SiouxSports.com Forum

pull the freakin' goalie !

cyberbum

why, why can't Hak ever, ever, ever pull out a goalie who is obviously struggling?

Pulling a goalie who is having a bad night sends a message to the whole team - WAKE UP

Leaving him in sends another message - SUCK IT UP.

that is all I have to say on this topic.

PS - I have been a Sioux fan, and alumni, from GF, since 1976, this is the biggest [edit] embarassment I have yet to see in the Sioux Legacy.

my $.02

why, why can't Hak ever, ever, ever pull out a goalie who is obviously struggling?

Pulling a goalie who is having a bad night sends a message to the whole team - WAKE UP

Leaving him in sends another message - SUCK IT UP.

that is all I have to say on this topic.

PS - I have been a Sioux fan, and alumni, from GF, since 1976, this is the biggest disappointment I have yet to see in the Sioux Legacy.

my $.02

Because up until this season, Walski was a practice goaltender. And it didn't matter who was playing goal at the time, our defense and offense were nonexistant so it wouldn't have mattered anyways.

And Eades after the game told us why: "Lamoreaux got us here."

Yes, your rational is somewhat sound (as proved by Michigan doing so and win...oh wait), but I don't think Walski would have done anything.

Please close this thread before it turns into another Hakstol or JPL bashing thread. Thanks.

You're not going to hook a senior goaltender who lead the nation in all goaltending statistics. The one Gerbe goal (3-0)was the only bad goal. The first goal was a 2 on 1, the second was a breakaway by a 30 goal man, the fourth was a total screen. Gerbe's back hander was unstoppable and the 6th goal was a beautiful saucer pass that was backhanded into the upper corner near side.

The Sioux were dead at 4-0, hooking JPL wouldn't have changes anything.

I recall Phil struggling a little in the first period against Michigan last year, pulled it together and allowed the Sioux to come back and win that game. I thought about pulling Phil yesterday, but decided I wouldn't do it. It was an atypically bad game by him at the beginning.

PS - I have been a Sioux fan, and alumni, from GF, since 1976, this is the biggest disappointment I have yet to see in the Sioux Legacy.

An even bigger disappointment than losing the NCAA title to the Badgers in Engelstad Arena?

An even bigger disappointment than scoring two incredible goals in the 2001 final to tie the game in the last minute...only to lose the game in OT?

An even bigger disappointment than losing the NCAA title to the Badgers in Engelstad Arena?

An even bigger disappointment than scoring two incredible goals in the 2001 final to tie the game in the last minute...only to lose the game in OT?

Yes - even bigger, the team played with no heart in this game, that is what hurts the most.

You're not going to hook a senior goaltender who lead the nation in all goaltending statistics. The one Gerbe goal (3-0)was the only bad goal. The first goal was a 2 on 1, the second was a breakaway by a 30 goal man, the fourth was a total screen. Gerbe's back hander was unstoppable and the 6th goal was a beautiful saucer pass that was backhanded into the upper corner near side.

The Sioux were dead at 4-0, hooking JPL wouldn't have changes anything.

I disagree - the whole team needed a shakeup/wakeup call.

Because up until this season, Walski was a practice goaltender. And it didn't matter who was playing goal at the time, our defense and offense were nonexistant so it wouldn't have mattered anyways.

Yes, your rational is somewhat sound (as proved by Michigan doing so and win...oh wait), but I don't think Walski would have done anything.

Please close this thread before it turns into another Hakstol or JPL bashing thread. Thanks.

changing the goalie is something Hak has never done, and it was a mistake in this case not to try it.

We didn't lose the NCAA title to the Badgers in Engelstad Arena, we lost in the WCHA playoffs, which effectively ended our chance at an NCAA title.

changing the goalie is something Hak has never done, and it was a mistake in this case not to try it.

Since he has never done it, and as Dagies said he had an experience that he stayed with Lammy and it worked out well, why would he all of a sudden change? If the players see him doing things out of his character, they would tend to panic themselves. Let's face it, you or other fans like you would be complaining today if he pulled Lammy after a few goals and put in Walski if Walski didn't stop the same shots. If we had a dual goaltending system most of the year, more people might be apt to take you seriously.

We didn't lose the NCAA title to the Badgers in Engelstad Arena, we lost in the WCHA playoffs, which effectively ended our chance at an NCAA title.

I worded my post poorly. Sorry the confusion. Yes, I was referring to the 1983 season when the Sioux were essentially eliminated in the playoffs and fans had to stomach watching Wisconsin defeat Harvard in Grand Forks for the NCAA title. My original post implies a Sioux/Wisconsin title game, which wasn't the case.

I recall Phil struggling a little in the first period against Michigan last year, pulled it together and allowed the Sioux to come back and win that game. I thought about pulling Phil yesterday, but decided I wouldn't do it. It was an atypically bad game by him at the beginning.

No doubt, Lammy saved this team's butt over and over again this year, and that became even more apparent in the recent several weeks, no more than the 2 games in the Kohl regional. He always gave them the chance to win, and they usually did.

Finally, he matched the performance of the Sioux team yesterday, for the first time all year.

I would agree with you on JPL too. Michigan had no problem pulling their Sauer and putting in a freshman goaltender. It worked...until OT.

Although Sauer has a recent history of turning to Swiss cheese, while Lammy does not.

Really? Last I saw, Michigan won the CCHA regular season title and the playoff title. How recently do you mean?

In the NCAA's (especially in regional games vs the Sioux), apparently not this year before yesterday, although I didn't see Michigan play before last night.

If the players see him doing things out of his character, they would tend to panic themselves.

I think this is exactly the reason you pull your goalie, to make the team panic and realize they need to pull their heads out of their butts! Maybe Hak decided that Phil wasn't the problem, it was the whole team that was the problem. I think Phil tried to showboat too much on Goal #1, a simple butterfly save with the stick on the ice would've been more effective than stacking the pads. Goal #3 was a result of lack-of-focus on Phil's part. He was so good at keeping that stuff out this season, going in the butterfly and smothering the puck in his chest to remove the rebound. Goal #5 was pretty brutal, Phil was break dancing for some reason? It looked like his legs were made of lead and he couldn't get back up to stop Gerbe! Was he trying to repeat his Sportscenter Play of the day from last year when he did the breakdancing stop on Gerbe or something?

I don't know why we fall down when we play BC but it is starting to seem like they have us too psyched out now. Actually, it just seemed like the team ran out of gas at the wrong time of the year again! It sucks to hear about the other teams that made it too the championship game yet again this year!

And it's something that the coaching staff should be accountable for, not building towards a back up for your #1 goalie....... We needed at change, nothing again Lammy he has carried the team. I was loud and clear coaching staff didn

Since he has never done it, and as Dagies said he had an experience that he stayed with Lammy and it worked out well, why would he all of a sudden change? If the players see him doing things out of his character, they would tend to panic themselves. Let's face it, you or other fans like you would be complaining today if he pulled Lammy after a few goals and put in Walski if Walski didn't stop the same shots. If we had a dual goaltending system most of the year, more people might be apt to take you seriously.

when was the last time you saw them down 6-0?

desparate times call for desparate means or mesures.

a tactician that cannot change course when confronted with unsurmountable odss faces certain doom.

I think last night is the perfect illustration why I think a team needs to have two able goalies that can play great and

if one of the goalies is having an off night they can take a seat. I don't buy the argument that one goalie needs to take the reigns and no one else plays. There are many good team in hockey both pros and in college that have two good goalies.

I don't get it that about half of the threads that I've been reading is someone calling for it to be closed. I understand closing something like a thread created with the intention to bash Finley, but what's wrong with a thread like this? Fans have the right to be upset. You can be a true Sioux fan without being blindly faithful.

I don't get it that about half of the threads that I've been reading is someone calling for it to be closed. I understand closing something like a thread created with the intention to bash Finley, but what's wrong with a thread like this? Fans have the right to be upset. You can be a true Sioux fan without being blindly faithful.

I haven't seen anything negative in here...