SiouxSports.com Forum

Early prediction

OETKB

The thread topic is early predictions. Several have picked the Gophers to win. You choose to argue a Sioux fans post that picked the Sioux to beat the Gophs (seems that you were comfortable until that happened). Go ahead and make your predictions (which would be sticking to the thread). Just don't expect everyone here will pick the Gophers. Not that predictions mean anything anyway.

I think Goon said he thinks the Sioux will win the national title and I didn't say anything about it. So to insinuate that I only posted because one guy on here favored the Sioux rather than MN would be inaccurate when I never said a word about Goon's comments. I only posted because skateshattrick's reasoning on MN didn't seem to make much sense.

I asked him to clarify why he would say a team wouldn't win the league based on the fact that they have "not won the league title the last 2 years, so I do not expect that this year"..... yet the team he did pick to win it hadn't won the league the last two years either and finished behind MN in both of those years. It just seemed like rather odd reasoning to eliminate a team from the top spot.

If his follow up to my question had been stated in his original post, I wouldn't have remarked on anything. Just like I never remarked on Goon's comments.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If his follow up to my question had been stated in his original post, I wouldn't have remarked on anything. Just like I never remarked on Goon's comments.

I actually made that statement for a reason I actually went fishing and no one bit...

It's getting just a little harsh in here.  Of course Hammy is part of the "axis of evil" and I recognize that, but if he wants to come in here in the offseason and show a little bit of his Gopher-love, it doesn't seem to warrant too much ill-will.  JMO.

I agree with jk. Not to take the side of a gopher fan :glare: but I don't think Hammy has been out of line with any of his posts here. In fact, I rather like having non-sioux fan perspectives on the board.

Gall Darn it, I was hoping Hammy and HANDY-man would have commented on my post. :angry: I also had one about Vanek and what pro team he is going to...

I honestly don't think Hammy is too bad most of the time he seems logical and non-offensive :glare: in the whole grand sceme of things there are more offensive UofM fans: Yellow Turd is the first that comes to mind, Happy (I need prozac is second) and a few others. I wouldn't throw him off of the site for a non-Sioux opinion.

I honestly don't think Hammy is too bad most of the time he seems logical and non-offensive

Actually from my super-secret inside pipeline source to the powers that be at siouxsports.com, Hammy was NOT the top choice for the most offensive (gopher) poster on the siouxsports.com board. Not that the siouxsports.com powers-that-be didn't put in a call to Hammy, but only AFTER they'd already signed up better talented party line-spewing flackees (is that a word?), I digress... Not saying that Hammy doesn't have TALENT at spinning and stirring the pot, but he just isn't in the same league as our very own Pucker the master of equal opportunity offensiveness. And had Pucker been unavailable, and they needed to go outside normal recruiting grounds for a posser er... poster next on the siouxsports.com hit list respectively were: Drop The Puck (who was noticeably absent this past season) and "the flavor of the month name" aka newman/eaglebunny/ Cathy's something or other/I'm forgetting 12 other names .... Again I'm not taking anything away from Hammy's abilities, it's just that, well, they're not what siouxsports.com deemed recruitable.

Actually, what I was trying to say is "Leave Hammy ALONE. He's doing the best he can." :glare:

Airmail - Be carefull what you wish for.  ;)  ;)

:glare: Good Point....

Okay... back on topic... my objective early predictions:

*We take WCHA

*We lose to Goldy on Saturday night of the Final Five (a motivational ploy by Dean "the Genius" Blaise)

*gophers get their tails cut off by Michigan in the NCAA

*We win #8 :angry:, and don't even riot.

Nope. The Sioux do to their obviously superior "regular" season play get the #1 in the Springs.

Michigan is a #1 and the Gophers claim the last #1 out east.

Gophers beat Michigan in the semis, BC in the Final for the threepeat. Amazingly, the Gophers are declared honorary Hockey East Champions as well for knocking off Maine, UNH and BC in consecutive seasons.

please find a dollar and buy a clue! :angry: )

The price has gone up ;) ...it used to be a quarter :glare:

How's this...

We win the WCHA

The Gophers and the Sioux let Duluth win the Final Five to be nice ;)

Sioux get #1 seed in the Springs, Rodents get a #1 out East.

The Sioux massacre Goldy 22-0 for the NC, with Parise netting a hat trick (Jordan) and Zach and Money getting 6 each...

......objectively, of course :p

You can have the WCHA...means nothing!

In fact you can have the Broadmoor too...MEANS NOTHING!!

True, the Broadmoor means very little. The Fighting Sioux decided long ago that they wouldn't even display the banner.

The WCHA is the premier hockey league in the country. Saying the WCHA regular season championship means nothing is like saying the Big Ten regular season championship in football means nothing. Winning the WCHA regular season championship and losing the NCAA national championship is very frustrating and disappointing. Losing the WCHA regular season championship but winning the NCAA championship is a very good accomplishment, even though it isn't totally satisfying. But there is nothing like winning the WCHA Championship and the NCAA Championship in the same season.....THAT is the ultimate.

Note: The above is not sarcasm....if you can't see that, please find a dollar and buy a clue! :glare:

The "ultimate" is gonna vary based on your own personal point of view. Though it is certainly a heck of an accomplishment to win the league and national title in the same year, I'd bet more people may think that being able to successfully defend a national title is the "ultimate". :glare:

The "ultimate" is gonna vary based on your own personal point of view. Though it is certainly a heck of an accomplishment to win the league and national title in the same year, I'd bet more people may think that being able to successfully defend a national title is the "ultimate". :glare:

Those are the same people that have no idea what it is like to win the WCHA championship and the NCAA championship in the same year. :angry:

If I were an SCCC fan, God forbid, the "Ultimate" would be winning just *one* NC$$ tourney game, or having a never ending supply of paint thinner. If I were a UAA fan, the "Ultimate" might be finishing above .500 for more than one consecutive season, or opening a Krispy Kreme store across from Fournier's place. :glare::angry:

True, the Broadmoor means very little. The Fighting Sioux decided long ago that they wouldn't even display the banner.

The WCHA is the premier hockey league in the country. Saying the WCHA regular season championship means nothing is like saying the Big Ten regular season championship in football means nothing. Winning the WCHA regular season championship and losing the NCAA national championship is very frustrating and disappointing. Losing the WCHA regular season championship but winning the NCAA championship is a very good accomplishment, even though it isn't totally satisfying. But there is nothing like winning the WCHA Championship and the NCAA Championship in the same season.....THAT is the ultimate.

Note: The above is not sarcasm....if you can't see that, please find a dollar and buy a clue! :glare:

Winning the WCHA regular season means alot, much more than the WCHA tourney unless your team needed the auto-bid for NCAA entrance. Sadly it also means you probably will not win the NCAA title.

As for winning the conference in the same season as you win the NCAA being the ultimate, I bet every member of the '97-'98 Sioux would have traded their share of the '97 McNaughton for simply a shot at the '98 Frozen Four.

Similarly no-one on the '01 Sioux Runners up would have traded that for beating UW for the '00 McNaughton.

It is an incredible feat and maybe the ultimate accomplishment for team in a single season, but in multi-year analysis it will lose out.

Those are the same people that have no idea what it is like to win the WCHA championship and the NCAA championship in the same year. :angry:

I guess I could say the same thing for people whose team has never repeated as national champs. ;)

Since the Gophers have never won the regular season WCHA and the NCAA's in the same year I do not know what it feels like. But I do know the following 1) winning the WCHA titles in 1975, 1981, & 1989 were little (ahem) consolation when MN lost in the NCAA championship game and 2) winning the NCAA's the past two seasons without winning the WCHA didn't seem to damper me enthusiasm.

There is no question winning a national championship is the ultimate and Sioux fans can relate as UND has won it seven times.

And although UND has never won back to back titles and I am not a Gopher fan, I would think that as special as winning two in a row may be, winning the one in 2002, after an 57 :glare: year absence and doing it in your hometown in front of your hometown fans would be the ultimate, but that is just me.