SiouxSports.com Forum

Tourney Teams

the green team

Unbelievable, you can watch the Women's NCAA tournament and Ball St. , the team the Sioux took to overtime in Muncie, Indiana, has just beaten- granted a young- but still a Tennessee Lady Vols team (this is the 1st ever- 1st rd loss in their tournament history). Wisconsin- GreenBay hung with LSU, Iowa State who hammered us-hammered their opening round opponent and even though we haven't played them for a few years, old NCC foe SDSU- won going away over TCU. The Sioux have a ways to go, especially with the 2 players we lost. But it's been interesting to see how these teams do.

The worst part was that they led by double digits around 10 minutes in(21-8), and then the refs decided to take control of the game and got 4 Jacks in foul trouble in just a couple minutes. It was horrible to listen to. Apparently the only thing worse than Summit refs are NCAA women's tourney refs. I feel horrible for the Jack women and AJ. Baylor played a great second half(so did the Jacks), but the calls in the first is what kept Baylor in it and didn't turn the game into a repeat of SDSU/TCU.

The worst part was that they led by double digits around 10 minutes in(21-8), and then the refs decided to take control of the game and got 4 Jacks in foul trouble in just a couple minutes. It was horrible to listen to. Apparently the only thing worse than Summit refs are NCAA women's tourney refs. I feel horrible for the Jack women and AJ. Baylor played a great second half(so did the Jacks), but the calls in the first is what kept Baylor in it and didn't turn the game into a repeat of SDSU/TCU.

Where I was at, they only showed the last 1:38 or so of the game....I think the coverage and commentators get so biased with the usual powerhouses that I can only imagine sometimes reffing does too. They should be very proud, but it was very hard to find much on them on tv..You'd think after tying the record for 16 3's in a game along with ISU, they would have gotten a little more love...or maybe i just missed it. Yet they will show almost an entire UConn blowout. Boring! Didn't have the opportunity to see much of the Ball State game either. It looked on the score ticker that they hung pretty well for a while than must have faded.

Very impressive for both Ball State and especially the Jacks.

Mankato wins the championship. NSIC having a good year in sports this year. Football, womens basketball and i think volleyball championships this year.

Seems there are some parallels between Mankato's women's basketball team and UMD's football team. Both were essentially middle-of-the-road NCC teams last year (although Mankato did manage to sneak into the regional and surprisingly advance all the way to the title game) who returned essentially their entire teams. I suspect UND and Mankato would have probably split had they played a home-and-home this year.

Seems there are some parallels between Mankato's women's basketball team and UMD's football team. Both were essentially middle-of-the-road NCC teams last year (although Mankato did manage to sneak into the regional and surprisingly advance all the way to the title game) who returned essentially their entire teams. I suspect UND and Mankato would have probably split had they played a home-and-home this year.

I don't think so, when was the las ttime the sioux lost to MSU. They would not have even won the NCC.

I don't think so, when was the las ttime the sioux lost to MSU. They would not have even won the NCC.

I guess I look at Mankato possibly in a similar light to USD from 2007-08--a team who historically struggled against UND but who returned their whole team and exceeded all realistic expectations. I strongly suspect UND would have won in GF, but winning in Mankato may have been tough. Hard to say for sure.

I watched a lot of the Mankato championship game- good for them, but had the Sioux been DII this year, I don't like the way Mankato would have matched up with the Sioux. I think the Sioux would have gotten after this team. That was the big problem for the Mavericks the last couple of years. Even the announcers alluded to the fact that the region was now devoid of UND, NDSU, USD, and SDSU.

Always liked Heather Johnson from Mankato- Congrats...I kind of miss playing for championships.

I watched a lot of the Mankato championship game- good for them, but had the Sioux been DII this year, I don't like the way Mankato would have matched up with the Sioux. I think the Sioux would have gotten after this team. That was the big problem for the Mavericks the last couple of years. Even the announcers alluded to the fact that the region was now devoid of UND, NDSU, USD, and SDSU.

Always liked Heather Johnson from Mankato- Congrats...I kind of miss playing for championships.

I thought Mankato played an awfully similar style to that Florida team we didn't match up with in the Elite 8 a couple years ago. I know they would have struggled to guard our bigs but, man, could they spread teams out and shoot the 3!! We would have struggled with those matchups for sure.