SiouxSports.com Forum

Holy Cross jerseys

forecheck

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hockey1 - I agree with you in that I wouldn't spend my money on a Holy Cross jersey or any other jersey than a Sioux jersey. That is just the way I am, but if someone else wants to do it, fine with me. As for this game, it is the only time in college hockey history that a #16 seeded team defeated the #1 seeded team in all the land. To top it off, Holy Cross was much more than 15 slots below the Gophers as the only reason they were there is by winning their conference tournament. I am sure that there have been other instances where a top ranked team has lost to someone ranked far below them. But that does not compare to a loss under such circumstances when all of the marbles are on the table and the loser goes home. Besides, I am simply referring to the numerous statements from sports announcers, coaches, and other hockey pundits. In fact, I heard it again at the Frozen Four this year, not from another Sioux fan but from the NCAA. In case you weren't there to notice, the NCAA highlight clips included it.

That's not true. I believe Holy Cross was around 18 or 19 in the pairwise. They weren't that far from getting an at large bid. When Michigan Tech won in Madison the Badgers were #1 and tech was somewhere in the 40's. On paper that was a much bigger upset, although because of the circumstances I can see why the Holy Cross game is considered to be bigger.

The GOphers lost to Holy Cross......HOGWASH, acccording to Bob Norton in the Regional tourney this year it was North Dakota that lost to Holy Cross in that game. :D (that guy really needs to go!)

Norton must have been in the scotch. :D

I will stop bringing up the Holy Cross loss and Robbie Bina's goal when Gopher fans stop bringing up Ralph's Nazi parties that he apologized for and calling me a jew hater without knowing me.

My point is it is a rivalary and fans are insane about their team which I have no problem with as long as it is kept to hockey and not other things.

As for wearing a BC jersey, go for it....just remember they beat you guys this year too. Losing to BC does not bug me as they are a great team who with UND and the UM are contenders every year. My team screwed up this year at the Frozen Four against them, oh well, I am over it and looking ahead to next year. You don't want to hear about it, don't read the thread. My cousin's 3 year old could tell you that. :D

It is not only Sioux fans who believe this was a huge upset, if not the biggest upset in college hockey, so does the NCAA. I noticed during the regionals and frozen four that they were promoting a video and that highlight was playing when they talked about great upsets. Not that I am a fan of the NCAA!!!!!!!

I own one of the HC jerseys and it reminds me of the most exciting night at the Ralph, not a Gopher loss.

As for MN fans getting BC jerseys I have no problem with it. We lost to the National Champs this year, I can live with that. They have a great program and I would rather see somebody from the "State of Hockey" wearing a BC jersey than one that has an M on it!

It is not only Sioux fans who believe this was a huge upset, if not the biggest upset in college hockey, so does the NCAA. I noticed during the regionals and frozen four that they were promoting a video and that highlight was playing when they talked about great upsets. Not that I am a fan of the NCAA!!!!!!!

Great post, no matter what people say the Holy Cross was a awesome win for the Holy Cross hockey team and it still makes me snicker when ever I think about it. The fact that PA from KFAN plays it all the time for Puffy makes it significant. I could care less if a Gopher fans wants to wear that God awful hockey jersey that is their problem.

............As for MN fans getting BC jerseys I have no problem with it. We lost to the National Champs this year, I can live with that. They have a great program and I would rather see somebody from the "State of Hockey" wearing a BC jersey than one that has an M on it!

The problem is, you don't see Gopher fans going out and buying BC jerseys. The same can't be said about our fanbase going out and buying Holy Cross jerseys. It's sad, really, that we have fans that take more pride in another team's loss than the successes that the Sioux have had on the ice. Then again, it has been awhile since we've won the national championship. Not good considering the WCHA dominance for the majority of the last 6-7 years.

The problem is, you don't see Gopher fans going out and buying BC jerseys. The same can't be said about our fanbase going out and buying Holy Cross jerseys. It's sad, really, that we have fans that take more pride in another team's loss than the successes that the Sioux have had on the ice. Then again, it has been awhile since we've won the national championship. Not good considering the WCHA dominance for the majority of the last 6-7 years.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling! The Sioux haven't won a national title since, what, 2000? Oh my! When's the last time Miami won? Notre Dame? Providence? Western Michigan? UMD? Colorado College? I could keep going...but I think you get the point. I've personally attended one national championship and watched a second one on TV. I could die tomorrow a happy Sioux fan and have that be enough.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling! The Sioux haven't won a national title since, what, 2000? Oh my! When's the last time Miami won? Notre Dame? Providence? Western Michigan? UMD? Colorado College? I could keep going...but I think you get the point. I've personally attended one national championship and watched a second one on TV. I could die tomorrow a happy Sioux fan and have that be enough.

We aren't the Chicago Cubs of DI hockey. No need to worry.

I think people (especially Sioux fans) are buying into the Holy Cross thing as a symbol of the Holy Cross team (a non-glorified college hockey team) working VERY hard to win a VERY important game. I think we would have glorified them no matter who they beat, it's just that it happened to be the Gophers in our regional that night.

It is apples and oranges to compare Holy Cross to BC, as BC IS a well-respected college hockey team that makes it to the NCAA tournament a lot. It's not as big of a deal to lose to them as they seem to play us a lot.

I think people (especially Sioux fans) are buying into the Holy Cross thing as a symbol of the Holy Cross team (a non-glorified college hockey team) working VERY hard to win a VERY important game. I think we would have glorified them no matter who they beat, it's just that it happened to be the Gophers in our regional that night.

It is apples and oranges to compare Holy Cross to BC, as BC IS a well-respected college hockey team that makes it to the NCAA tournament a lot. It's not as big of a deal to lose to them as they seem to play us a lot.

The only similarity between the two schools are the "priviledged" students and alumni who truly believe they are the best of the best in the country. I have two good friends who attend BC and they feel the same way I do in regards to the attitudes of people who go to school there. They truly believe they are better than others simply because they attend a historic private school. The same goes for Holy Cross, only worse. This is why I could never understand the Holy Cross fascination. It is a school that is the complete opposite of UND, and one whose students probably have a very low opinion of society in the Upper Mid-West. If one thinks that people in the Minneapolis area have the misinformed view of Grand forks being hickville, just think what people who pay $32,000+ a year to attend Holy Cross think of the area. Of course, this is a completely stereotypical analysis, and I'm sure there are many people who don't fit this description at both schools.

The only similarity between the two schools are the "priviledged" students and alumni who truly believe they are the best of the best in the country. I have two good friends who attend BC and they feel the same way I do in regards to the attitudes of people who go to school there. They truly believe they are better than others simply because they attend a historic private school. The same goes for Holy Cross, only worse. This is why I could never understand the Holy Cross fascination. It is a school that is the complete opposite of UND, and one whose students probably have a very low opinion of society in the Upper Mid-West. If one thinks that people in the Minneapolis area have the misinformed view of Grand forks being hickville, just think what people who pay $32,000+ a year to attend Holy Cross think of the area. Of course, this is a completely stereotypical analysis, and I'm sure there are many people who don't fit this description at both schools.

Hmnnnnnnn...but students and alumni of Notre Dame are salt-of-the-earth people who don't look down at anyone else? :D

I think the reason the defeat of the Goofs by Holy Cross was that it was so funny to a lot of Sioux fans is that the Goofs lost to the AHA champion Holy Cross was that the Gophers fans were in everyone's faces talking how they were going to breeze through the regional Marriucci west was what REA was being referred to. I also remember being told that there was no chance that Holy Cross beats the Gophers as well. I think another reason it was SOOOOO funny was that we had so much about back to back and frankly their fans grated on us.

Like I have mentioned before I had some Skippy come up to me while I was at a urinal (Gopher fans are famous for confronting you at the URINAL) and tell me that our team would have lost to the Gophers. I told the guy Skippy your team is on the bus home already. His reply was but we would have won...

Like I have mentioned before I had some Skippy come up to me while I was at a urinal (Gopher fans are famous for confronting you at the URINAL) and tell me that our team would have lost to the Gophers. I told the guy Skippy your team is on the bus home already. His reply was but we would have won...

:D :D :)

I think the reason the defeat of the Goofs by Holy Cross was that it was so funny to a lot of Sioux fans is that the Goofs lost to the AHA champion Holy Cross was that the Gophers fans were in everyone's faces talking how they were going to breeze through the regional Marriucci west was what REA was being referred to. I also remember being told that there was no chance that Holy Cross beats the Gophers as well. I think another reason it was SOOOOO funny was that we had so much about back to back and frankly their fans grated on us.

I have fans from wcha teams confront me at the urinal all the time. Sounds like you handled that a**hat well.

10 years from now our losses will still just be losses.

Pretty sure all the losses in question added one 'L' to the record of each team and both losses (or in UND's case all three) ended their respective seasons. :D

I think people (especially Sioux fans) are buying into the Holy Cross thing as a symbol of the Holy Cross team (a non-glorified college hockey team) working VERY hard to win a VERY important game.

I don't care either way - I think it's all in good fun and part of one the best rivalries in all of sport (UM-UND hockey) but I don't buy that as being the main reason why most of those jersies were bought for a second. Que sera, sera.