SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the WCHA?

breakin face

First time poster long time readed here, I am just curious as to where everybody sees the WCHA in the next five years. Do you think the league is looking to expand, disband, or stay exactly the same. I far one wouldn't be shocked to see the State University of Bemidji in place of the dogheads at Michigan Tech. I hope the league is still going to be top notch year in and year out, but with grumblings of a new western league forming with the Colorado schools and the Alaska's I am worried we will lose two solid members in Denver and CC. Hit me with facts bloggers!!!

First time poster long time readed here, I am just curious as to where everybody sees the WCHA in the next five years. Do you think the league is looking to expand, disband, or stay exactly the same. I far one wouldn't be shocked to see the State University of Bemidji in place of the dogheads at Michigan Tech. I hope the league is still going to be top notch year in and year out, but with grumblings of a new western league forming with the Colorado schools and the Alaska's I am worried we will lose two solid members in Denver and CC. Hit me with facts bloggers!!!

there is no way denver and cc leave the wcha for a new western conference with the the alaska schools they would be fools.

Sorry, but MTU has a very long WCHA history. I would prefer to keep them. If anyone leaves, it should be UAA. That might not be good from their perspective, but to me they are the weakest link in the conference. There are geographically remote from the rest of the conference. I am not seeking to get rid of them, just that it would make more WCHA sense for them to go. MTU is fine geographically and they have had their good years in the league. Houghton is also a good place to visit as a fan. If anyone leaves, I believe that we would have several schools clamoring to get in (especially Bemidji), but I would hate to lose anyone other than UAA. I view the formation of a Big 10 conference a bigger threat to the WCHA.

Sorry, but MTU has a very long WCHA history. I would prefer to keep them. If anyone leaves, it should be UAA. That might not be good from their perspective, but to me they are the weakest link in the conference. There are geographically remote from the rest of the conference. I am not seeking to get rid of them, just that it would make more WCHA sense for them to go. MTU is fine geographically and they have had their good years in the league. Houghton is also a good place to visit as a fan. If anyone leaves, I believe that we would have several schools clamoring to get in (especially Bemidji), but I would hate to lose anyone other than UAA. I view the formation of a Big 10 conference a bigger threat to the WCHA.

I have a feeling Anchorage is here to stay, they have no where to go. Tech on the other hand would be a nice fit in the CCHA with six Michigan schools already in it. There is no way the CCHA would adopt another Alaska team causing their schools to shoot out to AK twice a year. There is absolutely no way the coaches and athletic directors would allow that to happen. I can see a conference consisting of Denver, CC, Air Force, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Omaha, and the potential British Columbia schools being a legit possibility. The Big Ten conference has been beaten to death already, and frankly if it was going to happen it would have happened by now.

OK, but seriously, nobody in their right mind would leave the WCHA.

And, I can't see the WCHA adding teams (borderline too many already).

The most that can happen is the scheduling agreement with Bemidji so their program can stay afloat until a viable conference choice comes up ...

If the WCHA loses teams (Minnesota & Wisconsin) it probably can be blamed on the Big Ten Network. I personally would hate to see it happen, but I think it probably will at some point. The Big Ten would love to give their teams more exposure and generate more fan interest by playing each other. It is ultimately about making money.

Capital Times

If the WCHA loses teams (Minnesota & Wisconsin) it probably can be blamed on the Big Ten Network. I pesonally would hate to see it happen, but I think it probably will at some point. The Big Ten would love to give their teams more exposure and generate more fan interest by playing each other. It is ultimately about making money.

Capital Times

You can talk about this all you want it probably isn't going to happen, it isn't going to affect UND all that much... I have heard about this since I was in my late 20's, just for the record I am now 41, yeah ok... UND would still be a power house reguardless if there is a Big ten conference or not, there would only be 6 teams and they would still have to play other teams, they are not guarenteed sucess either. Say they get 6 teams I doubt your going to see 5 of BTHC teams making the NCAA tourney... Some one is going to lose...

Edited by Goon

Normally, I would dismiss the Big Ten hockey league becoming a reality. In the past the words have come from people hoping to to see a Big Ten Conference in Hockey. Common sense and money were always the issues. However, with the advent of th BTN and the fact that Illinois and Penn State are successfully growing teams in the ACHA with support from the Universities. You cant just laugh it off anymore. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State and Illinois would not be Universities dismissed if they came together to form a league. Auto bids would not be an issue, I wouldn't want to see it. I never thought I would see a school build a womens soccer stadium, softball stadium, Women's hockey arena and a Rowing house because they have a football program either. Dumber things have been done.

I never thought I would see a school build a womens soccer stadium, softball stadium, Women's hockey arena and a Rowing house because they have a football program either. Dumber things have been done.

Rather keep them barefoot and pregnant, huh? :silly:

Seriously, your Neanderthal garb is showing.

Rather keep them barefoot and pregnant, huh? :0

Seriously, your Neanderthal garb is showing.

Get off of your high horse. :D Your judgemental as* is showing..... You have no idea how wrong you are. :silly:

I was talking about the "business" model of building and using capital that would be more wisley spent elswhere at a public U.

Know it all...explain the need for Ridder Arena? The very core of why Ridder is there?