SiouxSports.com Forum

Serge gambucci

gfhockey

My favorite time of year was when it was time to go get skates at Colborn's and Serge would get you fit into the proper skate. More than that he would take the time to find out how hockey was going and give pointers on how to improve. He will be missed but never forgotten. Prayers to his family and friends.

When I saw the headline in the paper today, I instantly had a heavy heart. Serge was a great guy. I had him as a gym teacher as a sophomore and always looked forward to being around him. He had a great sense of humor and was one of the classiest guys you would ever meet. Condolences to his family. Godspeed, Serge!

It was Gambucci who coached Grand Forks Central teams that won the first 10 North Dakota boy state high school hockey tournaments. That streak started in 1961. He retired after the 1970 season, which concluded with an 11-0 win against Fargo North in the state championship, a game in which Dennis Johnson set a championship-game record with six goals that still stands.Gambucci’s Central teams won 258 and lost only 38 in his 15 seasons as hockey coach. He was 10-0 in state hockey championship games.

http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/23857/

That is an incredible coaching record. I wonder if UND ever thought about giving him a job before Gino.

My Serge story:

My high school team is playing GF Central at the state high school tournament the next day, and we're sitting in the Italian Moon having lunch after our practice at the Old REA (back when teams got to go a day early and have a practice). I'm wearing a Sioux jersey and this old guy walks up to me and says he's cheering for Central the next day (obviously), but wanted to wish me the best of luck in our game the next day.

I had heard his name before, but never had met him. Nice guy, great heart. RIP Mr. Gambucci.

I've posted and deleted a couple times...Serge was EVERYTHING a coach should be and then some. His accolades are based on results, what it doesn't say is that he was a fan of the kids...he wanted us all to dream big and accomplish those dreams. I loved it when he would substitute teach and give us athletes a hard time- with only the best intentions. He made an impact on my life- what a great legacy- on the ice, but more importantly off it...with all of us that he made better people.

• Upvote 3

Serge was an incredible man, what he instilled in people was tremendous..... He will be missed! Some of his stories were incredible.... My favorite quote from him was in response to the question "why did you stop playing hockey?"... He replied: "cause I slowed down to a blur!"

• 1 year later...