SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota Oil Industry

GeauxSioux

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dubai on the Prairies or Buffalo Commons?

While North Dakota’s “original oil in place” figure exceeds the UAE’s currently recoverable reserves, Dubai is a Las Vegas-like showpiece today because the oil there is so much easier to get at. Many Persian Gulf reserves are so accessible that oil companies can profit even when oil sells for a few dollars a barrel. So, the oil flowed decades ago when the price was exactly that, and it has flowed steadily ever since.
North Dakota, the new Dubai??...

dubai-towers-dubai.jpg

Is there any talk about giving a tax credit or payment to ND Residents like Alaska does ? plus no State taxes or sales tax except for Oil & Gas & no gax tax for ND Residents

Here is the best way ever to get folks to come back to ND

& a State run refinery & pipe out gas & fuel

maybe we don't want that many people :glare:

A lot has to happen before ND is going to see a significant impact beyond the drilling.

1) The pipeline capacity does not exist to move additional oil. Pipelines are the most economic way to move oil. Yes they can truck it, but the roads will pay a price and that will squeeze the profit margin.

2) The refineries don't exist to use the oil. The U.S. has not built a new refinery since the 1970's. Why? Environmental regulations make it extremely difficult to get approval in today's environment. The environmental lobby will oppose any refinery expansion. To top it off, Congress has told the oil companies that it has a goal to reduce oil usage, hence there is no need for new refineries. Why would an oil company build a refinery that will take years to pay for itself if the government is saying we plan to reduce your product line. Current refineries are running at full capacity, therefore any little hiccup at an oil refinery makes fuel even scarcer, driving up the price and speculators drive it up further.

3) We have a Class I area in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Any air modeling that shows degradation of visibility or any other air impact, for even a few hours per year, will make an extremely high barrier to getting approval to add a refinery in ND.

As a North Dakota native, I am happy to see the position that the state seems to be finding itself in. But a lot has to happen before the state will really begin to reap the full benefits. I have been on the business side for too long to believe that the needed infrastructure improvements will happen in the near future.

Alaska had all those same obstacles & more

It all depends on if we (USA) really want to solve problems or just let the market & private companies do it

I hope ND is proactive & not just reactive - this could make or break our future & help solve a lot of our States problems that have been discussed for along time - but are never funded

Years ago I had a stock broker in Vancouver BC. We would invest in little companies on the Vancouver Exchange. I would ask how honest these companies and exchange were. He would respond let the crooks make there money we might make some to.

When President Reagan took office they quit enforcing the Sherman anti-trust laws, he allowed Big oil companies to buy up the small ones and shut down their refineries. This caused the shortage.

No refineries were shut down for enivironmental reason or due to regulations. There were 305 refineries in 1985 and there 78 now. Making less gas raises the price and makes more money.

Monopolies and collusion within the oil companies is the problem.

And finially debt has caused the dollar to collapse. Of course deficites don't matter according to our Vice President. In the US oil prices are up 300%. In Europe they are up 60%.

In the US oil prices are up 300%. In Europe they are up 60%.

Whoa there!! Be careful how you use statistics here. Their starting point was much higher than the U.S. Even though our prices have risen dramatically, their gasoline prices are still higher.

Years ago I had a stock broker in Vancouver BC. We would invest in little companies on the Vancouver Exchange. I would ask how honest these companies and exchange were. He would respond let the crooks make there money we might make some to.

When President Reagan took office they quit enforcing the Sherman anti-trust laws, he allowed Big oil companies to buy up the small ones and shut down their refineries. This caused the shortage.

No refineries were shut down for enivironmental reason or due to regulations. There were 305 refineries in 1985 and there 78 now. Making less gas raises the price and makes more money.

Monopolies and collusion within the oil companies is the problem.

And finially debt has caused the dollar to collapse. Of course deficites don't matter according to our Vice President. In the US oil prices are up 300%. In Europe they are up 60%.

Yes the number of refineries has declined over the years, but I don't fully blame "Big Oil". There are actually 149 operable refineries in the U.S. The refineries that we do have are more efficient than they were back in 1976.

The Clean Air Act of 1990 had quite an impact on the numbers of refineries and caused some of the consolidation and the larger companies buying the smaller ones. The regulations were too overwhelming to some of the smaller players.

fig4.gif

Edited by GeauxSioux

Yes the number of refineries has declined over the years, but I don't fully blame "Big Oil". There are actually 149 operable refineries in the U.S. The refineries that we do have are more efficient than they were back in 1976.

The Clean Air Act of 1990 had quite an impact on the numbers of refineries and caused some of the consolidation and the larger companies buying the smaller ones. The regulations were too overwhelming to some of the smaller players.

fig4.gif

Not that I'm calling you a partisan but it always seems to break down this way.

A conservative-It's never the fault of business

A liberal-It's never the fault the little guy, always a victim

Not that I'm calling you a partisan but it always seems to break down this way.

A conservative-It's never the fault of business

A liberal-It's never the fault the little guy, always a victim

I'll agree that liberal=victim, but won't agree that liberal=little guy. :glare:

I'll agree that liberal=victim, but won't agree that liberal=little guy. :glare:

Are you talking about class warfare?

Warren Buffett-Quote

There's class warfare all right. But it is my class, the rich class

that's making war. And were winning!

Poor people don't have lobbyists. The rich do.

Are you talking about class warfare?

Warren Buffett-Quote

There's class warfare all right. But it is my class, the rich class

that's making war. And were winning!

Poor people don't have lobbyists. The rich do.

I'm talking about life.

"Rich" people create jobs. The only jobs poor people create is more people to handle entitlement programs. As Neil Boortz puts it, we are creating a "mommy culture" that can't take care of itself.

I just wish all of the "doofs" (republicans and democrats) in DC would stop spending so much money.

It is called capitalism. You can complain about it or profit from it yourself - CLR, HES, WLL, EOG and to a smaller extent MDU.

I am pretty happy about buying CLR last fall. I have owned MDU for years. I wish I had a piece of the rest of those companies.

The execs at these companies are making money either way. So long as they follow the SEC rules they are not doing anything wrong.

This is why capitalism works. You can either sit on the sidelines and watch big business make money or you can invest in big business and make money with them.

April 15 - CLR was $38/share Today $50/share

April 15 - MDU was $27.50/share Today almost $30/share

April 15 - HES was $101/share Today $118+/share

April 15 - WLL was $75.50/share Today $79.60/share

April 15 - EOG was $128/share Today $138/share

All five of these companies will continue to do well in the near future. At some point there will be a pop in all but MDU (who is very diversified). Frankly I will take $3/gallon gas if I can make a 300% return on CLR.

The price of oil has numerous factors. The politicians attempt to dumb it down and blame one or two factors, but this is not the case. Hillary and Obama have called for "windfall" taxes against oil companies. So in their minds increasing a companies tax liability will reduce the price of said company's product :glare:

Frankly I expected more from Obama than the standard rhetoric. Say what you will about Bill Clinton, but at least he had a grasp on economics. Apparently the same can be said about his wife.

Who knows what John McCain thinks, if anything. Why would he open his mouth when his competition is destroying each other?

Alaska had all those same obstacles & more

Yes, Alaska had challenges but it was an entirely different world back then. The permitting is a little tougher now, but the opposition is much tougher. I have the distinct privilege (? - more like curse) of working in the energy industry in ND, SD, and MN. You can do business in the Dakotas, but forget MN. If you are going to move that oil through MN to major markets with a new pipeline, good luck. As of the 2007 MN state legislative session, their total answer to the energy situation is to build wind turbines and say absolutely no to anything that might involve CO2 emissions. MN passed a CO2 law and are working to form a regional CO2 reduction coalition and plan. State law now says mandatory CO2 reductions. You can't get there by providing vehicles with gasoline. I've been working on a project that under state law the regulators must issue a decision within 1 year. We filed 2 years, 10 months, and 25 days ago. And we still don't know when a decision will be rendered. If ND can find a market for the oil without involving MN, they have a chance. If it involves MN, you still have a chance but you better be in for the long haul because it won't happen quick if at all. ND and MN have energy laws that are 180 degree opposites. What is prohibited in ND is mandatory in MN and what is allowed in ND is prohibted in MN. The result is gridlock on any multi-state projects.

Sorry, but that is just my experience tainted view. By the way Fetch, have you tried any of your son's sausage yet? Last I heard he was afraid to give you some because you would want it all.

• 2 weeks later...

CLR to start drilling in Bakken

The Stock jumped above $60/share. A 400% gain for me since buying it last fall. 63% gain since April 15.

If you can't beat em joint em. :D

This is why capitalism works. You can either sit on the sidelines and watch big business make money or you can invest in big business and make money with them.

April 15 - CLR was $38/share Today $50/share

April 15 - MDU was $27.50/share Today almost $30/share

April 15 - HES was $101/share Today $118+/share

April 15 - WLL was $75.50/share Today $79.60/share

April 15 - EOG was $128/share Today $138/share

All five of these companies will continue to do well in the near future. At some point there will be a pop in all but MDU (who is very diversified). Frankly I will take $3/gallon gas if I can make a 300% return on CLR.

The price of oil has numerous factors. The politicians attempt to dumb it down and blame one or two factors, but this is not the case. Hillary and Obama have called for "windfall" taxes against oil companies. So in their minds increasing a companies tax liability will reduce the price of said company's product :D

Frankly I expected more from Obama than the standard rhetoric. Say what you will about Bill Clinton, but at least he had a grasp on economics. Apparently the same can be said about his wife.

Who knows what John McCain thinks, if anything. Why would he open his mouth when his competition is destroying each other?

Congrats! Nice investment. Got any more tips. :D

Polymet Mining - PLM. They are going to start mining nickel, copper and precious metals in the mesabi iron range. They are converting an iron ore facility and should start producing within a year.

I get 10% of any profits made on my tips (and 0% of any losses) :D

Polymet Mining - PLM. They are going to start mining nickel, copper and precious metals in the mesabi iron range. They are converting an iron ore facility and should start producing within a year.

I get 10% of any profits made on my tips (and 0% of any losses) :D

How about I send you some Moon Pies as payment. Mmmm. Moon Pies. :D

• 3 weeks later...