SiouxSports.com Forum

Canadian Schools in NCAA

bigsioux21

It was approved last week to allow Canadian Schools into the NCAA. There were a total of six schools wanting in (all wanting to play hockey). Four have publicly said they want to and two haven't, my guess of the other two is below. What are your feelings?

The schools are:

(1) St. Clair College

(2) University of British Columbia

(3) Univeristy of Alberta

(4) Simon Fraser University

(5) University of Manitoba (maybe)

(6) Univeristy of Saskatchewan (maybe)

I think this is disappointing in a sense that it has the potential of losing some of the good recruits that would have come to a U.S. school. It just adds a bigger sense of rivalry where a US kid might be looked at as a traitor for going to a Canadian school and vice versa. I know Canadian kids come here already, but that's because there isn't the option of getting both a career education along with developing as a hockey player in Canada. Now that there is that option, are they going to feel obligated going to a Canadian school?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Maybe more teams are good for the NCAA but this is bad news for the WCHA plain and simple. The schools that are accepted are going to require a big personnel change quickly due to the number of ineligible players that are in their current lineups. They will now be capable of offering the same type of scholarships so guess where the current and upcoming talent from the Western Tier II Junior leagues will wind up.

I think this is disappointing in a sense that it has the potential of losing some of the good recruits that would have come to a U.S. school. It just adds a bigger sense of rivalry where a US kid might be looked at as a traitor for going to a Canadian school and vice versa. I know Canadian kids come here already, but that's because there isn't the option of getting both a career education along with developing as a hockey player in Canada. Now that there is that option, are they going to feel obligated going to a Canadian school?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

I don't know if we are going to lose as many as people think. Unless they start getting the facilities like UND has.

The history and the tradition will still work for UND and there are so many players in the USA and Canada that it should even it self out.

I don't see it being a bad thing. We do need more division one schools.

Would it create more interest in college hockey up in Canadia and paradoxically make it easier to recruit players to play in the US. (We need more 24 year old Canadians, eh.)

I agree so we can listen to Happy complain after our team kicked his teams butt again using those 24 year old Canadians from Moose Jaw. :glare::lol:

I'm a bit wary of this whole deal, but perhaps they should put them all in the CHA and voila. Two problems solved.

And, yes, the ineligible players on their roster will be sizable.

Also, as of this time, there are few that can actually compete with DI. UAlberta has fielded some pretty good teams recently.

I am not sure how much of an impact this will have on the bigger DI hockey schools (UND, BC, Minnesota, Michigan, etc.) because their programs and facilities tend to speak for themselves. The major losers in this case are the smaller programs like Mankato, BSU, MTU, UAF, UAA, and so on because many Canadian prospects that they'd normally be able to snatch up (including some NHL draftees) will opt for the Canadian schools rather than some out of the way place (even though I don't feel that Mankato is that terribly out of the way). So, yeah, if I were Shyiak, I'd be very disappointed in this.

This won't really affect UND, UMN, or UW that much.

UBC is going to come in and want to play in the WCHA, why wouldn't they?

Also, the Canadian's if they get accepted to Division one hockey will have to have the same rules as the US schools.

I could see schools like Minnesota really pitching a fit in this situation.

UBC is going to come in and want to play in the WCHA, why wouldn't they?

Also, the Canadian's if they get accepted to Division one hockey will have to have the same rules as the US schools.

I could see schools like Minnesota really pitching a fit in this situation.

That's great, Lucia's girdle is already too tight for his health.

If Manitoba comes in, they'd want to be in the WCHA as well as they're close geographically to Grand Forks.

I say screw it all. If we're not going to allow a 12 team WCHA (which I'm ok with), then we should put all of these Canadian teams into the CHA. This gives the CHA new life, the Canadian teams may already have rivalries in place they won't have to give up, the conference schedule for them won't be as harsh (even though this would be nightmarish for UAH's travel expenses, I'd imagine).

If Manitoba comes in, they'd want to be in the WCHA as well as they're close geographically to Grand Forks.

I say screw it all. If we're not going to allow a 12 team WCHA (which I'm ok with), then we should put all of these Canadian teams into the CHA. This gives the CHA new life, the Canadian teams may already have rivalries in place they won't have to give up, the conference schedule for them won't be as harsh (even though this would be nightmarish for UAH's travel expenses, I'd imagine).

We could even give them some WCHA flavor by loaning them Alaska Anchorage for a few dozen years. Then we can take on Bemidji just so we can chant, "spank the beavers" at the games. It's a win win win.

I could see the WCHA losing out on a couple good Canadian players, ones that may just want to stay closer to home. The blue-chipper Canadian players would probably still want to go to a more well-known US university like UND though, as they have been proven to prepare players for the next level.

I'm not sure I'm excited about seeing Canadian teams in the NCAA tourney though.

Would anyone really care about a Frozen Four championship between Alberta and UBC? Besides people in Canada, that is.

That's great, Lucia's girdle is already too tight for his health.

I don't understand why the NCAA needs to expand. What are they, a money making enterprise?

Oh yeah....

MN won't care about this because they struggle to recruit in Canada anyway. If anything they are probably happy because it will make it tougher for the UNDs and Denvers of the hockey world who do heavily recruit in Canada.

As for Canadians wanting to come to established programs, let's hope so. And let's hope they like palaces on the prairies. Hockey is Canada's game and I worry that the nationalistic attitude will keep the top Canadian kids playing at Canadian universities. I have to imagine it's easier to go to school in your own country, for instance.

This might not be very good for UND at all.

Damn Canadians always want to play our game! :glare:

I guess I'm more with Goon on this topic. The Canadian schools looking to join would not be powerhouses. I don't see Canadian kids who want to improve, as well as get an education, choosing those schools over North Dakota, Michigan, New Hampshire, Maine, etc. There are plenty of schools in the U.S. that are still very close to Canada, and will do a much better job at developing these players and getting them ready for the pros. Toews and Turris choosing the NCAA route did not change their allegiance to their country. They chose a place that was right for them, to help them develop for their future, in hockey and life.

My take on this is that if Canadian schools become NCAA members, there will be much more competition for recruits from Canada. I may be naive, but I think UND will still be okay, because of its proximity to Canada, its facilities, its tradition, its history of recruiting in Canada, and its all Canadian coaching staff. I think it a good move for UND because I believe the BTHC may be imminent. If UND cannot get an "associate" membership in the BTHC (which, quite frankly, I think likely), a new WCHA comprised of the remaining "old guard" WCHA (UND, CC, DU, MTU and probably UMD) and the new Canadian schools would allow UND to be a member of the other power conference in the NCAA. It would probably make sense to add UAA as well. Why? Because, as some seem to have forgotten, by traveling to UAA the NCAA has ruled that those games do not count against the allowed maximum (efectively amounting to "extra" games in the schedule). I believe also that UAA is still required to pay for all expenses associated with league members traveling to play them at home.

I'm not going to get all wedgied over this. First of all, the NCAA will allow the Canadian teams to come in, but only as DII teams. If they want to play hockey, they have to "play up" like UND has been, and like most of the rest of the WCHA. However, there is a moratorium on playing up, so without NCAA intervention, these schools from north of the border won't be in DI hockey for years.

That being said, I don't see UND being affected by this development at all. Grand Forks is pretty much Canada anyway. Well, except the money isn't as pretty. :glare: Hell, you ever listen to GF natives talk? They even sound Canadian. Eh?

If they don't ever relax the rules on MJ players adding these schools will put pressure on everyone's recruiting. More kids staying at Canadian colleges means more people hitting Minnesota for players. In the end it will mean more opportunities for MN/US kids as well. I wish they would relax on the MJ eligibility issue. A 17 year old with good acedemic standing should be able to choose a US college for hockey if he hasn't accepted payment for his hockey playing.

If they don't ever relax the rules on MJ players adding these schools will put pressure on everyone's recruiting. More kids staying at Canadian colleges means more people hitting Minnesota for players. In the end it will mean more opportunities for MN/US kids as well. I wish they would relax on the MJ eligibility issue. A 17 year old with good acedemic standing should be able to choose a US college for hockey if he hasn't accepted payment for his hockey playing.

Any decent overagers coming out of Tier II will likely get a shot so you and your good buddy "Happy" will now have to watch so many 25 year old Canadians it will make your head spin. :glare:

It would kill all the travel budgets in the CHA.