SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

sprig

CHN TOURNEY UPDATE ARTICLE

4-5. Colorado College, North Dakota

As mentioned before, CC dropped two comparisons because it now loses to Michigan and Miami. This dropped the Tigers to No. 4 overall. Taking a close look at the comparison, there's a lot of flux here still. If North Dakota defeats CC in the WCHA final, for example, the RPIs will change enough to flip things, making CC a No. 2 seed in its own regional.

Either way, the committee will have the dilemma mentioned above, where Minnesota State would be in line to play the Tigers. But, trying to avoid that same-conference matchup, the Mavericks could be flipped with the ECAC champ.

There's another scenario with Air Force (see below).

North Dakota and CC would then be aligned for a second-round game in Colorado Springs, after perhaps just having played in St. Paul. This is not really favorable to anyone, and I've recommended in the past that the committee try to avoid these second-round matchups, like it used to do. But it hasn't done that since going to a 16-team field in 2003. It now ignores second-round implications.

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CHN TOURNEY UPDATE ARTICLE

4-5. Colorado College, North Dakota

As mentioned before, CC dropped two comparisons because it now loses to Michigan and Miami. This dropped the Tigers to No. 4 overall. Taking a close look at the comparison, there's a lot of flux here still. If North Dakota defeats CC in the WCHA final, for example, the RPIs will change enough to flip things, making CC a No. 2 seed in its own regional.

Either way, the committee will have the dilemma mentioned above, where Minnesota State would be in line to play the Tigers. But, trying to avoid that same-conference matchup, the Mavericks could be flipped with the ECAC champ.

There's another scenario with Air Force (see below).

North Dakota and CC would then be aligned for a second-round game in Colorado Springs, after perhaps just having played in St. Paul. This is not really favorable to anyone, and I've recommended in the past that the committee try to avoid these second-round matchups, like it used to do. But it hasn't done that since going to a 16-team field in 2003. It now ignores second-round implications.

I'm more for Notre Dame beating Miami and us flipping that comparison. If Notre Dame beats Miami, it all but assures the Sioux/CC #1's. I'll play with the committee tool more later tonight to see.

I'm more for Notre Dame beating Miami and us flipping that comparison. If Notre Dame beats Miami, it all but assures the Sioux/CC #1's. I'll play with the committee tool more later tonight to see.

The only bad thing is Notre Dame hasn't beat anything that resembles a good team since October when they beat Denver and Miami in November, other than that they are 0-2 Against Michigan, 0-1-1 against Michigan State. All of their wins have been against everyone below them in the standings.

The only bad thing is Notre Dame hasn't beat anything that resembles a good team since October when they beat Denver and Miami in November, other than that they are 0-2 Against Michigan, 0-1-1 against Michigan State. All of their wins have been against everyone below them in the standings.

And Notre Dame just lost their leading scorer for the rest of the season to injury. An unlikely upset for sure.

And Notre Dame just lost their leading scorer for the rest of the season to injury. An unlikely upset for sure.

Yeah good call on that as well. I just don't see ND doing anything in the CCHA tourney or the NCAA playoffs.

Although I am not opposed to them beating Miami to kill their PWR ranking a little more.

NEW BRACKETOLOGY USCHO

this final weekend can make a difference with a few outcomes going certian ways

This Week's Brackets

Colorado Springs

Princeton vs. Colorado College

Notre Dame vs. North Dakota

Madison

Air Force vs. Michigan

Michigan State vs. St. Cloud State

Albany

Niagara vs. Miami

Clarkson vs. Denver

Worcester

Minnesota State vs. New Hampshire

Minnesota vs. Boston College

Conference Breakdown

WCHA - 6

CCHA - 4

HEA - 2

ECAC - 2

CHA - 1

AHA - 1

Jumped In

Notre Dame, Princeton

Dropped Out

Boston University, Wisconsin

NEW BRACKETOLOGY USCHO

This Week's Brackets

Colorado Springs

Madison

Air Force vs. Michigan

Albany

Niagara vs. Miami

Clarkson vs. Denver

Worcester

Conference Breakdown

WCHA - 6

CCHA - 4

HEA - 2

ECAC - 2

CHA - 1

AHA - 1

Jumped In

Notre Dame, Princeton

Dropped Out

and INCH 4X4

http://insidecollegehockey.com/5Polls/0708/44_0627.htm

NEW BRACKETOLOGY USCHO

This Week's Brackets

Colorado Springs

Madison

Air Force vs. Michigan

Albany

Niagara vs. Miami

Clarkson vs. Denver

Worcester

Conference Breakdown

WCHA - 6

CCHA - 4

HEA - 2

ECAC - 2

CHA - 1

AHA - 1

Jumped In

Notre Dame, Princeton

Dropped Out

No doubt changes after this weekend, but appearances are that Denver has lost their way into a better bracket than the Sioux. Would like to see all the cupcake hockey association have to get by both CC and UND, without one (CC or UND) having to beat the other in a regional game.

One thing the committee does not have to worry about is attendance based on where the Sioux are placed, since Sioux fans show up anywhere ;)

Although it would seem CC, Denver, and Air Force all in Colorado would look ideal.

What I find frustrating is that the "bracket integrity" rule is not over-ridden by the "national tournament" philosophy. Moy does a decent job trying to predict what the NCAA will do. And when it comes to the NCAA, there's just no common sense involved.

These brackets would be nothing more than a bunch of re-matches.

COLORADO SPRINGS: featuring the top two teams in the WCHA

North Dakota and Colorado College

MADISON: featuring the only 2 legit teams in the CCHA

Michigan and Michigan State

ALBANY: featuring 4 marginal teams from 4 different conferences

Boring

WORCESTER: featuring the only two teams in Hockey East

New Hampshire and Boston College

Absolutely brutal and yet absolutely possible.

What I find frustrating is that the "bracket integrity" rule is not over-ridden by the "national tournament" philosophy. Moy does a decent job trying to predict what the NCAA will do. And when it comes to the NCAA, there's just no common sense involved.

These brackets would be nothing more than a bunch of re-matches.

COLORADO SPRINGS: featuring the top two teams in the WCHA

North Dakota and Colorado College

MADISON: featuring the only 2 legit teams in the CCHA

Michigan and Michigan State

ALBANY: featuring 4 marginal teams from 4 different conferences

Boring

WORCESTER: featuring the only two teams in Hockey East

New Hampshire and Boston College

Absolutely brutal and yet absolutely possible.

if this were to be you would have the distinct possibility of having 3+ conferences represented at the frozen four versus just 1 or 2. which I think the ncaa would prefer.

If New Hampshire loses to BC they would slip to #4 in the PWR. That would open the door for the Sioux to move into the #2 spot in the PWR if they win the WCHA tourney (and there are no upsets elsewhere).

1 Michigan

2 North Dakota

3 Miami

4 New Hampshire

5 Colorado College

6t Boston College

6t Denver

8 St. Cloud State

9t Michigan State

9t Clarkson

11 Minnesota

12 Minnesota State

13t Notre Dame

14 Princeton

15 Niagara

16 Air Force

the key for the sioux and cc to NOT be in that regional together will be if they dont finish 4th and 5th in pairwisae correct? becuase if the sioux are 4th and cc 5th or flipped that would be standard placement for those 2 spots having the last #1 seed possibly facing the first 2 seed and so on. only 4 days til we find out for sure with a lot of different scenerios to play out!

the key for the sioux and cc to NOT be in that regional together will be if they dont finish 4th and 5th in pairwisae correct? becuase if the sioux are 4th and cc 5th or flipped that would be standard placement for those 2 spots having the last #1 seed possibly facing the first 2 seed and so on. only 4 days til we find out for sure with a lot of different scenerios to play out!

I don't care what happens this weekend as long as we don't get sent to the Springs. I'm not sure we could survive that region based on our recent history there.

I say, no matter where UND goes, they'll have to be playing very well to get anywhere. The field of 16 will have only about 2 or 3 teams considered "patsies". If the guys are really on their game, they can beat anyone...including CC or Michigan. I guarantee that UND will have to go through one or more of the following:

CC

Michigan

BC

I don't care what happens this weekend as long as we don't get sent to the Springs. I'm not sure we could survive that region based on our recent history there.

thats the thing, if we end of 4 and 5 with us at 4 or cc at 4 then its off to the springs i think...oh well, kick ass this weekend and from there on

thats the thing, if we end of 4 and 5 with us at 4 or cc at 4 then its off to the springs i think...oh well, kick ass this weekend and from there on

Don't fear for the Sioux at any of the regionals. This team is on a mission, and Hakstol teams chew through regional opponents, with the lone exception the Gopher OT game last spring (a great matchup).

Oh....and didn't they just hold Tech (a strong team imho) to 11 shots Sunday and 14 shots Friday?

That seems pretty mission-like to me.

GO SIOUX!!!!! :)

Don't fear for the Sioux at any of the regionals. This team is on a mission, and Hakstol teams chew through regional opponents, with the lone exception the Gopher OT game last spring (a great matchup).

Oh....and didn't they just hold Tech (a strong team imho) to 11 shots Sunday and 14 shots Friday?

That seems pretty mission-like to me.

GO SIOUX!!!!! :)

and the comeback we had to have vs michigan :D i dont fear anyone and ive always said that but looking at it realistically you never want to face a team in their home regional. just dont but if you have to then so be it and end cc's season with 3 other teams on the way to #8

and no i wouldnt call tech a strong offensive team, very strong in net though ;) but i do think we have the best d core and goaltending in the nation!!

IF no upsets from now until Sunday and it looks like this

Michigan-1 UNH-2 CC-3 Miami-4

SCSU-8 DU-7 BC-6 UND-5

Mich st. -9 Clarkson-10 Minn-11 Mankato-12

Air Force-16 Niagara-15 Princeton-14 Notre Dame-13

In Madison In Worcester in C Springs in Albany

Matchups are fine, but one Eastern Regional is bare of an Eastern team and the only tossups for seeds are DU/BC and Michigan St./Clarkson. who do you move?

Gotta admit I love UND's draw here!!!

What would NCAA do here?

Move UND to a 4 and BC to 5 and Miami to 6? DU would have a gripe? Swap UND and BC only?(that would suck and create an incredibly weak Albany bracket., sorry Miami I ain't a believer)

Swap Notre Dame and Princeton? Is that enough for Eastern draw?

SCSU-8 DU-7 BC-6 UND-5

Matchups are fine, but one Eastern Regional is bare of an Eastern team and the only tossups for seeds are DU/BC and Michigan St./Clarkson. who do you move?

What would NCAA do here?

Move UND to a 4 and BC to 5 and Miami to 6? DU would have a gripe? Swap UND and BC only?(that would suck and create an incredibly weak Albany bracket., sorry Miami I ain't a believer)

Personally, I'd swap Notre Dame and Mankato - Attendance wise....Albany is screwed no matter who you put there, IMO. Clarkson would be ideal, however, in this situation you sacrifice too much bracket integrity to adjust it. Also, I'd give Michigan, Niagra, move Princeton to play UNH and Air Force would be in the springs. Ultimately, the 3 unranked Auto Bids would be interchangeable I think.

I'll take a look and post my predictions for what it will look like after the snow settles this weekend.

Here is how I have the PWR shaking out after this weekend.

1 [AQ] Michigan (Mi) 24 .5957*

2t [AQ] Colorado College (CC) 22 .5943

2t Miami (Mm) 22 .5807*

2t New Hampshire (NH) 22 .5721

5 North Dakota (ND) 20 .5821

6t [AQ] Boston College (BC) 18 .5486

6t Denver (DU) 18 .5607

8 St. Cloud State (SC) 17 .5411

9t Michigan State (MS) 16 .5505

9t Clarkson (Ck) 16 .5364

11 Minnesota (Mn) 13 .5248

12 Minnesota State (Mk) 12 .5264

13t Notre Dame (Nt) 11 .5357

13t Wisconsin (Wi) 11 .5233

16 [AQ] Princeton (Pn) 8 .5313

22 [AQ] Niagara (Ni) 4 .5106

25 [AQ] Air Force (AF) 0 .5066

Now for my Brackets:

Madison:

1 Mich v. 15 Niagra

8 St. Cloud v 9 Mich. State

Col. Springs:

2 CC v. 16 Air Force

7 Denver v. 10 Clarkson

Albany:

3 Miami v. 14 Princeton

6 BC v. 11 Minn.

Worcester:

4 UNH v. 13 Notre Dame

5 UND v. 12 MSU-Mankato

Only changes I made were in the 4 seed band, swapping 15 and 16.

1 thing of interest, in the scenario I picked, Notre Dame is tied at 13 w/ Wisconsin. What are the odds that Wisconsin hosting a regional is enough to flip that comparison in the committees eyes? Also, in their comparison against each other, they are tied at 2 with Notre Dame winning w/ a better RPI, BUT, Wisconsin beat Notre Dame head to head earlier in the year. Definitely something to consider.

SCSU-8 DU-7 BC-6 UND-5

What would NCAA do here?

I can think of one upset. UND over CC 3-2!

What would that do to your precious bracket?:):D

Just saw a commercial on CBS while watching some b-ball that highlighted some memorable college sports moments and the Holy Cross Victory was shown in the commercial with commentary from the tv guy... pretty sweet to see the Ralph on national TV, haha....oh and a Gophers loss. :)