SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

It is quite obvious to me that the decision to fill out the schedule with multiple sub-DI teams was mostly a fiscal one.

I don't know what it cost NDSU to get St. Francis for 2011, but I know it cost a little over $100,000 for them to bring in Wagner. I also know that that was the neighborhood of the cost for us to bring in Stony Brook in 2009 when UND and NDSU were actually in a bidding war to get that team to come to either Grand Forks or Fargo and UND won. One can also assume that is in the area of what we paid Lamar to come to Grand Forks last season.

When NDSU drew 18,000 @ $15/ticket for Wagner, they grossed $270,000.

When UND drew 6,000 @ $15/ticket for Lamar, they grossed $90,000------not even enough to pay the opponent and pay the rent for the Alerus that week.

And unless the Drake game is a home-and-home, which is possible, I'll bet it still cost close to $100k to get them to ride a bus up here. Being it is for the season opener, the athletic department stands an outside chance of breaking even on that game.

By comparison, knowing that Sioux Falls cost $60,000 for two games, one can assume that the going rate for these regional sub-DI games in 2011 dollars is probably $35-45,000.

The point is, the A.D. needs butts in the seats in order to pay to bring in the "quality" competition that so many here say they want. So if you wanna see "better" OOC competition, you better start showing up for Black Hills and Montana Western.

Good news Sioux fans

2012 schedule almost complete

FBS @ San Diego St.

OOC vs Central Arkansas (other end of the home and home in 2009)

8 Big Sky games

leaves only 1 OOC to schedule. Make it a good one Faison.

My guess is it will be a DII or NAIA as the season opener, giving us another 6 home game schedule.

It is quite obvious to me that the decision to fill out the schedule with multiple sub-DI teams was mostly a fiscal one.

I don't know what it cost NDSU to get St. Francis for 2011, but I know it cost a little over $100,000 for them to bring in Wagner. I also know that that was the neighborhood of the cost for us to bring in Stony Brook in 2009 when UND and NDSU were actually in a bidding war to get that team to come to either Grand Forks or Fargo and UND won. One can also assume that is in the area of what we paid Lamar to come to Grand Forks last season.

When UND drew 6,000 @ $15/ticket for Lamar, they grossed $90,000------not even enough to pay the opponent and pay the rent for the Alerus that week.

And unless the Drake game is a home-and-home, which is possible, I'll bet it still cost close to $100k to get them to ride a bus up here. Being it is for the season opener, the athletic department stands an outside chance of breaking even on that game.

By comparison, knowing that Sioux Falls cost $60,000 for two games, one can assume that the going rate for these regional sub-DI games in 2011 dollars is probably $35-45,000.

The point is, the A.D. needs butts in the seats in order to pay to bring in the "quality" competition that so many here say they want. So if you wanna see "better" OOC competition, you better start showing up for Black Hills and Montana Western.

I heard the price was $150k for St Francis - don't remember where I heard it though......

I agree that it's a mistake and a waste of money to attempt to get home FCS non-conference games by paying a guarantee. I'm just wondering why we haven't had a bit more success scheduling home-and-home's? Off the top of my head, we've played at SIU, SE Louisiana and Stephen F. Austin and won't be getting a return game from any of them. We never got Idaho State here due to a poor decision by a certain former administrator. And although it's nobody's fault, we gave Montana a free game. Now, we're apparently doing the same to UNC. So we're now four seasons worth of schedules into the dI transition, and the only home-and-home's we've managed to schedule that have or will actually result in a home non-conference return game are 1) Northwestern State; 2) Central Arkansas; and 3) SDSU. Have I missed any?

I agree that it's a mistake and a waste of money to attempt to get home FCS non-conference games by paying a guarantee. I'm just wondering why we haven't had a bit more success scheduling home-and-home's? Off the top of my head, we've played at SIU, SE Louisiana and Stephen F. Austin and won't be getting a return game from any of them. We never got Idaho State here due to a poor decision by a certain former administrator. And although it's nobody's fault, we gave Montana a free game. Now, we're apparently doing the same to UNC. So we're now four seasons worth of schedules into the dI transition, and the only home-and-home's we've managed to schedule that have or will actually result in a home non-conference return game are 1) Northwestern State; 2) Central Arkansas; and 3) SDSU. Have I missed any?

I've never seen or read anything to indicate that SDSU was more than a one-time game.

I've never seen or read anything to indicate that SDSU was more than a one-time game.

I'm just going off memory, but my recollection is that SDSU wanted a 2-for-1 (which was what USD agreed to with NDSU), but UND held out for a home-and-home and SDSU agreed to it. I don't have any proof of this, however.

The only game slated in 2013 is Montana.

I just posed the question on the Jacks board to see if they know. I was pretty certain that it was a home/home, but who knows if they've already bought it out, or maybe since they don't know the date they haven't put it on the official schedule yet - I don't know....

Just found the article stating it's for a return trip in 2013....

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=204929801

South Dakota State University and the University of North Dakota have finalized an agreement to play a home-and-home series in football, starting with the 2010 season.

The first of the two games is scheduled to be played Nov. 20, 2010, at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium in Brookings, S.D. The Jackrabbits will make a return trip to Grand Forks, N.D., on Sept. 7, 2013.

I just posed the question on the Jacks board to see if they know. I was pretty certain that it was a home/home, but who knows if they've already bought it out, or maybe since they don't know the date they haven't put it on the official schedule yet - I don't know....

Just found the article stating it's for a return trip in 2013....

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=204929801

That takes care of 1 of 3 OOC games for 2013. :D

My first answer would be bargaining power, as in "none." Although it certainly appears USD has had much more success in getting quality opponents to their house.

My first answer would be bargaining power, as in "none." Although it certainly appears USD has had much more success in getting quality opponents to their house.

USD has gotten UNI, SE Louisiana and UNC at home so far through home-and-home deals. That was kind of why I'm a bit irritated that we haven't had similar success in that regard. I assume they've had some buyouts and road-only deals too, but it does seem like they've done a little better than we have scheduling-wise.

USD has gotten UNI, SE Louisiana and UNC at home so far through home-and-home deals. That was kind of why I'm a bit irritated that we haven't had similar success in that regard. I assume they've had some buyouts and road-only deals too, but it does seem like they've done a little better than we have scheduling-wise.

At under 600 miles, Northern Colorado v. USD is probably a bus trip for both schools. USD played at Northern Iowa twice in order to get them to come to Vermillion. They had another 2-for-1 agreement with NDSU that will be voided by their MFVC membership similar to our deal with Montana, only that was a straight up 1-for-1. I believe they are also getting Lamar in 2011 as a return for their trip this season.

So they net 4 home games while UND nets 3. Only big difference is that UNI is a very desirable home game.

At under 600 miles, Northern Colorado v. USD is probably a bus trip for both schools. USD played at Northern Iowa twice in order to get them to come to Vermillion. They had another 2-for-1 agreement with NDSU that will be voided by their MFVC membership similar to our deal with Montana, only that was a straight up 1-for-1. I believe they are also getting Lamar in 2011 as a return for their trip this season.

So they net 4 home games while UND nets 3. Only big difference is that UNI is a very desirable home game.

I wonder if USD is also eventually getting a home game against Montana State? They played at Montana State in both 2008 and 2009, which may suggest that was a 2-for-1, but I don't know that for certain.

Aside from McNeese State, which I believe bought out their contract and never played in Vermillion, it would appear USD has had, or will possibly get return games against all the FCS opponents they've played on the road thus far. Granted, some have been 2-for-1's, but I'd rather have a 2-for-1 than a contract which doesn't result in a return game at all.

USD's 2008 home schedule was a disaster with UND being the only decent game on it. Their 2009 and 2010 home schedules were a little better than UND's, with UNI being the big coup. They nave not released their 2011 schedule, but it appears the only OOC FCS for sure on the schedule will be Lamar. However, there is a rumour on the Coyote Board that they have signed a home and home with Eastern Illinois, but nothing official. Like UND did with Montana and UNC, it looks like USD also is giving away a couple free games when they travel to Western Illinois and Illinois State in 2011, apparently as the front part of a home and home agreement signed before USD was invited to the MVFC.

USD has been much better with their FBS scheduling. Minnesota/Central Florida is better than Idaho/N.Illinois and for next season, Wisconsin/Air Force is way better than Idaho/Freno State. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Air Force are definitely FBS games that it seems UND should be playing rather than USD.

USD's 2008 home schedule was a disaster with UND being the only decent game on it. Their 2009 and 2010 home schedules were a little better than UND's, with UNI being the big coup. They nave not released their 2011 schedule, but it appears the only OOC FCS for sure on the schedule will be Lamar. However, there is a rumour on the Coyote Board that they have signed a home and home with Eastern Illinois, but nothing official. Like UND did with Montana and UNC, it looks like USD also is giving away a couple free games when they travel to Western Illinois and Illinois State in 2011, apparently as the front part of a home and home agreement signed before USD was invited to the MVFC.

USD has been much better with their FBS scheduling. Minnesota/Central Florida is better than Idaho/N.Illinois and for next season, Wisconsin/Air Force is way better than Idaho/Freno State. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Air Force are definitely FBS games that it seems UND should be playing rather than USD.

All hockey playing schools. Thanks for nothing fellas.

Are we still banned from playing Minnesota??

Good news Sioux fans

2012 schedule almost complete

FBS @ San Diego St.

OOC vs Central Arkansas (other end of the home and home in 2009)

8 Big Sky games

leaves only 1 OOC to schedule. Make it a good one Faison.

Anyone know why we couldn't have gotten a couple BSC teams for non-conference? I thought they were hard up for non-conference games.

On the bright side, it's a great year to get a better season ticket location for the future! :D

Anyone know why we couldn't have gotten a couple BSC teams for non-conference? I thought they were hard up for non-conference games.

On the bright side, it's a great year to get a better season ticket location for the future! :D

I want to know how come UND couldn't try to get a home game against UNI I mean we beat them at their house why not go for a home sweep. :D

I was told we have the Gophers on the schedule for around 2015-16.

I just checked out the Gopher site, and they have SDSU listed for the 2015 season, and Indiana State for 2016.

They do have one open date in each of those seasons, but it's unlikely they would schedule a 2nd FCS school.

2017 and beyond look open.

I personally disgusted to see some of the posts by so called Sioux fans on here. Does anyone have a clue how tough it has been to schedule games as a transition team. True Sioux fans just need to hang in there one more year till we are done with transition. Everything is going to be fine. It sounds like a lot of these posters don't even go to games very often anyway. Frankly, the posters who are writing in and saying that they are done supporting Sioux football are embarrassing to our fan base. We really don't need them anyway. I really don't think they are trully Sioux fans anyway. I think they should find a different team to support because their kind of support isn't needed.

This is a tough problem for a transitioning team. It could change the three D2's with FCS opponents but they would all be away games (and ones, given how UND played this past year, a loss) and there would be complaints about having only 3 home games on the schedule. Unfortunately, it's a lose-lose proposition for the AD as the choices are limited.

At this time, the Yotes only have 3 home games on the schedule for next year - Lamar, Davis & Southern Utah and 6 road games - Sioux, Poly, Illinois State, Western Illinois, Wisconsin (they are not the Gophs) and Air Force (better on the ground than in the air). They are trying to fill 2 remaining home dates - hopefully the Eastern Illinois rumor mentioned earlier comes to fruition. Has been some talk of either Sioux Falls or Augie for the remaiing home date. My guess is that the final year before starting conference play is probably the most difficult to fill a home schedule. Hard to make a home and home arrangements as not as many open dates in 2012.

A good site for FCS 2011 schedules is ChampionshipSubdivision.com - http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/fcs-schedules/2011-fcs-football-schedules/.