – 12,723

2002 – 10,620

2003 – 11,567

2004 – 13,269

2005 – 14,160

2006 – 16,377

2007 – 18,141

2008 – 18,032

2009 – 16,515

2010 – 15,944

South Dakota State

1999 – 6,139

2003 – 5,547

2005 – 6,934 (plus 7,239 for game in Sioux Falls)

2006 – 9,652

2007 – 11,218

2008 – 9,907

2009 – 13,265

2010 – 10,023

South Dakota

1999 – 4,408

2003 – 4,341

2005 – 7,597

2006 – 8,054

2007 – 8,321

2008 – 7,645

2009 – 8,117

2010 – 8,352

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/news/release.asp?release_id=6290

K State game is 2015. They have Northwestern in 2012.

If it wasn't for the Big Sky we wouldn't have anything to look forward to (in terms of football), our home attendance will sky rocket once we start conference play. In fact, I believe we will sell out the majority of the games and outgrow the Alerus quickly. I noticed on the Spirit fund raiser site that UND is trying to raise $20 million for an indoor practice/ competition arena. is that a possible new football arena or something entirely different? Anybody help me out on this one?

K State game is 2015. They have Northwestern in 2012.

USD is also playing at Wisconsin in 2011 after playing Minnesota in 2010. USD is being more aggressive or at least more successful in scheduling midwest big schools. Is the reason because of the Sioux name or is Faison sleeping through the phone ringing? I am really getting tired of seeing the other Dakota schools gain more regional exposure when UND kicked their ass for many years on the field. Faison are you awake?

If it wasn't for the Big Sky we wouldn't have anything to look forward to (in terms of football), our home attendance will sky rocket once we start conference play. In fact, I believe we will sell out the majority of the games and outgrow the Alerus quickly. I noticed on the Spirit fund raiser site that UND is trying to raise $20 million for an indoor practice/ competition arena. is that a possible new football arena or something entirely different? Anybody help me out on this one?

Something entirely different....................indoor football field with a track around it that will be used by the entire athletic department for practice.....

Non-conference in 2012 USD plays:

09/08/12 Colgate

09/22/12 @Northwestern

That leaves 09/01/12 and 09/15/12 as the probable open dates. I would guess the MVFC schedule starts up on 09/29/12. Who does UND have scheduled on either 09/01 or 09/15? Keep in mind USD comes to UND in 2011 so I would guess the game would need to be in Verm in 2012. Although, I seem to remember UND coming to Verm in back-to-back years when we transitioned from the NCC schedule to the GWFC schedule. So it would not be out of the question for USD to come to GF in back-to-back years in the interests of preserving this historic rivalry.

Non-conference in 2012 USD plays:

09/08/12 Colgate

09/22/12 @Northwestern

That leaves 09/01/12 and 09/15/12 as the probable open dates. I would guess the MVFC schedule starts up on 09/29/12. Who does UND have scheduled on either 09/01 or 09/15? Keep in mind USD comes to UND in 2011 so I would guess the game would need to be in Verm in 2012. Although, I seem to remember UND coming to Verm in back-to-back years when we transitioned from the NCC schedule to the GWFC schedule. So it would not be out of the question for USD to come to GF in back-to-back years in the interests of preserving this historic rivalry.

9/15 UND is at San Diego State but 9/1 UND is open. Hey Faison call Vermillion ASAP!!!!

That appears to be a fairly sizeable "investment" on the part of UND!!

There was 2 things not great about our 2010 attendance. 1. 3-8 record. Fans don't show when your team sucks. 2. Home opponents. Not a great batch of teams: NE Oklahoma(DII), Northwestern St. (DI), SUU, Lamar (DI) and UC Davis. 9,719 for the NE Oklahoma game only because it was Potato Bowl. If we get a win against Idaho or Fresno St or even play close like the N. Illinois game fans will show for maybe the Drake, Cal Poly, and USD. But its hard to fill seats for 3 D2 teams.

There was 2 things not great about our 2010 attendance. 1. 3-8 record. Fans don't show when your team sucks. 2. Home opponents. Not a great batch of teams: NE Oklahoma(DII), Northwestern St. (DI), SUU, Lamar (DI) and UC Davis. 9,719 for the NE Oklahoma game only because it was Potato Bowl. If we get a win against Idaho or Fresno St or even play close like the N. Illinois game fans will show for maybe the Drake, Cal Poly, and USD. But its hard to fill seats for 3 D2 teams.

You sure? As I indicated here, since moving to DI, the non-DI games have been better attended than the DI games.................... ???