SiouxSports.com Forum

BEYOND THE POND with Puffy

Oxbow6

I like how Puffy had to sit on TV tonight and talk about the game and still didnt think the Sioux were that great! Granted they didnt play very great the first half of the game but diffently stepped it up in the 2nd half and then wanted it more in OT!

You must have listened to a different version than I did. The Sioux didn't play that great until OT. However, Jeff said that from the start of the 2nd period, the Sioux started taking over the game little by little until the end. IMO, that was an honest assessment of their performance tonight.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This cracks me up. siouxkid12 chastises me because I 'bad mouth' Woog beacause Woog is nice to the Sioux. Now these posts! ???:angry:

when did i say you had a bad mouth? or did i simply state that Woog was simply saying how hard a shot Trupp made and that he probably wouldnt be able to do it again. I believe it was someone else who chastized you!

when did i say you had a bad mouth? or did i simply state that Woog was simply saying how hard a shot Trupp made and that he probably wouldnt be able to do it again. I believe it was someone else who chastized you!

??? I apologise. It was jk or jp or j?. Sorry.

Hey guys Puffy is on right now and trying to say that R.J. Anderson didn't try to knee T.J. Oshie.

Apparently Zajca deserved to suspended for more games. Have people not see the attempt by R.J.?

Does the Carmen cross-checking of TJ Oshie not count as well? These guys are definitely making themselves look bad at least to people with open minds.

Does the Carmen cross-checking of TJ Oshie not count as well? These guys are definitely making themselves look bad at least to people with open minds.

Or Peltier feeding a much smaller player rights and lefts. That was true class as well.

I really thought Radke and Peltier were going to go Saturday night. There was jawing in the penalty box.

He is a radio personality in Minnesota-you are fans of another team. You are not going to agree with his opinion on your team, or his on my favorite team or his on most things because of your difference on UND. Most of you can't stand his opinion yet, you listen...... You have an opinion and he does, you are not going to agree when looking through green or maroon colored glasses. It's not going to happen. Unless he says you are the best team in hockey and your team is all saints and Minnesota is not, you wont be happy. He is not going to, get over it.

How people can have such a difference of opinion on something with video is beyond me and a great display of social differences. I think it's in the middle of both homer sides. Neither team was without fault and calls could have gone either way on many things. We all won't agree, ever. As you all know you have open minds and we dont.... :):D I dont agree with everything he says either.

He is a radio personality in Minnesota-you are fans of another team. You are not going to agree with his opinion on your team, or his on my favorite team or his on most things because of your difference on UND. Most of you can't stand his opinion yet, you listen...... You have an opinion and he does, you are not going to agree when looking through green or maroon colored glasses. It's not going to happen. Unless he says you are the best team in hockey and your team is all saints and Minnesota is not, you wont be happy. He is not going to, get over it.

How people can have such a difference of opinion on something with video is beyond me and a great display of social differences. I think it's in the middle of both homer sides. Neither team was without fault and calls could have gone either way on many things. We all won't agree, ever. As you all know you have open minds and we dont.... :):D I dont agree with everything he says either.

I agree with regards to Puffy. He's just building listenership by saying stupid things that homers and rube for the Gophers will agree with or dismiss easily but will succeed in riling up fans of other teams. It's the same way with Forum idiot McFeely.

What gets me, though I largely stay out of it, is the overall feeling that the Gophers weren't at fault or even "less wrong" than the Sioux when Lucia, Peltier, and Carman had their moments that most were overlooked (Lucia's being the sole exception) while UND's Zajac and Finley are wrung through the ringer. Oh, I agree Finley and Zajac acted rather embarrasingly for the Sioux. RJ's attempt was just that, an attempt. Zajac's role was unnecessary. I don't know what Wheeler said to Finley in the handshake line, but all Joe had to say is "Good game. Say what you will but we took more points from you than you did from us." Point at the scoreboard, and skate away.

I'm still surprised Finley didn't get anything against him by the WCHA or NCAA.

But I am surprised that Peltier got away with punching Trupp 3 or 4 times to the head while Trupp was down and his arms pinned so he couldn't even block the punches and got off with a two minute minor.

If UND gooned it up, then surely so did UMN. I guess the only difference would be that Peltier decided to cheap shot Trupp to his face whereas Zajac didn't wait for RJ to turn around.

If I were Shepherd, I'd take these actions:

1. Zajac gets a 1 game suspension for his cross check to the back (plus the game DQ for fighting)

2. Peltier gets a 1 game suspension for fighting or excessive contact to the head after the whistle (this may not be a rule I'm citing, but he was punching a guy to the facemask. That's a no no period.)

3. Lucia gets a 1 game suspension for fighting.

4. Don Adam is no longer allowed to officiate major rivalry games (UMN vs UW, UMN vs. UND, CC vs. DU).

5. B. Shepherd gets a one weekend suspension without pay for grabbing Malone by the facemask (HAHAHAHA! Like Daddy could suspend sonnyboy)

You are missing the point. I have absolutely no problem with announcers who are also fans such as Doug Woog or even Anthony LaPanta. Yes, Woog bleeds maroon and gold, but he is also very knowledgeable and is usually objective. Dubay has gotten better, but he is still a fan first (homer is more fitting) and his hockey knowledge, though improving, is certainly not to the level of Woog, Nanne, etc. I appreciate the fact that Dubay talks about college hockey, but his lack of objectivity is at times laughable. It remains to be seen if he will continue to develop into an objective journalist or will become another Sid Hartman (not intended to be complimentary). Kevin Gorg is even worse. He is such a Twin Cities homer that it is pathetic, whether it involves the Gophers or HS hockey.

As far as what happened, you are correct that a number of different calls could have been made at the Sioux-Gophers game on Saturday, but I am getting a little tired of the apologists and Gopher Halo wearers regarding Peltier. It is always the alleged thuggery of the Sioux that starts everything in every Gopher fans' eyes, but I was at the game and the assault by Peltier on Trupp was right in front of me. That, in my opinion, is why the game got out of control. Don Adam, as is typical, did not control the game starting with that cheap shot. No amount of spin can convince me that was not a cheap shot by Peltier. Peltier is fortunate that this Sioux team does not have Mike Prpich or Matt Greene.

Your one hundred percent right

You can dislike Puffy all you want, but let's not throw out insults we can't take back. Comparing him to Grandpa Sports is a bit mean. :)

Puffy admits the Gophers suck this year. Grandpa Sports on the other hand, if he actually had the faintest clue about hockey, would still think the Gophers should be a favorite to win the national championship.

I dont agree with everything he says either.

Just today Dubay and his guest said how the Islanders don't score a lot of goals and played a boring style of hockey., which works towards Minnesota's advantage.

I basically said "WHAT?!?!" Because, as we all know, that's exactly Minnesota's game style. Minnesota reminds me a LOT of the DU and UW National Championship teams. They sometimes get scoring, but they are mostly drag the game through the mud boring hockey games that rely on mistakes by the other team for scoring rather than creating offense. So, Minnesota will be playing a Minnesota clone tonight. However, I'd say that defensively, Minnesota is better than the Isles so I'd be very surprised if the Wild didn't win tonight.

By the way, there is talk that the Mild want to get Sundin. However, they may trade Rolston or Demitra for him. Now, why trade a goal scorer for a goal scorer? Why not trade something your minors have a plethora of, such as role players and 3rd line grinders or perhaps defensemen, and get scoring help? Well, ok ok, I know about the free agency thing, but gosh... Sundin might actually add credibility to the second line rather than just Gaborik and then a drop off.

4. Don Adam is no longer allowed to officiate major rivalry games (UMN vs UW, UMN vs. UND, CC vs. DU).

I was wondering how we can enact this one. :) I am sure a lot of fans would love to see Adam done with Randy Schmidt.

Just today Dubay and his guest said how the Islanders don't score a lot of goals and played a boring style of hockey., which works towards Minnesota's advantage.

I basically said "WHAT?!?!" Because, as we all know, that's exactly Minnesota's game style. Minnesota reminds me a LOT of the DU and UW National Championship teams. They sometimes get scoring, but they are mostly drag the game through the mud boring hockey games that rely on mistakes by the other team for scoring rather than creating offense. So, Minnesota will be playing a Minnesota clone tonight. However, I'd say that defensively, Minnesota is better than the Isles so I'd be very surprised if the Wild didn't win tonight.

By the way, there is talk that the Mild want to get Sundin. However, they may trade Rolston or Demitra for him. Now, why trade a goal scorer for a goal scorer? Why not trade something your minors have a plethora of, such as role players and 3rd line grinders or perhaps defensemen, and get scoring help? Well, ok ok, I know about the free agency thing, but gosh... Sundin might actually add credibility to the second line rather than just Gaborik and then a drop off.

Redwing_77 I do see the genius in your posts from time to time but to compare the WILD to Wisconsin and DU is kind of a stretch, I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit as well, the WILD are way more exciting to watch. Also I don't see the WILD getting Matts Sundin or Forsburg or any big name free agents at the TRADING DEAD LINE.

You can dislike Puffy all you want, but let's not throw out insults we can't take back. Comparing him to Grandpa Sports is a bit mean. :D

Puffy admits the Gophers suck this year. Grandpa Sports on the other hand, if he actually had the faintest clue about hockey, would still think the Gophers should be a favorite to win the national championship.

Dirty, you're right. Comparing Happy...er, I meant Dubay to Sid was perhaps a bit over the top. :)

You are missing the point. I have absolutely no problem with announcers who are also fans such as Doug Woog or even Anthony LaPanta. Yes, Woog bleeds maroon and gold, but he is also very knowledgeable and is usually objective. Dubay has gotten better, but he is still a fan first (homer is more fitting) and his hockey knowledge, though improving, is certainly not to the level of Woog, Nanne, etc. I appreciate the fact that Dubay talks about college hockey, but his lack of objectivity is at times laughable. It remains to be seen if he will continue to develop into an objective journalist or will become another Sid Hartman (not intended to be complimentary). Kevin Gorg is even worse. He is such a Twin Cities homer that it is pathetic, whether it involves the Gophers or HS hockey.

As far as what happened, you are correct that a number of different calls could have been made at the Sioux-Gophers game on Saturday, but I am getting a little tired of the apologists and Gopher Halo wearers regarding Peltier. It is always the alleged thuggery of the Sioux that starts everything in every Gopher fans' eyes, but I was at the game and the assault by Peltier on Trupp was right in front of me. That, in my opinion, is why the game got out of control. Don Adam, as is typical, did not control the game starting with that cheap shot. No amount of spin can convince me that was not a cheap shot by Peltier. Peltier is fortunate that this Sioux team does not have Mike Prpich or Matt Greene.

You are correct, Peltier can't hold a candle to Prpich for cheap play. I am not going to defend Peltier for beating on Trupp, I do question the "halo" UND appears to wear in that regard. You proved my exact point, if it was Prpich hitting someone like Barriball, its tough Sioux hockey, Peltier does it and its assault. :D I don't condone punching someone on there back whatever the sweater colors and think Peltiers smallish 2 minutes was a bad call. I also feel if it wasn't such a one sided attack, Malone should have recieved more attention from the officials for 3rd in. Adam had no control over the game and niether team liked the result.

Did not listen to Puff today, but again I think if you are going to portray yourself as an "analyst", be some what credible with your "analysis". If you want to be a rube, fine. But don't try to come across from both angles within the same radio or TV segment. Someone referenced this earlier, but McFeely of the Forum tends to fit the same mold--"journalist" and rube. And anyone who reads the Forum knows he is not the most credible.

I agree with regards to Puffy. He's just building listenership by saying stupid things that homers and rube for the Gophers will agree with or dismiss easily but will succeed in riling up fans of other teams. It's the same way with Forum idiot McFeely.

What gets me, though I largely stay out of it, is the overall feeling that the Gophers weren't at fault or even "less wrong" than the Sioux when Lucia, Peltier, and Carman had their moments that most were overlooked (Lucia's being the sole exception) while UND's Zajac and Finley are wrung through the ringer. Oh, I agree Finley and Zajac acted rather embarrasingly for the Sioux. RJ's attempt was just that, an attempt. Zajac's role was unnecessary. I don't know what Wheeler said to Finley in the handshake line, but all Joe had to say is "Good game. Say what you will but we took more points from you than you did from us." Point at the scoreboard, and skate away.

I'm still surprised Finley didn't get anything against him by the WCHA or NCAA.

But I am surprised that Peltier got away with punching Trupp 3 or 4 times to the head while Trupp was down and his arms pinned so he couldn't even block the punches and got off with a two minute minor.

If UND gooned it up, then surely so did UMN. I guess the only difference would be that Peltier decided to cheap shot Trupp to his face whereas Zajac didn't wait for RJ to turn around.

If I were Shepherd, I'd take these actions:

1. Zajac gets a 1 game suspension for his cross check to the back (plus the game DQ for fighting)

2. Peltier gets a 1 game suspension for fighting or excessive contact to the head after the whistle (this may not be a rule I'm citing, but he was punching a guy to the facemask. That's a no no period.)

3. Lucia gets a 1 game suspension for fighting.

5. B. Shepherd gets a one weekend suspension without pay for grabbing Malone by the facemask (HAHAHAHA! Like Daddy could suspend sonnyboy)

I agree.

You are correct, Peltier can't hold a candle to Prpich for cheap play. I am not going to defend Peltier for beating on Trupp, I do question the "halo" UND appears to wear in that regard. You proved my exact point, if it was Prpich hitting someone like Barriball, its tough Sioux hockey, Peltier does it and its assault. :D I don't condone punching someone on there back whatever the sweater colors and think Peltiers smallish 2 minutes was a bad call. I also feel if it wasn't such a one sided attack, Malone should have recieved more attention from the officials for 3rd in. Adam had no control over the game and niether team liked the result.

It may be true that Prpich was a hack, but when did you ever see him give someone Trupp or barribal's size a beat down? When did you ever see him back down from someone, even if he was bigger? I respect him alot more than I respect "I'm going to stand behind my coach and run my mouth off, but not really going to do anything about it" bikle.

It may be true that Prpich was a hack, but when did you ever see him give someone Trupp or barribal's size a beat down? When did you ever see him back down from someone, even if he was bigger? I respect him alot more than I respect "I'm going to stand behind my coach and run my mouth off, but not really going to do anything about it" bikle.

Prpich didn't go after the small guys he got in the face of the big boys like Geoff Punkabitch.

You are correct, Peltier can't hold a candle to Prpich for cheap play. I am not going to defend Peltier for beating on Trupp, I do question the "halo" UND appears to wear in that regard. You proved my exact point, if it was Prpich hitting someone like Barriball, its tough Sioux hockey, Peltier does it and its assault. :lol: I don't condone punching someone on there back whatever the sweater colors and think Peltiers smallish 2 minutes was a bad call. I also feel if it wasn't such a one sided attack, Malone should have recieved more attention from the officials for 3rd in. Adam had no control over the game and niether team liked the result.

This "halo" garbage is beyond old. :) I have an idea where you can stick your "halo". :D

Regarding Puffy, who cares? The game was a week ago, and the Gophers have now played a different opponent since then. Maybe it is time to move on. Just a thought. :lol: He's a dope for still talking about it. And for getting us to discuss it more, he's a genius. :lol: