SiouxSports.com Forum

Post Season Awards Thread

AZSIOUX

WCHA Awards:

Player of Year- Bachman

Rookie of Year - Bachman

Def. Player of Year - Hillen

Coach of Year - Jutting

First Team: Forwards -- Chad Rau, junior, Colorado College; T.J. Oshie, jr., North Dakota; Ryan Lasch, sophomore, St. Cloud State; Defensemen -- Jack Hillen, senior, CC; Taylor Chorney, jr., UND; Goalie -- Richard Bachman, freshman CC.

Second Team: F -- Andreas Nodl, so., SCSU; Ryan Duncan, jr., UND; Garrett Roe, fr., SCSU; D -- Chris Butler, jr., Denver; Chay Genoway, so., UND; G -- Jean-Philippe Lamoureux, sr., UND.

Third Team: F -- Tyler Bozak, fr., DU; Blake Wheeler, jr., Minnesota; Kyle Turris, fr., Wisconsin; D -- Robbie Bina, sr., UND; Jamie McBain, so., UW; G -- Peter Mannino, sr., DU.

Rookie Team: F -- Turris; Bozak; Roe; D -- Ryan McDonagh, UW; Cade Fairchild, UM; G -- Bachman.

WCHA Awards:

Player of Year- Bachman

Rookie of Year - Bachman

Def. Player of Year - Hillen

Coach of Year - Jutting

First Team: Forwards -- Chad Rau, junior, Colorado College; T.J. Oshie, jr., North Dakota; Ryan Lasch, sophomore, St. Cloud State; Defensemen -- Jack Hillen, senior, CC; Taylor Chorney, jr., UND; Goalie -- Richard Bachman, freshman CC.

Second Team: F -- Andreas Nodl, so., SCSU; Ryan Duncan, jr., UND; Garrett Roe, fr., SCSU; D -- Chris Butler, jr., Denver; Chay Genoway, so., UND; G -- Jean-Philippe Lamoureux, sr., UND.

Third Team: F -- Tyler Bozak, fr., DU; Blake Wheeler, jr., Minnesota; Kyle Turris, fr., Wisconsin; D -- Robbie Bina, sr., UND; Jamie McBain, so., UW; G -- Peter Mannino, sr., DU.

Rookie Team: F -- Turris; Bozak; Roe; D -- Ryan McDonagh, UW; Cade Fairchild, UM; G -- Bachman.

1 of the 4 sioux d men were gona get left off a team and that was finley. seems they based these on points i my eyes. joe deserved 1st or 2nd team. genoway was my 1st team pick with joe on 2nd and chorney 3rd team. oh well. the teams look pretty solid otherwise. the lamoureux vs bachman debate is tough. i bet it was very close and could have went either way. congrats to the sioux players now lets get a another banner!

JPL and TJ named top 10 Hobey Baker finalists.

Without TJ in this list it would have been very hard to take it seriously.

JPL and TJ top ten finalists

Amazing that no CC player made the list. Bachman and Rau were deserving. Colorado Springs paper points out that CC did not do a good job of promoting which may be necessary when talking about the HB.

1 of the 4 sioux d men were gona get left off a team and that was finley. seems they based these on points i my eyes. joe deserved 1st or 2nd team. genoway was my 1st team pick with joe on 2nd and chorney 3rd team. oh well. the teams look pretty solid otherwise. the lamoureux vs bachman debate is tough. i bet it was very close and could have went either way. congrats to the sioux players now lets get a another banner!

I think Finley's "get under the skin" tactics may also have hurt him in the voting. That's been a theme since like forever in all-WCHA voting. Plus I'm still a bit stunned that UND got 3 defensemen pick. Pleased, but stunned.

Overall, there's no way to argue that 6 Sioux is too few. CC only got 3, which I think is too few.

The only pick I don't like is Turris, who is a great talent but the voting is for this year. I think there were many forwards in the league that were more effective, and his defensive play is not good enough to merit picking a guy who only scored 6 goals in WCHA games.

Amazing that no CC player made the list. Bachman and Rau were deserving. Colorado Springs paper points out that CC did not do a good job of promoting which may be necessary when talking about the HB.

Heard Hakstol say on Wednesday with Dan Hammer that UND doesn't do any "extra" promoting for awards such as the Hobey Baker award. He said that the performance of the players should be enough to let the voters know either way.

Heard Hakstol say on Wednesday with Dan Hammer that UND doesn't do any "extra" promoting for awards such as the Hobey Baker award. He said that the performance of the players should be enough to let the voters know either way.

Boy, if so that's a recent policy change. I honestly don't remember if they did much for Duncan, but I'm pretty sure I remember official promotions for some of Blake, Parise, Bochenski, and Panzer for the Hobey.

I don't know about robbed, but I probably would have given him the edge over Bachman, particularly since he's a senior and Bachman is a freshman. The Sioux did very well, but you could make a case for Joe Finley and even Vandy.

I think that might be why Bachman was picked, actually. JPL is a senior with experience in the league and experience in big games. Bachman has no experience at the D1 level and showed poise, confidence, and talent. I think especially for a goalie there is a learning curve in this league. The fans try to get under the goalie's skin, the other PLAYERS try to get under the goalie's skin, and there's more pressure to win. In my opinion, a freshman truly standing out in the league (living up to the hype rather than just being a subject of hype) is more impressive than a senior truly standing out in the league. Plus, this isn't a lifetime achievement award, so being a senior has nothing to do with it.

Don't jump on me for this (aw heck, bring it on, I don't care), but I wonder if Lammy's "embellishment" tactics may have factored in a little as well.

• 2 weeks later...

college hockey news -

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2008/04/01_porter.php

FIRST TEAM All-CHN

F Kevin Porter, Sr., Michigan

F Nathan Gerbe, Jr., Boston College

F Ryan Jones, Sr., Miami

D Alec Martinez, Miami

D Jack Hillen, Sr., Colorado College

G Jean-Philippe Lamoureux, Jr., North Dakota

SECOND TEAM All-CHN

F Chad Kolarik, Sr., Michigan