SiouxSports.com Forum

Is this the beginning of the end?

westsidesioux

So you think we should accept the NCAA sanctions? So basically your saying we don't have athletics anymore, or we are not able to participate in any NCAA sanctioned events. What do you want us to do join the NAIA?

The only thing the NCAA sanctions prevent is hosting a playoff game. For most sports that won't be an issue for the next 5 years or more. In hockey, we have hosted one regional in the past 20+ years and the NCAA is trying to get away from regionals being hosted on campus sites anyway. So there is really little to no impact for hockey.

The biggest issue may be that some hypocritical crap schools won't schedule us because of the name. So what? It is basically Minn and Wisc and the odds are that we wouldn't be playing them very much anyway regardless of our nickname.

If we (UND/state) want to retire the nickname then go ahead and say it and do it. Quit trying to use the tribes for cover on the issue. If we want to keep the name, then fight to keep it...by telling the tribes we will respect the vote of the entire membership we are giving them the final say...I have no problem with that.

And having the tribes take the blame hurts them how?
I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know that some tribal spokespersons have been particularly disinclined to have others "blame" the tribe.

See the article referenced in this post:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?sho...9502&st=227

And specifically, this quote:

"They've turned it so it's about Spirit Lake and Standing Rock and it's our fault and our issue.

It certainly doesn

The only thing the NCAA sanctions prevent is hosting a playoff game. For most sports that won't be an issue for the next 5 years or more. In hockey, we have hosted one regional in the past 20+ years and the NCAA is trying to get away from regionals being hosted on campus sites anyway. So there is really little to no impact for hockey.

The biggest issue may be that some hypocritical crap schools won't schedule us because of the name. So what? It is basically Minn and Wisc and the odds are that we wouldn't be playing them very much anyway regardless of our nickname.

If we (UND/state) want to retire the nickname then go ahead and say it and do it. Quit trying to use the tribes for cover on the issue. If we want to keep the name, then fight to keep it...by telling the tribes we will respect the vote of the entire membership we are giving them the final say...I have no problem with that.

It would impact the other sports. Football, Basketball, Swimming, etc. host home playoff games.

It would impact the other sports. Football, Basketball, Swimming, etc. host home playoff games.

No football playoffs for 5 years during the transition. Division I basketball would be part of March Madness, no home games because they play at tournament sites. Not sure if it would affect the NIT for the men now that it is owned by the NCAA. Shouldn't affect the womens NIT. I have no idea how it would affect swimming and diving. It would affect some of the less popular sports like soccer, but again not for 5 years because UND isn't eligible for the playoffs through the transition.

Let's say the Spirit Lake tribe allows every member to vote...and let's say they approve. Could we be The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux of Spirit Lake?

Of course no one would ever add on that latter part when talking about the Fighting Sioux, it would just be a formality.

Let's say the Spirit Lake tribe allows every member to vote...and let's say they approve. Could we be The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux of Spirit Lake?

Of course no one would ever add on that latter part when talking about the Fighting Sioux, it would just be a formality.

Big A HG - too bad those that are supposed to be representing the "Best Interests" of the Fighting Sioux don't look at your signature line and get some.....

Just change the name so we don't have to worry about future sanctions and nickname debate crap and protesters ever again!!! This is stupid the AG f'd up when he gave in to the NCAA (he will never get my vote ever). So just change the name the tribes are not going to approve it...EVER! So quit wasting time just come up with a bunch of names and let the students and the city of GF vote for the name i would say the state but that means the Rez has a say on the new name so thats why it should be the school and/or the city. This way we could host a regional in hockey and when the 5 years are up we could host a playoff game in BB and football. Imagine the ralph hosting a regional in basketball, that would rock!!! :D

EVER! So quit wasting time just come up with a bunch of names and would say the state but that means the Rez has a say on the new name so thats why it should be the school and/or the city. This way we could host a regional in hockey and when the 5 years are up we could host a playoff game in BB and football. Imagine the ralph hosting a regional in basketball, that would rock!!! :angry:

Why does the REZ get a choice on what UND's next name should be? There are like three - four reseravation in North Dakota. I think it should be the Students, Alumni and the board that decide the next name.

Why does the REZ get a choice on what UND's next name should be? There are like three - four reseravation in North Dakota. I think it should be the Students, Alumni and the board that decide the next name.

I would leave the board out of it just let the students and alumni vote.