SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ GOPHERS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand, from a Gopher fan's perspective why you might feel that way. Here are a few reasons why I don't think you need to feel quite so hopeles:

1. In this rivalry it is very unusual for anyone to sweep. Yes, it has happened at the Ralph and at Mariucci, but it don't happen often. Those are exceptions. The safe bet is a split.

2. The Gophers outplayed the Sioux for much of the last series, though circumstances have changed some.

3. Gophers are at home.

4. Lucia has just started playing Kangas both nights. I expect that continues this weekend.

5. The Sioux have also played down a bit this season and though they have played better of late, it's been against the bottom 4 teams in the league.

6. Sioux played probably the worst game of their season this past Saturday, at home.

So it's a little hard from a Sioux fan's perspective to be overly confident of a sweep this weekend. Anything can happen, I think. I still think it will be up to the goaltenders.

Oh, I do not feel hopeless. I am not as bad as a Packer fan regarding optimisim, but it is never over til it's over. I am more shocked at the lack of boisturous optimism from the Sioux Camp.

When the rivalry heats up, I tend to see a lot of 7>5. Well this weekend 3>18. And I would guess our 18 is due to reputation, not this years squad. Our goalie situation is a mess, and our best goalie is a freshman. Although he was having a poor year, Okposo was a scoring force for us last year. Stoa went out earl, and Bariball has not had the same success as last year. Our D is OK, our offense is less than OK, and our poweplay is nearly nonexistant.

If I had Hak's job, I would make sure that the Sioux live up to their reputaion for physicality. (I am not even going the cheap route here.... :lol: ) But the reality is even if you spend twice as much time in the penalty box as the Maroon and Gold, you are not going to have to pay for it in goals.

If ever there was a weekend where your fanbase should be talking trash, this is it. And that is coming from an optimist, dangit!

Oh, I do not feel hopeless. I am not as bad as a Packer fan regarding optimisim, but it is never over til it's over. I am more shocked at the lack of boisturous optimism from the Sioux Camp.

When the rivalry heats up, I tend to see a lot of 7>5. Well this weekend 3>18. And I would guess our 18 is due to reputation, not this years squad. Our goalie situation is a mess, and our best goalie is a freshman. Although he was having a poor year, Okposo was a scoring force for us last year. Stoa went out earl, and Bariball has not had the same success as last year. Our D is OK, our offense is less than OK, and our poweplay is nearly nonexistant.

If I had Hak's job, I would make sure that the Sioux live up to their reputaion for physicality. (I am not even going the cheap route here.... :lol: ) But the reality is even if you spend twice as much time in the penalty box as the Maroon and Gold, you are not going to have to pay for it in goals.

If ever there was a weekend where your fanbase should be talking trash, this is it. And that is coming from an optimist, dangit!

That is because many in this forum still question which Sioux team will show up this weekend, the team that can crush the Gophers on their own big ice surface or the one that will struggle to get a split.

That is because many in this forum still question which Sioux team will show up this weekend, the team that can crush the Gophers on their own big ice surface or the one that will struggle to get a split.

There is also not enough smack talk...

That is because your typical cast of smack talking UMTC trolls have been extremely quiet this season. No explanation needed for their absence ;)

I think it also may be the fact that if Gopher fans post on here we are automatically called "jealous" of the Sioux because we post on another teams board, when in fact we just want to talk about the series of these two great rivals. :lol:

I think it also may be the fact that if Gopher fans post on here we are automatically called "jealous" of the Sioux because we post on another teams board, when in fact we just want to talk about the series of these two great rivals. :lol:

:D Nope that's not it.

When you come on someone else's forum to discuss hockey, generally, you're not subjected to abuse. When you come on to talk smack, that's what you get in return.

When you come on someone else's forum to discuss hockey, generally, you're not subjected to abuse. When you come on to talk smack, that's what you get in return.

I don't think its unreasonable to come to another fans message board and talk hockey, this isn't two waring factors. Coming to another fans board and having a hissy fit over a fan's opinion of something, hey people see things differently, is a little over the top and UNACCEPTABLE. I don't see a lot of the UMN fans doing that. I also think the debate over at USCHO is way too tame and the GPL one is almost enough to put someone to sleep. I miss the CIVIL in your face banter back and forth.

you are never considered that;) i love discussing all wcha teams but when there is a gopher thread here or stuff wit gopher news it gets called kessel.com blah blah blah, just like POI was zachparise.com right? i just like talking college hockey especially wcha.

so the only way kangas doesnt play saturday is if gives up a 5-6 spot im guessing and look bad? maybe solie saturday :0

you are never considered that;) i love discussing all wcha teams but when there is a gopher thread here or stuff wit gopher news it gets called kessel.com blah blah blah, just like POI was zachparise.com right? i just like talking college hockey especially wcha.

so the only way kangas doesnt play saturday is if gives up a 5-6 spot im guessing and look bad? maybe solie saturday :0

Wooger mentioned he thought it might be Frazee on Friday and Kangas on Saturday! Seems odd to me, Kangas has played pretty well, I just assume ride him out and see what he can do, obviously Frazee is having issues. If Frazee does start, shoot from anywhere prior to center ice and the Sioux fans should have a pretty pleasant weekend. :0

Wooger mentioned he thought it might be Frazee on Friday and Kangas on Saturday! Seems odd to me, Kangas has played pretty well, I just assume ride him out and see what he can do, obviously Frazee is having issues. If Frazee does start, shoot from anywhere prior to center ice and the Sioux fans should have a pretty pleasant weekend. :lol:

Why would Don come back with Jeff Frazee after his last couple of performances, unless he wants to get him back in the mix.

Why would Don come back with Jeff Frazee after his last couple of performances, unless he wants to get him back in the mix.

one last chance. if he stones the sioux for 2 goals which wont happen then hes back in maybe but i dont see anyone but kangas playing friday

Keep in mind this was Wooger that said it, so who knows....but Wooger is a great hockey mind. :D

Makes no sense to me either, if it did happen. Kangas for a frosh has been one cool cucumber in the net so far, does not seem to get rattled one bit, could have a bright future. Honestly I have given up on Frazee, given his recent play and some of his "off-ice" activities over the years I think a lot of people are about fed-up with him.

Keep in mind this was Wooger that said it, so who knows....but Wooger is a great hockey mind. :D

Makes no sense to me either, if it did happen. Kangas for a frosh has been one cool cucumber in the net so far, does not seem to get rattled one bit, could have a bright future. Honestly I have given up on Frazee, given his recent play and some of his "off-ice" activities over the years I think a lot of people are about fed-up with him.

So do the Gophers throw Jeff into the Mississippi or do they try to live with him. Remember when Goofer fans were accussing Blaiser of throwing Goalies into the RED RIVER? If they keep him around they are stuck with him for another year. Frazee isn't going to be that great of a pickup for the Professional ranks. I don't see him Bumping anyone out of the AHL team for New Jersey.

There are certainly some that come here to flame but there are some who have legitimate comments who are treated as if they are flaming. I'd prefer we treat each according to their actual posts rather than lump them all together.

So do the Gophers throw Jeff into the Mississippi or do they try to live with him. Remember when Goofer fans were accussing Blaiser of throwing Goalies into the RED RIVER? If they keep him around they are stuck with him for another year. Frazee isn't going to be that great of a pickup for the Professional ranks. I don't see him Bumping anyone out of the AHL team for New Jersey.

That is a darn good question. A couple tough weekends ahead for the Gophers so it is hard to say. I think not dressing him two Fridays ago in Duluth should have sent a big message to him. I honestly think Kangas will get the knod both nights this weekend, if he does have a bad game Friday then maybe tDon does give Frazee a shot on Saturday, would doubt Solie would make an appearance. I think of the players as well, I mean how must they feel when their "star" goalie (Frazee_ lets in those type of goals, I would not feel real comfortable playing in front of him.