SiouxSports.com Forum

Injuries?

MJohnce

I hope this isn't coming from DL - who else would know what the coaches are telling him but the players themselves - or you are making it up.

FYI - passing the puck to a forward is what a Dman is supposed to do. The WCHA is not the USHL, in case you haven't noticed.

He does not have the quickness Genoway has (1st 3-5 steps) to break down WCHA forwards at this point. This is why Genoway was able to pitch in at forward.

DL just needs to keep making good/fast decisions with the puck and he will be fine. Leave him alone.

I was not trying to rag on DL at all. He is obviously on the team and seeing ice for a reason. I think he looks slow and that is just my smelly opinion. I agree the team will be fine. Get the next two W's for Chay and Evan!!!!!!!!!!! Then I'll see you at the Ralph for the first round. :angry:

Hey! buddy buddy

Yeah? buddy buddy

Woah, buddy buddy

LETS GO SIOUX!!!!!!!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this isn't coming from DL - who else would know what the coaches are telling him but the players themselves - or you are making it up.

FYI - passing the puck to a forward is what a Dman is supposed to do. The WCHA is not the USHL, in case you haven't noticed.

He does not have the quickness Genoway has (1st 3-5 steps) to break down WCHA forwards at this point. This is why Genoway was able to pitch in at forward.

DL just needs to keep making good/fast decisions with the puck and he will be fine. Leave him alone.

All you have to do is watch and you will understand the micro management comment. It has been happening since January. He is playing with little or no confidence.

I understand that the WCHA is not the USHL!!! I have been around the block a few times. If a Dman is to pass the puck to the forward then why have we watched Chay skate the puck up the ice on the second power play unit and shot the puck in the goalies glove. From what I was taught may years ago you never put the puck in deep and set up the power play. I will give Chay credit that he has scored on a few of those rushes, but most have been a stopage if play.

My point is that Derrick has the same ability to do the samething. He may not be as fast, but his ability to protect the puck with the stick allows him to get around the fore check of the other teams forwards. Give him a change to move the puck up the ice and he will surprise you all. Chay does not have the stick and never will.

and its time for both to step their game up a notch as both will be playing until/if we get chay back. i have full confidence in both. now lets see it!!

What is the real deal with Forney? Is he even on the radar any longer?

Chay does not have the stick and never will.

I'm not writing this to rag on DL, but to say that Chay "doesn't have the stick and never will" is just silly. The way that Chay has elevated his play this year is amazing and he continues to get better each game. He has 22 points (6 goals and 16 assists - 5th on the team in scoring) and is a +13 (2nd after Little Joe), so obviously Chay must have at least a little bit of stick. :angry:

From an opposing fan's perspective, I fear Genoway as much as any player on the Sioux from an offensive perspective, FWIW...

ive heard that from a few gopher/sconnie fans. the way he brings the puck up the ice is fun to watch and the kid can shoot.

If a Dman is to pass the puck to the forward then why have we watched Chay skate the puck up the ice on the second power play unit and shot the puck in the goalies glove.

My point is that Derrick has the same ability to do the same thing.

As a dman gets more comfortable in the league, he can take more liberties with the puck. I don't remember Chay doing that last year at all. But this year he is more confident and more used to the speed of the WCHA.

I agree that LaPoint has that same ability in him (and Marto as well for that matter). But a coach will normally want to keep a tighter rein on a freshman, especially a defenseman. I would bet that next year LaPoint starts to blossom more and shows us more of his offensive potential. But for this year, I'm guessing that he is working on the defensive side of his game a bit more...which is what he is out there to do. We don't need him skating the puck up the ice every shift, we just need him to play sound, defensive hockey.

All you have to do is watch and you will understand the micro management comment. It has been happening since January. He is playing with little or no confidence.

I understand that the WCHA is not the USHL!!! I have been around the block a few times. If a Dman is to pass the puck to the forward then why have we watched Chay skate the puck up the ice on the second power play unit and shot the puck in the goalies glove. From what I was taught may years ago you never put the puck in deep and set up the power play. I will give Chay credit that he has scored on a few of those rushes, but most have been a stopage if play.

My point is that Derrick has the same ability to do the samething. He may not be as fast, but his ability to protect the puck with the stick allows him to get around the fore check of the other teams forwards. Give him a change to move the puck up the ice and he will surprise you all. Chay does not have the stick and never will.

You are obviously someone close to Derrick Lapoint, and have some bias. That is fine, and I have refrained from saying anything negativeabout him out of respect for him and people like you that read this board. However, you are well past the line when you make negative comments about Chay Genoway in order to build up Lapoint. I was at the game on Sunday and watched Lapoint consistently struggle getting the puck out of the zone. I believe he will eventually be a very good player in this league, but it lacks knowledge and perspective to argue that he is in the same class at this time with Chay. It is frankly laughable. Chay Genoway is arguably the most skilled player on the Sioux other than Oshie. If he had the size of Chorney (another great player), the pros would be gushing over him. Derrick Lapoint has a lot to prove before you compare him to Genoway, because frankly, he cannot do the things that Chay does even if given the green light by the coaches. Get some credibility and perspective. :angry:

i like all the sioux players :angry: and their different skills they bring to the table :( chays a difference maker and will be missed - bottom line

but

chays going to be out so we are rolling with marto and lapoint, maybe they even will be paired together. no freshman talk anymore. its time to shine on the big stage in the playoffs for both of them!!

Every player brings something different and unique to the game that is their's. I have enjoyed watching LaPointe grow this season. Yes, he has stagnated some the second half (hit a freshman wall, maybe?). You will not convince me he has been micro-managed. Our coaching staff is excellent at bringing players' abilities out, not snuffing them out.

The reality is, though, that LaPointe is not the complete, nor offensive defenseman that Genoway is (I felt Genoway was our best defenseman at both ends of the rink in the NCAA's last year). Will he become that? I don't know. Because he is not a great accelerator, he will probably not be nearly as effective at rushing the puck as either Genoway is or Marto is becoming. Just because he has a long reach does not mean he can protect the puck well enough to make end to end rushes. If it did Finley would do it, or Matt Greene and Matt Smaby would have done it. Rushing the puck defensemen are a rare breed. It is not a knock on LaPointe that he is not one. But the facts are Genoway is one, and Marto is quickly becoming one. That's good for the team.

LaPointe simply does not have that same ability, as you suggest he does. We will simply agree to disagree there. He can still become an effective offensive defenseman, but, in my mind, he will not be a great puck rushing defenseman.

I appreciate Speed_Kills' holding his tongue in keeping away from flaming LaPoint.

Obviously, flaming LaPoint only shows pettiness and a need to walk away for a while.

Chay Genoway is injured. I think LaPoint has a great opportunity to step up during this, sure, and has the skills to do it too. However, Chay is fast. LaPoint is big. Both have its advantages but expecting LaPoint to be a 1 for 1 replacement is ridiculous.

Who has to step up? Robbie Bina. Yeah, he's played well, but he's somewhat stagnated lately offensively. He's a senior. He can pick it up.

I say let LaPoint continue to grow and finish up his freshman year with 100% fan support. Same thing with Marto.

IIRC, the best games LaPoint has played has been with Marto as his defensive partner. Maybe we should cheer for their opportunity while we hope for a speedy recovery by Chay.

Oh, and Marto's not a 1 for 1 replacement for Chay either. Marto isn't as fast, doesn't have as great of a shot as Genoway, and isn't even the third best outlet passer on the team.

Genoway has been the best defenseman all year for the Sioux. Chorney and Finley have had great outlet passing (Genoway has the total package). LaPoint's outlet passing is good and is improving. Marto's outlet passing is decent as is his puck carrying skills, but he's no better than LaPoint IMO.

Obviously, flaming LaPoint only shows pettiness and a need to walk away for a while.

IMO there has been constructive criticism re: LaPoint with virtually every poster realizing that there is a learning curve in the WCHA for frosh defensemen with the only "pettiness" being directed at Genoway which is laughable.

I like LaPoint but believe he needs to elevate his game while Chay is out. I have every confidence that he can do that but the fact remains he needs to play better than he has over the last several weeks.

IMO there has been constructive criticism re: LaPoint with virtually every poster realizing that there is a learning curve in the WCHA for frosh defensemen with the only "pettiness" being directed at Genoway which is laughable.

I like LaPoint but believe he needs to elevate his game while Chay is out. I have every confidence that he can do that but the fact remains he needs to play better than he has over the last several weeks.

Well said.

I also think we should stop assuming to know what the coaches are telling the players - unless you heard it for yourself.

I appreciate Speed_Kills' holding his tongue in keeping away from flaming LaPoint.

Chay Genoway is injured. I think LaPoint has a great opportunity to step up during this, sure, and has the skills to do it too. However, Chay is fast. LaPoint is big. Both have its advantages but expecting LaPoint to be a 1 for 1 replacement is ridiculous.

Who has to step up? Robbie Bina. Yeah, he's played well, but he's somewhat stagnated lately offensively. He's a senior. He can pick it up.

I say let LaPoint continue to grow and finish up his freshman year with 100% fan support. Same thing with Marto.

IIRC, the best games LaPoint has played has been with Marto as his defensive partner. Maybe we should cheer for their opportunity while we hope for a speedy recovery by Chay.

Oh, and Marto's not a 1 for 1 replacement for Chay either. Marto isn't as fast, doesn't have as great of a shot as Genoway, and isn't even the third best outlet passer on the team.

Genoway has been the best defenseman all year for the Sioux. Chorney and Finley have had great outlet passing (Genoway has the total package). LaPoint's outlet passing is good and is improving. Marto's outlet passing is decent as is his puck carrying skills, but he's no better than LaPoint IMO.

You do realize marto was the fastest Sioux in the skills competition :angry: Genoway may be quicker but Marto is flat out faster.

This team has a way of stepping up and filling any 'void' left by an injury or international travel. I have confidence that's just what they'll do in this case as well.

I'll be surprised if we're going to hear much details about the injuries. And we shouldn't. HIPPA laws are pretty tough. I just hope whatever injuries Evan and Chay have, they recover quickly and completely.

This team has a way of stepping up and filling any 'void' left by an injury or international travel. I have confidence that's just what they'll do in this case as well.

I'll be surprised if we're going to hear much details about the injuries. And we shouldn't. HIPPA laws are pretty tough. People get fired, for example, for telling family/friends that someone was in their department getting lab work drawn/done. I just hope whatever injuries Evan and Chay have, they recover quickly and completely.

I would be surprised if we heard anything more on them, maybe the silver lining is that neither injury is as serious as first thought because Hak hasn't said either are season ending. If I recall correctly two years ago when Fabian hurt his knee it was stated that it was season ending. In 2005 when Brady Murray went down for the year at about this same point in the season I recall a line of Stafford-Zajac-Spirko carrying us to the title game, someone or some line will step up the only mystery at this point is who.