SiouxSports.com Forum

Friday/Saturday NON sioux Game Discussions

AZSIOUX

The thread is called "non sioux game", but doesn't specify college, so I'm gonna post this here.

On the MN HS tournament right now, they showed a kid in the crowed (probably 12 years old or younger), wearing a t-shirt from the regional a few years back. UND, Mich, HC and Minn.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thread is called "non sioux game", but doesn't specify college, so I'm gonna post this here.

On the MN HS tournament right now, they showed a kid in the crowed (probably 12 years old or younger), wearing a t-shirt from the regional a few years back. UND, Mich, HC and Minn.

Only two years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday!

goldie.jpg

Through two periods HM is putting on a clinic on how to neutralize Ness - hit him every chance you get. Lee in goal for Roseau stopped guys in all alone on three separate chances in the second, or it could be worse than 3-0. However, I suspect if Roseau gets one it could get interesting.

We're comin baby!!!

Going to Mankato first round, hello Final Five!!

wow, counting your chickens before even stepping into mankato. you are right they suck :D the 7th seed is a dominant force to be reckoned with :D

wow, counting your chickens before even stepping into mankato. you are right they suck :D the 7th seed is a dominant force to be reckoned with :D

Just be happy you don't play the Goph's :D

The Gophers are playing much better hockey. I wouldn't be looking past anyone gopherz.

RW77 maybe the Gophers are playing better than the Sioux... :D

Just be happy you don't play the Goph's :D

The Gophers are playing much better hockey. I wouldn't be looking past anyone gopherz.

really? a win and a tie vs uaa and a win vs duluth but thats better huh. its good for the gophers without a doubt but did i mention anything regarding the sioux and gophers? i didnt say a thing about playing the gophers and if we should be worried or not so not sure what you mean by that as whoever a team plays they play. big deal. the gophers are scoring goals, now theres a concept, score goals and hold teams and you can win!! at least you arent saying mankato is awful :D btw..the gophers are still on the bubble so there is work left to be done as i know you are aware of that.

i hope you are kidding??? ive heard of maroon and pi$$ colored glasses, but even you must know how ridiculous that is??? we've got a 16 game unbeaten streak, and yours is at....

you do realize that in the last 16 games, the Sioux have 2 ties and 14 wins. The Gophers have 5 wins, 7 ties, and 4 losses. So the records are Sioux 14-0-2 and the Gophers are 5-4-7. Overall, the Gophers are 15-13-9 and the Sioux are 23-8-3.

Goalies: Lamoureux and Walski have given up have given up 20 goals in the last 16 games.

Kangas and Frazee have given up 34 goals in the last 16 games

sorry to bother you with the facts

i hope you are kidding??? ive heard of maroon and pi$$ colored glasses, but even you must know how ridiculous that is??? we've got a 16 game unbeaten streak, and yours is at....

they are alomost a 3rd of the way with 5 :D

just funny how gopher fans think they are unstoppable now with winning a few games after a pathetic couple months - ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY M :D

you do realize that in the last 16 games, the Sioux have 2 ties and 14 wins. The Gophers have 5 wins, 7 ties, and 4 losses. So the records are Sioux 14-0-2 and the Gophers are 5-4-7. Overall, the Gophers are 15-13-9 and the Sioux are 23-8-3.

Goalies: Lamoureux and Walski have given up have given up 20 goals in the last 16 games.

Kangas and Frazee have given up 34 goals in the last 16 games

sorry to bother you with the facts

frazee :D hes drunk during the games anyways but kangas is a very solid goalie. he is the reason the gophers didnt tumble to the bottom of the wcha standings. the frosh has played very well.

AZSioux laid it all out statistically, but let me put it this way:

You've won more than you lost in the last 16 games, sure, but how much of it is because of offensive performances? Truthfully, when you put up 4 goals on UMD I was stunned. UMD played VERY solidly last weekend against a flying Sioux team. With a Gopher team that has had suspect defense, inconsistent if not nearly nonexistant offense, and shaky goaltending (before Kangas took over full time), I thought UMD would make the Gophers sweat.

They didn't make the Gophers sweat in the slightest. I do not consider the Gophers to be in the same field as the Sioux this year. They usually are, but not this year.

So let me ask you this: IF it weren't for Kangas, what would your record be?

UND has witnessed JPL bail them out a number of times at various points of games throughout the season, but even so, they haven't relied upon him solely to keep UND in the game nearly as much as the Gophers have relied upon Kangas. Early in the season, we did and we lost a BUNCH of games because of it (I'd like to say that 5 or 6 of our 8 losses were because we were too reliant on JPL to bail the offense out of it).

If anything, WHeeler is getting a lot of the press for the GOphers, but really, Kangas is your player of the year because I DOUBT you'd be 5-4-7 without his stellar play. I wouldn't doubt it would be something like 3-10-3 without him.

The Gophers can be a dangerous team, but I don't think they are as solid defensively as UMD is. I would expect a different result tonight. Either a tie or a UMD win.

really? a win and a tie vs uaa and a win vs duluth but thats better huh. its good for the gophers without a doubt but did i mention anything regarding the sioux and gophers? i didnt say a thing about playing the gophers and if we should be worried or not so not sure what you mean by that as whoever a team plays they play. big deal. the gophers are scoring goals, now theres a concept, score goals and hold teams and you can win!! at least you arent saying mankato is awful :D btw..the gophers are still on the bubble so there is work left to be done as i know you are aware of that.

It was sarcasm :D

You did forget 3 from Wisco, that is 8 of 10 points after the off week. They are playing better. Check goals scored the same 3 week period....I am not worried about the NCAA tourney, that will take care of itself. I would much rather play the purple cows than SCSU.

You did forget 3 from Wisco, that is 8 of 10 points after the off week. They are playing better. Check goals scored the same 3 week period....I am not worried about the NCAA tourney, that will take care of itself. I would much rather play the purple cows than SCSU.

no doubt they are playing better. if it werent for kangas the season would be over by now especially if dough boy was still your goalie. kangas is solid and has ony had a few hicups. so the sioux winning tonight will have you play the landcows. that will be a tough one to pick

If i was a goofer fan i wouldn't like the prospect of going to the Alltel center to advance to the FFive. if the goofers don't make it to the X, will their fans still show up to root against the Sioux?

AZSioux laid it all out statistically, but let me put it this way:

You've won more than you lost in the last 16 games, sure, but how much of it is because of offensive performances? Truthfully, when you put up 4 goals on UMD I was stunned. UMD played VERY solidly last weekend against a flying Sioux team. With a Gopher team that has had suspect defense, inconsistent if not nearly nonexistant offense, and shaky goaltending (before Kangas took over full time), I thought UMD would make the Gophers sweat.

They didn't make the Gophers sweat in the slightest. I do not consider the Gophers to be in the same field as the Sioux this year. They usually are, but not this year.

So let me ask you this: IF it weren't for Kangas, what would your record be?

UND has witnessed JPL bail them out a number of times at various points of games throughout the season, but even so, they haven't relied upon him solely to keep UND in the game nearly as much as the Gophers have relied upon Kangas. Early in the season, we did and we lost a BUNCH of games because of it (I'd like to say that 5 or 6 of our 8 losses were because we were too reliant on JPL to bail the offense out of it).

If anything, WHeeler is getting a lot of the press for the GOphers, but really, Kangas is your player of the year because I DOUBT you'd be 5-4-7 without his stellar play. I wouldn't doubt it would be something like 3-10-3 without him.

The Gophers can be a dangerous team, but I don't think they are as solid defensively as UMD is. I would expect a different result tonight. Either a tie or a UMD win.

If not for JPL, what would yours be? All I am saying is Kangas has numbers (.925-2.09) that with an offense that has finally come around...They have a shot to make noise. Nothing more.

If not for JPL, what would yours be? All I am saying is Kangas has numbers (.925-2.09) that with an offense that has finally come around...They have a shot to make noise. Nothing more.

The noises minnesota will be making is the sqealing noises that come out of puffy when superstar puts him in a headlock. :D

If i was a goofer fan i wouldn't like the prospect of going to the Alltel center to advance to the FFive. if the goofers don't make it to the X, will their fans still show up to root against the Sioux?

You're not! I will be there to watch great college hockey.

as many have said kangas is solid. the sioux have a bit more firepower than the gophers. phil has been great, thats why hes a top 3 hobey candidate right now and his defense has been solid as well. kangas doesnt have the same D core so what he has done is nice numbers wise. he just doesnt have the wins when the gophs werent scoring for a couple months straight. you are right. there will be 10-12 teams that can make some noise but only 4-6 in my mind that can win it all. puck luck and hot goaltending will be key!

Hard to say where we'd be without JPL, but our backup came in and shut down the opposition (despite it being just Bemidji). Before JPL took over, we had JPar and Brandt. Though I wasn't the biggest fan of Brandt (he'd typically let at least one of the first 5 shots he faced into the back of the net) he did well for us.

The oddity is this year for the Sioux is that typically we're a rotation team. We have one goaltender in one night, the backup in the next. Therefore, over the past 10 years or so, I can say that our depth at the position, with the exception of one year (2001-2002) was very good.

But here lies the difference between typical Sioux teams and typical Gopher teams. Gophers gear their entire team towards offense. If the team has a bunch of high fliers and stick handlers (like in 2001-2003 with their back to back teams), they are fun to watch (even if it isn't satisfying to us Sioux fans). They take offense as the best form of defense and leave the leader in defensive stance to be goaltending and forechecking. UND does things a bit differently. We are a team of balance. We try to be a finesse team like the Gophers at times (often driving me nuts because it tends to turn into UND players trying to get too cute in the offensive zone), but our main cup of team is physical and stifling defense and a quick transition team. Team D is the name of the game for our team and our defensemen are expected to play defense first (with leeway to certain players who are capable of doing both without losing much skill in either zone such as Chay Genoway). We hit and hit hard. We don't back down from anyone. The Gophers have, since I've watched them, not been a physical team and tend to shy away from it (DeMarchi being perhaps the exception to the rule, though Vanelli and Peltier have tried to step into that role).

It's a gradient thing much like a lever that looks like a seesaw. The Gophers are on the side of Offense over Defense. UW is a team that is defense over offense (hence, one of the most boring teams in the WCHA to watch). UND is right in the middle. Other teams fall somewhere around in the spectrum depending upon the team they have that year. UAA, UMD, DU, and MTU tend to fall a bit to UW's side of the spectrum. CC and SCSU falls a bit towards UMN's side. MSUM seems to mimic UND's game the most, though they are often too physical and doesn't have quite the quality of players UND has.

Other years, it is different.

Of course, as usual, this is my opinion. Feel free to disagree if you wish. It won't bother me at all.