SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Practice - 2008

SiouxMD

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Herald article on the start of spring ball.

When UND opens its fall camp in early August, a maximum of 90 players will be allowed to participate in drills leading up to the first season of Division I competition for the Sioux.

With the recently-signed high school recruits added to the mix, there will be 102 players on UND

I don't know if it's true or not, but moving to a different position in the spring doesn't make it permanent. I was moved to TE for a spring and very quickly moved back to my original position at the end of spring ball.

The spring game is a week from tomorrow. Until then, unless the Herald runs something I'm not sure there's much to report. I haven't heard anything.

What? No one's been to practice and can give a first-person update on who's looking good (and maybe who's not)?

Been a couple of injuries to report.

One potential starter in the DB's that will probably end his career.

One LB that would have played significant amount of time. Not known whether or not he will be able to play next year.

Been a couple of injuries to report.

One potential starter in the DB's that will probably end his career.

One LB that would have played significant amount of time. Not known whether or not he will be able to play next year.

That is really bad news!

You aren't able to give us names?

I think it would be wise to find someone else to punt. Not that I question Hellevang's ability to do both, I just don't like the idea of one guy doing both. Besides exposing the kicker to more snaps and therefore the potential for injury, I'd think that taking up punting again when he hasn't done it regularily could throw off his mechanics for place-kicking.

Wasn't going to just because I know how secretive the staff can be here, but....

Jordan and Bodoh.

This news makes the signing of Kenny Watkins even more significant, as I believe there was talk of not red-shirting him even before the news of Jordan's injury. Besides Otto, the Sioux will apparently be quite young at corner.

Based upon the spring game roster, it appears there may have been a number of departures since the fall. Specifically, I noticed that Troy Bryant, Mark Kubacki, Nick Bylin, Matt Simmons and John Carruth from last year's recruiting class were not listed on the roster. Also, Nick Safranski, Pete Hiltner, Brock Setness and Andrew Gudmunson apparently aren't returning, either.

Does anybody know the story with Keith and Kory Smith, a pair of 6'4" twin(?) receivers from Florida who are listed as seniors? Also, I'm not familiar with Nick Long, a tight end from Andover (MN).

Freund to Dressler Connection

Senior quarterback Danny Freund threw a pair of touchdown passes, including a picture-perfect 40-yard strike to sophomore Ryan Dressler, in today's Green-White spring game at the Alerus Center in front of an estimated 600 fans.

The controlled scrimmage simulated game situations and official stats were not kept.

Freund, a Kenosha, Wis., native who threw for more than 2,800 yards and 24 touchdowns in 2007, also connected with senior receiver Jake Caufield (Minot, N.D.) in the end zone on the opening possession of the scrimmage. The 40-yard hook up with Dressler, a Bismarck, N.D., native came in the second quarter.

Ryan stepping up. Nice. :D

Based upon the spring game roster, it appears there may have been a number of departures since the fall. Specifically, I noticed that Troy Bryant, Mark Kubacki, Nick Bylin, Matt Simmons and John Carruth from last year's recruiting class were not listed on the roster. Also, Nick Safranski, Pete Hiltner, Brock Setness and Andrew Gudmunson apparently aren't returning, either.

Does anybody know the story with Keith and Kory Smith, a pair of 6'4" twin(?) receivers from Florida who are listed as seniors? Also, I'm not familiar with Nick Long, a tight end from Andover (MN).

All I can tell you is that Troy wasn't able to make enough of a recovery from his injury to play football anymore. He is transferring to Berkeley at the end of this semester.

Oh, and Nick (Long) was the equipment manager last year.

Just a little teaser of football to (hopefully) help make the off season go by faster...

I think (not 100% sure) that the Smith brothers played with Mike Ebanks in junior college. I do know that they were here last year, but Coach Lennon told them he planned to wait until this spring to add them to the roster. It was nice to see them out there today, they are both really nice guys. And they are identical twins.

I thought Hellevang did a pretty good job in the two punts I saw. Hopefully that translates to game situations, too.

I was sitting fairly close to Weston and a bunch of other now former players. It had to be bittersweet for them, but it was fun to see #18 cheer for his brother after the touchdown, which by the way was a really nice pass from Freund.

I thought I read or heard from some of the coaches that they will have to trim the roster after spring, one of the not-so-great aspects of going FCS.

Is it August 28 yet?