SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2011

gfhockey

3rd round pick...if he goes pro, he goes to the AHL...why bother...play college one more year, then go to the AHL

BTW...love JG...ridiculous two-way forward...could play in the NHL one day...having a 30 goal, 50 point 2012 would help...

let's be honest. He's one of the best all around forwards in the league and he's a junior. He's great on the wall and has a knack to score around the net. That's exactly what pro teams want. The Isles don't want to risk losing him to FA by letting him go to his senior season. I think he's ready IMHO. Hope he stays but .....

let's be honest. He's one of the best all around forwards in the league and he's a junior. He's great on the wall and has a knack to score around the net. That's exactly what pro teams want. The Isles don't want to risk losing him to FA by letting him go to his senior season. I think he's ready IMHO. Hope he stays but .....

It's not quite that black and white regarding Free Agency.

If Gregoire stays his senior year, he'll still be property of the Isles until August (IIRC) following his senior year. I may not be correct with the month but I'm VERY certain that the Isles, in this case, would retain the rights to Gregoire until after Gregoire would graduate.

It's not quite that black and white regarding Free Agency.

If Gregoire stays his senior year, he'll still be property of the Isles until August (IIRC) following his senior year. I may not be correct with the month but I'm VERY certain that the Isles, in this case, would retain the rights to Gregoire until after Gregoire would graduate.

You are correct but I just don't see the Isles waiting another year. Hope I'm wrong. In fact, talked to his dad in St Clown and my intro was "One More Year, One More Year!!!!!!!!" ;)

• Upvote 1

Isles do not risk losing him.

I think JG is a great two-way forward, but name the last non-first round pick to leave the SIoux early...Chorney....he's been in the minors mostly,,,now name a non first or second round pick to leave early...hmmm....I can't think of one either.

If you're not a first rounder, you'll play in the minors. Guaranteed.

Well, I heard on KFAN that the Panthers aren't pleased with his development because at times they didn't like that he wasn't used in his natural position, the center position and they put him on the wing for a while. But... I think he was back at center towards the end? Maybe a Gopher fan can verify this. THere was a prospect article apparently where they commented on this. I think that's why they aren't happy with his development at the U. But I think he'll stick around because he has the opportunity to play an increased role next year for the Gophers at center and I'm sure the Panthers would like to see how he does with more responsibilities. Again, I don't watch the Gophers enough to know how much playing time and responsiblities he had.

If you listen to the second hour of Beyond the Pond (KFAN), they talk about the Panthers not being happy that he was playing out of position/development.

now name a non first or second round pick to leave early...hmmm....I can't think of one either.

Ahhh Haaaaa! These guys had decent pro careers. ;)

Troy Murray

17 Years NHL

Center

Born Jul 31 1962 -- Calgary, ALTA

Height 6.01 -- Weight 195 -- Shoots R

Selected by Chicago Blackhawks round 3 #57 overall 1980 NHL Entry Draft

Regular Season Playoffs Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

1977-78 St. Albert Saints AJHL 5 0 2 2 0

1979-80 Lethbridge Broncos WHL 2 1 1 2 2 -- -- -- -- --

1980-81 U. of North Dakota WCHA 38 33 45 78 28

1981-82 U. of North Dakota WCHA 42 22 29 51 62

1981-82 Chicago Blackhawks NHL -- -- -- -- -- 7 1 0 1 5

1982-83 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 54 8 8 16 27 2 0 0 0 0

Craig Ludwig

17 Years NHL

Defense

Born Mar 15 1961 -- Rhinelander, WI

Height 6.03 -- Weight 210

Selected by Montreal Canadiens round 3 #61 overall 1980 NHL Entry Draft

1979-80 U. of North Dakota WCHA 33 1 8 9 32

1980-81 U. of North Dakota WCHA 34 4 8 12 48

1981-82 U. of North Dakota WCHA 47 5 26 31 70

1982-83 Montreal Canadiens NHL 80 0 25 25 59 3 0 0 0 2

When Gregoire went out with an injury, I said that missing time might be the only thing that keeps him around for his senior season. I was thinking that he wouldn't put up gaudy numbers and the Islanders might not be convinced that he was 100%.

In the mixed blessing department, he only missed 7 games and he's been on a tear since his return (18 goals and 10 assists in 16 games), blowing my theory out of the water. I've got it at 50/50 that he'll be back next year.

Luckily, we can still talk about this season... 6 more wins!

Dave

Crazy stat department: Jason Gregoire (#17) now has 17 assists in each of his three seasons at UND.

Ness will never play a day in the NHL...simply not good enough. Great skater...lacks the physical tools to be an NHL defenseman, pure and simple.

There are a lot of people that said the same thing about Brian Lee. I know cause I was one of them.

Ahhh Haaaaa! These guys had decent pro careers. ;)

Troy Murray

17 Years NHL

Center

Born Jul 31 1962 -- Calgary, ALTA

Height 6.01 -- Weight 195 -- Shoots R

Selected by Chicago Blackhawks round 3 #57 overall 1980 NHL Entry Draft

1977-78 St. Albert Saints AJHL 5 0 2 2 0

1979-80 Lethbridge Broncos WHL 2 1 1 2 2 -- -- -- -- --

1980-81 U. of North Dakota WCHA 38 33 45 78 28

1981-82 U. of North Dakota WCHA 42 22 29 51 62

1981-82 Chicago Blackhawks NHL -- -- -- -- -- 7 1 0 1 5

1982-83 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 54 8 8 16 27 2 0 0 0 0

Craig Ludwig

17 Years NHL

Defense

Born Mar 15 1961 -- Rhinelander, WI

Height 6.03 -- Weight 210

Selected by Montreal Canadiens round 3 #61 overall 1980 NHL Entry Draft

1979-80 U. of North Dakota WCHA 33 1 8 9 32

1980-81 U. of North Dakota WCHA 34 4 8 12 48

1981-82 U. of North Dakota WCHA 47 5 26 31 70

1982-83 Montreal Canadiens NHL 80 0 25 25 59 3 0 0 0 2

Different league now...much more depth.

I should rephrase to say name a non-first rounder in the last 10 years...

Non-first or second rounders who have gone directly to the NHL within the last ten years (so drafted 2001 to 2010):

Patrick Sharp played 3 games out of Vermont before inevitably being demoted to the minors, would that count?

Christian Ehrloff played 41 games before first game in minors (or does DEL and German OBL count?) - 4th rounder

Jordin Tootoo played 71 games out of Major Juniors - 4th rounder

Or do you mean just collegiate players?

Adam Burish (UW) played 9 games in the NHL before playing his first AHL game - 9th rounder

Lee Stempniak (Dartmouth) played 51 games in the NHL before playing his first AHL game - 5th rounder

Mike Lundin (Maine) played over 100 games in the NHL before seeing the AHL. He got sent down 21 games into his sophomore NHL year. He was a 4th rounder

These are just 2001 - 2004 drafted players. But I see the point... Not many went straight to the NHL and stuck (none I listed did) but there are a lot who played at least 1 NHL game before playing in the minors.