SiouxSports.com Forum

Are you in Denver?

richthorpe

The following was an article in today's Boston Globe. The two Sioux fans were Sioux Fan in Boston and me. The BC Fans were great with some banter going between us. It was funny!!!! :D

Go Sioux!!!!!!

The Boston Globe April 10, 2008

Charter club

North Dakota fans work extra hard to support their team. A chartered airplane will bring fans here this morning.

For those who can't get to Colorado, the Sioux are hosting what they call the world's largest viewing party at Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks, N.D.

In conjunction with the 2008 World Curling Championships, currently going on at the rink, North Dakota will offer music, food, beverages, and large video screens in the 30,000-square-foot Broken Broom lounge in the REA Olympic Arena.

After acknowledging the fervor of UND fans, head coach Dave Hakstol said, "There's only one place I'd rather be - here."

More evidence: On an early morning flight from Boston to Denver yesterday, lots of travelers were BC fans headed to the Frozen Four, decked out in BC hats and sweat shirts. But two North Dakota fans found their way onto the plane and no one could miss them; they were already wearing the bright green Sioux game jerseys.

Growth experience

The Sioux have embraced a twist on the traditional "playoff beard" grown by many athletes in the postseason for luck. The North Dakota players have chosen to go with moustaches, giving them something of an '80s look.

"We've gone with the beards the last few years and it hasn't quite got us over the hump," said Taylor Chorney, whose Sioux have lost to Boston College in the semifinals for two consecutive years, "so this year we decided to try something new and go with the moustaches."

Apparently some fathers, who wore those moustaches in the '80s in earnest, have joined in. "My coach, Cary Eades, he rocks the moustache," Chorney said. "My dad, too." Marc Chorney was a defenseman for North Dakota's 1980 national champions.

"Some of us aren't as fortunate to be able to contribute to this," said goalie Jean-Philippe Lamoureux, whose moustache is a wispy thing. "It's something fun, it kind of brings the guys together. Keeps everyone loose."

"It's pretty nonexistent," T.J. Oshie said of his moustache.

"And that's three weeks' growth," Chorney cracked.

For those coming into Denver today, there is snow on the ground, and it is still snowing. There doesn't seem to be too much snow and the roadways just look to be wet. I25 is still moving by at a quick pace and I've only heard emergency vehicles once so far this morning. Wind may be a factor on visibility in the open.

BE SAFE!!

Flew in last night. Plane was overbooked, but volunteers took "bumps", so got in the air and landed on time. Rain last night, snow this morning. Not many folks walking around downtown. We've seen BC and Michigan fans, no Notre Dame fan sightings yet. Fun to see others too-Wisconsin, Minnesota (kind of), UNH, UMD, etc. Most fan sightings-Sioux, of course! We'll be heading to Brooklyn's early-it's going to be packed!!!!

I'd like to be in Denver.....anyone going if they win today???

I have tentative plans to head out to Denver if the Sioux win. However, I am supposed to meet up with my cousin in Sioux Falls. With the blizzard, I don't know if we will make it however. If you are interested in a ride out should the Sioux win and weather permits, let me know. I will have room for one or two people...

Tickets were very hard to come by. Scalpers made a mint. Lowers started out around 200 each and progressed as it went. I know some pairs went for $600 plus, uppers for $400, these prices were not the strips,just today's games. Even the scalpers didn't expect the demand.

Tickets were very hard to come by. Scalpers made a mint. Lowers started out around 200 each and progressed as it went. I know some pairs went for $600 plus, uppers for $400, these prices were not the strips,just today's games. Even the scalpers didn't expect the demand.

I was wondering about that. TV said attendance was over 18500, a sell out.

Alot of empty seats in the lower bowl for both games. Most likely the DU and CC fans that lost out, but wanted to make out on the other fans. The upper bowl was pretty much filled.

I am still here till Sunday. Love college hockey!! Wouldn't miss the title game even if I hate both teams with a passion.

I will most likely wear a Wayne State jersey as a good-bye to the program. I will miss team and their 150 other fans. :D

Again, the love of college hockey.