SiouxSports.com Forum

Blake Wheeler a free agent

petey23

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't reproduce. Everyone in this forum is now....nevermind. WOW.

Thanks for the slam you idiot! I guess I am not allowed an opinion, I think everyone is now dumber for having a goofer fan on a Sioux site, you total and complete ahole!

Thanks for the slam you idiot! I guess I am not allowed an opinion, I think everyone is now dumber for having a goofer fan on a Sioux site, you total and complete ahole!

Although I agree with you, saying what you said could get you suspended around here. I know this from personal experience. :D

Although I agree with you, saying what you said could get you suspended around here. I know this from personal experience. :D

I know but look at what he said, that is a personal attack and it is as I understand it against forum policy! I just responded to his personal attack.

I know but look at what he said, that is a personal attack and is as I understand against forum policy! I just responded to his personal attack.

Dude, I agree with you 100%. Report it to a moderator and IF he does his job then that poster should be dealt with accordingly.

Minny - as in Minnesota (probably obvious)

Mystery- as in the institution (as well as people closley associated with it) frequently do things that are a mystery to most other folks.

I think it should be Minnyentitlement

They think they should get everything given to them just because they are the U of M.

I think it should be Minnyentitlement

They think they should get everything given to them just because they are the U of M.

good one - even the Democrats here called them arrogant and having a feeling of entitlement as they always get their way - latest scenario - the light rail project.

anyway - good luck to Blake

As Triouxp intimated, please keep the debate on the topic instead of attacking each other.

If you think a post is out of bounds, report but otherwise ignore it; attacking back usually just makes things worse. Pretty soon, the thread becomes about the posters instead of the subject (as evidenced by a lot of the last two pages of this thread).

Thanks to everyone for continuing to help keep this a place where people can engage in a debate and disagree without being personally attacked.

Nobody has control over where they're taken. Toews had no control over where he was taken, Drew Stafford had no control over where he was taken, Brian Lee had no control over where he was taken. How do you know he shouldn't have been taken where he was? Are you smarter than Gretz and the Phoenix organization? Maybe he was taken exactly where he should have been, but he wasn't developing under Lucia just like other first rounders Okposo, Chucko, Johnson, etc.

Thanks Rick, it was Chucko who I was trying to think of earlier. Another big forward like Tallackson and Wheeler who didn't develop under Lucia and company. Eric Johnson had to leave early too so he could get proper coaching, forgot about that one already. Remember Jake Taylor? A few years of good development and he'd be a much better player now too. To an extent I am flaming the gophers because I really don't like them. Honestly though, there is enough material out there that Lucia and staff are not developing players adequately...I believe there are some pretty large problems at the U of MN-TC, and some healthy, mature dialogue about these problems is warranted.

Thanks Rick, it was Chucko who I was trying to think of earlier. Another big forward like Tallackson and Wheeler who didn't develop under Lucia and company. Eric Johnson had to leave early too so he could get proper coaching, forgot about that one already. Remember Jake Taylor? A few years of good development and he'd be a much better player now too. To an extent I am flaming the gophers because I really don't like them. Honestly though, there is enough material out there that Lucia and staff are not developing players adequately...I believe there are some pretty large problems at the U of MN-TC, and some healthy, mature dialogue about these problems is warranted.

So, in regards to Taylor and Chucko, Lucia's coaching ruined these kids forever? I ask that because they've each had several years of coaching after leaving Lucia's watch and haven't sniffed the NHL.

Erik Johnson was the top overall pick in the draft, and the rumors that swirled around the prior summer were that he may not even make it to campus. Thus, why are people surprised he left after one season? He played a regular shift in the NHL this past season, so it's not like he wasn't ready. He had 24 points as a freshman defensemen playing behind Goligoski and Vannelli, both of whom had outstanding years that season, especially from a point-production standpoint. If anything, the rumor was EJ was pissed about not being a No. 1 or 2 defensemen, but he just wasn't as good as Goligoski or Vannelli. If Lucia plays his higher than either one of those two, people on this board and others rip Lucia for caving to a star player. Can't have it both ways...

So, in regards to Taylor and Chucko, Lucia's coaching ruined these kids forever? I ask that because they've each had several years of coaching after leaving Lucia's watch and haven't sniffed the NHL.

Erik Johnson was the top overall pick in the draft, and the rumors that swirled around the prior summer were that he may not even make it to campus. Thus, why are people surprised he left after one season? He played a regular shift in the NHL this past season, so it's not like he wasn't ready. He had 24 points as a freshman defensemen playing behind Goligoski and Vannelli, both of whom had outstanding years that season, especially from a point-production standpoint. If anything, the rumor was EJ was pissed about not being a No. 1 or 2 defensemen, but he just wasn't as good as Goligoski or Vannelli. If Lucia plays his higher than either one of those two, people on this board and others rip Lucia for caving to a star player. Can't have it both ways...

See, good discussion. One thing you can't deny, Cardinal: Whether the problems are real or perceived, they are damaging your beloved "U"'s reputation.

See, good discussion. One thing you can't deny, Cardinal: Whether the problems are real or perceived, they are damaging your beloved "U"'s reputation.

I could care less how Sioux fans(who are mainly the ones doing the bashing), fans of other teams, Twin Cities media members, etc. view the U of M. Until it starts hurting recruiting, which it clearly hasn't to this point, then I really don't care. Aside from last season, the team has been very successful in terms or raising banners over Lucia's tenure. If last season is indicative of what's to come, then yes, that's an issue. But as of now, I don't think the 2007-08 Gopher season will be the norm moving forward. Time will tell...

So, in regards to Taylor and Chucko, Lucia's coaching ruined these kids forever?

I don't know if either kid was in the Minnesota program long enough to be ruined.

Chucko was at minnesota two years and Taylor one year.

I don't know if either kid was in the Minnesota program long enough to be ruined.

Chucko was at minnesota two years and Taylor one year.

Agreed, and that was my point to "LetsGoSioux!". Only kids that stay at least three does Lucia have enough time to mess up! :D

Erik Johnson was the top overall pick in the draft, and the rumors that swirled around the prior summer were that he may not even make it to campus. Thus, why are people surprised he left after one season? He played a regular shift in the NHL this past season, so it's not like he wasn't ready.

The point isn't that he left. He was ready for the next level. But, he left taking shots at the program and at Lucia. He was interviewed and talked about his "development" suffering at Minnesota. Then, when he left, POI'ers were taking shots at him and saying he wasn't ready for the next level. Comments like "he hasn't showed anything here, how can he think he's ready for the next level", "good luck traveling around in the minors for the next couple years".

Do you remember all those posts from the Gopher faithful? If you don't, you can probably still go back in the Gopher Puck archives and find them. It wasn't Sioux fans ripping him, it was your POI'ers. Then, when he made the big club right off the bat, amnesia set in and everyone suddenly was saying that he was clearly ready for the next level and that's why he left.

The Sioux have a long list of high profile players that have left early, but the difference is that guys like Toews & Oshie stayed an extra year even when their NHL clubs were doing everything possible to get them to sign. It's impossible to find a Sioux player who's left while taking shots at the program and head coach. It's common to find a Gopher player leaving while taking shots at the program and head coach. There are just too many of them to ignore.

Do you remember all those posts from the Gopher faithful? If you don't, you can probably still go back in the Gopher Puck archives and find them. It wasn't Sioux fans ripping him, it was your POI'ers.

And of course no one at ss.com has ever taken a shot at Hak, right?

The point isn't that he left. He was ready for the next level. But, he left taking shots at the program and at Lucia. He was interviewed and talked about his "development" suffering at Minnesota. Then, when he left, POI'ers were taking shots at him and saying he wasn't ready for the next level. Comments like "he hasn't showed anything here, how can he think he's ready for the next level", "good luck traveling around in the minors for the next couple years".

Do you remember all those posts from the Gopher faithful? If you don't, you can probably still go back in the Gopher Puck archives and find them. It wasn't Sioux fans ripping him, it was your POI'ers. Then, when he made the big club right off the bat, amnesia set in and everyone suddenly was saying that he was clearly ready for the next level and that's why he left.

The Sioux have a long list of high profile players that have left early, but the difference is that guys like Toews & Oshie stayed an extra year even when their NHL clubs were doing everything possible to get them to sign. It's impossible to find a Sioux player who's left while taking shots at the program and head coach. It's common to find a Gopher player leaving while taking shots at the program and head coach. There are just too many of them to ignore.

so, it sure is funny how Vanek, a product of a sucky coach like Lucia, somehow makes more money than any player ever from UND. I guess for every player like Duncan, who regresses every year at UND, Minnesota produces a Vanek, who signs a $50 million dollar contract.

and, as far as Wheeler is concerned, anybody who doesn't understand why a NHL player would prefer to be a free agent, and pick his own team, and his own home town, and where he is going to live, and who his coach is, and his teammates, doesn't really understand anything. Wheeler thought these things were more important than money, something you don't usually see from many pro players.

Wow!!! I am really uninformed as to how pro-hockey contracting works. I had no idea that a player could pick what team he wants to play, where he wants to play, who his coach will be and who his teammates will be! How naive can a person be!?! :D

Let me sum up what I've taken from this thread thus far:

1. Wheeler is a bust.

2. It is Lucia's fault.

3. Wheeler messed with the Yotes and the Yotes messed with Wheeler and Wheeler walked.

WTF?

Set aside the irrational hatred. We're nothing better than happy when it comes to this crap!

Wheeler's situation is baffling. He got the rookie max but didn't feel like Phoenix would let him play in the NHL right away. Seems selfish, but it is Phoenix's fault ultimately because they spent the last 3 years or more convincing him that he's got that kind of talent.

It was only Gretzky who saw it that way. Everyone else (I was one of the loudest detractors of Wayne's selection of Wheeler here on SS.com, but certainly not the only) knows he's late 1st round talent and STILL IS. He's got great size and the flexibility to play wing and center. He'll make it somewhere, but not in Phoenix... maybe.

I'm not sure what the rule is on this, but can't Phoenix still sign him? They may not, but couldn't they?

In any case, if this thread is going to be yet another venue for Gopher bashing, then we mustn't be surprised when the red X appears and the word "Closed" replaces the "Reply" button.

Like I said in my post, the root of Johnson's "rift" with Lucia was his lack of quality minutes, in Johnson's mind; I don't think he really came out and said that Lucia wasn't a good coach, but if he did, correct me if I'm wrong. As I also said, any objective onlooker would have agreed that he was the third best defenseman on that team, and that Lucia should not have have caved to his demands (if there were any in-season) to be put on the top pairing just because of his draft status versus those playing around him.

In my opinion, the reason some Gopher fans thought it was not wise of him to stay is because he wasn't that dominant guy that some expected him to be. Were those expectations unreasonable given his position, the league he was playing in, etc.? Yeah, probably. But to see him be pretty good but not great and then go pro probably rubbed some people the wrong way. That being said, rational fans probably realized that given his draft status and the lineup he had to crack, he was going to be an NHL'er from day one, just like Jack Johnson was for a non-playoff team as well. Put either of those two in Detroit's system, as an example, and they're not with the big club.

I'm not trying to put down posters on any board, but I think with SS and GPL in particular, there can be some "fringe" people (i.e. the annual "FIRE HAK!!@1!" threads around here) that tend to me more vocal than others and thus can represent a view that most rational fans don't agree with. Like I said though, that's a two-way street, so one should keep that in mind when making generalizations about team-specific boards.

I agree that, to an extent, there seem to be more "me first" players that end up at Minnesota versus North Dakota. That being said, if I only read SS, one would think that the Gophers have had zero success over the last few years when that's simply not true. Yes, you guys have made it to more Frozen Fours, and that's great; just like it's great that the Gophers have won the regular season title twice and playoff title once over that same stretch. So, both "ways" of doing things seem to pay off. Over time, could this hurt Minnesota? Sure, I guess. But we'll see. As I said, one down season (though still making the NCAAs and making a little noise at the end of what was a dreadful year by Gopher standards isn't too bad all things considered) isn't enough to offset the success they've previously had under Lucia. If you guys want to pat yourselves on the back for doing things the "right way," being a family, etc., that's cool. But last time I checked, they don't hang up banners for things like that.

The Gophers too have had players that easily could have left but chose to hang on (Leopold, Ballard, Martin, Ryan Potulny, etc.), so UND is not the only program to have guys stick around when they could be playing in the NHL or close to being called up while in the AHL.

so, it sure is funny how Vanek, a product of a sucky coach like Lucia, somehow makes more money than any player ever from UND. I guess for every player like Duncan, who regresses every year at UND, Minnesota produces a Vanek, who signs a $50 million dollar contract.

and, as far as Wheeler is concerned, anybody who doesn't understand why a NHL player would prefer to be a free agent, and pick his own team, and his own home town, and where he is going to live, and who his coach is, and his teammates, doesn't really understand anything. Wheeler thought these things were more important than money, something you don't usually see from many pro players.

Did Duncan regress this year because he didn't win the Hobey Baker? His stats dropped somewhat, but his leadership went up. You should know better than that. As far as Vanek goes, numerous people said he didn't deserve that kind of money. That was when Edmonton was over-bidding on players like Vanek and Penner to get a good, young player. Vanek is a good player, but not 7 years, $50 million good. I can't believe Edmonton didn't get both of them to be honest. His contract should probably be about 1/2 that value. And that would still be a good deal.

Anyways, I'm not knocking on Wheeler, because I completely agree with your assessment of being a free agent is an advantage. As long as he takes advantage of it and lands on a team that suits his style of play and has openings.

delusional.