SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Chants

breakin face

Let's say hypothetically the name gets canned in the next couple years and it is changed. Do you think UND crowds will stop ending the anthem "...and the home of the SIOUX!!!", yelling "Sioux Yeah Yeah", or "Hey Go Sioux"? I for one don't see these chants leaving with the nickname. This bears the question to the tribes whether or not changing the nickname will have any affect on how the fans look at University of North Dakota athletics. Discuss playas.

--Breakin face "Half Cherokee and Choctaw"

They will go away...it would just be dumb to keep up the chants when its not actually your nickname. It's life, move on with it. I'm sure the new nickname will be just fine and maybe the fans will be creative enough to make up new chants, I could only hope.

They will go away...it would just be dumb to keep up the chants when its not actually your nickname. It's life, move on with it. I'm sure the new nickname will be just fine and maybe the fans will be creative enough to make up new chants, I could only hope.

Uh, ok. The chants will not go away. Just look at Dartmouth. Their old mascot has been gone for over 30 years and chants, shirts, etc. stemming from it are alive and well.

Uh, ok. The chants will not go away. Just look at Dartmouth. Their old mascot has been gone for over 30 years and chants, shirts, etc. stemming from it are alive and well.

I don't see the chants going away anytime soon.

• 1 month later...

The chants wont go away for a few years after...at the very least. Those that are still attending games if the name gets canned, they will still do those chants and cheers, while the new students coming in may do some, but I would think they'd have more of a "wtf!?" attitude towards it, though I'm sure there will be a lot of new kids joining in and leading those cheers.

I agree with Roben for the most part.

The "home of the Sioux" chant will linger for sure. The Sioux Yeah Yeah thing may go away in time.

I know for a fact that many great chants that were seemingly cemented into UND hockey tradition have gone the way of the DoDo bird.

True, most of them are lewd and obnoxious, but how many posters who have only known the new REA know the:

Black hole chant? The Mickey Mouse chant? All the variations of the "Give me an..." chants? The Tech song? "Eff the Gophers/Badgers" song?

Can anyone remember the last time the REA played the song "Mona Mona"?

Those mostly died with the opening of the new REA. With the nickname, I'm sure the Sioux chants will eventually go into the "Do you remember the..." section

True, most of them are lewd and obnoxious...

Big, big difference between the Chicago Stadium and the UC: not as many "L & O" chants. Or perhaps opponents and/or refs just don't fall over their skates as often in the new place.
:silly:

Can anyone remember the last time the REA played the song "Mona Mona"?

If this is the Neil Diamond song, I wouldn't count on hearing it ever again.

Much like the Grand Forks Central Redskins name lives forever in the minds of current students and alumni, so too will the Fighting Sioux nickname live on. :silly: Riiight. It'll be around for a few years, people will wear their Sioux jerseys, and then as time continues to march on, those who attend games will cheer for and support the athletes who wear the new logo and nickname. It will take time, but after a few years, only the old-timers will remember the Fighting Sioux nickname.

Much like the Grand Forks Central Redskins name lives forever in the minds of current students and alumni, so too will the Fighting Sioux nickname live on. :silly: Riiight. It'll be around for a few years, people will wear their Sioux jerseys, and then as time continues to march on, those who attend games will cheer for and support the athletes who wear the new logo and nickname. It will take time, but after a few years, only the old-timers will remember the Fighting Sioux nickname.

I just hope when the retire the name its a name and logo we can all get behind.

I will never wear a jersey that has Flickertail on it.

• 4 weeks later...
If you don't believe the name is going to change you have your head in the sand.

I agree if they don't get a vote of the people of their tribes then the Sioux name is dead cause the tribal council is NOT going to change their minds in less than 2 1/2 years.

I agree if they don't get a vote of the people of their tribes then the Sioux name is dead cause the tribal council is NOT going to change their minds in less than 2 1/2 years.

Simple weasels are in charge of things now. What they should be doing, from the Governor to Goetz to alumni to natives who support the name to North Dakotans generally, is working towards getting a vote going on both reservations. There is no reason to get rid of it in less than 3 years. Why get 3 years if you're just going to change in in 6 months? Can anyone say "politcal cover" and "appearances without foundation"? What a bunch of whining, whimpering, spineless, floundering weasels.

Simple weasels are in charge of things now. What they should be doing, from the Governor to Goetz to alumni to natives who support the name to North Dakotans generally, is working towards getting a vote going on both reservations. There is no reason to get rid of it in less than 3 years. Why get 3 years if you're just going to change in in 6 months? Can anyone say "politcal cover" and "appearances without foundation"? What a bunch of whining, whimpering, spineless, floundering weasels.

I agree!!! They gave us 3 years to work something out. What happened to the cooling off period? It seems there has been everything but a cooling off period and Goetz and his people are just trying to wash their hands of the situation and drop the nickname.

Also, I recall Coach Hakstol saying last spring that now is the time we (as UND and fans) come together to work something out with the Sioux tribes. Why has nothing been done on the University's end? I understand the SBOHE is heading the logo talks, but wouldn't it be wise for UND and the athletic teams to step in and show some support for the nickname? Be pro-active.....I still believe something will be reached with the tribes. I believe some changes will take place, but it's hard for me to believe that the nickname will be gone completely. There are too many alumni that financial support Sioux Athletics that would be pretty upset if the nickname is changed! With UND heading D1

The Standing Rock tribal council has already made the decision NOT to let the tribe vote on the name and logo. We need TWO ND Sioux tribes to ok the name and logo. Unless this tribal council is voted out of office, the name and logo will be gone into history.

It'll be around for a few years, people will wear their Sioux jerseys, and then as time continues to march on, those who attend games will cheer for and support the athletes who wear the new logo and nickname. It will take time, but after a few years, only the old-timers will remember the Fighting Sioux nickname.

It could last for a very very long time if the University simply drops the name and logo, rather than replaces it.

It could last for a very very long time if the University simply drops the name and logo, rather than replaces it.

Agree. You'll never please everyone, why not just say "we're North Dakota" and let people expand that as much or as little as they wish?

(Personally, I have zero desire to ever see another symbol at Illinois.)

Simply we would be the University of North dakota and have a UND or something like that past to the front of our uniform.