SiouxSports.com Forum

New Lennon rumor

82SiouxGuy

There is a rumor on the fan board for Southern Illinois University that Dale Lennon may be a finalist for their open head coach position. The topic is discussed in several places on the board, but one of them is shown here. There doesn't seem to be any corroboration to the rumor so far. Rumors vary from having 2 to 5 different finalists and the only one that seems to be confirmed is Matt Eberflus, the associate head coach at Missouri.

I'm skeptical of this rumor for a number of reasons. I'd be concerned if there was anything in the media, or if one of the "in the know" posters on this board corroborates it. Short of that, I can't see Lennon bolting for another FCS job now, particularly during recruiting season.

I'm skeptical of this rumor for a number of reasons. I'd be concerned if there was anything in the media, or if one of the "in the know" posters on this board corroborates it. Short of that, I can't see Lennon bolting for another FCS job now, particularly during recruiting season.

I don't think he is even looking unless someone would offer a better situation with a boatload of money. I think he and is staff are excited about the new facility plans and the support for the D1 move. The Sioux are having a very good recruiting year already from what I understand.

I would think our friends from down south may want to counteract the fact that the coach at the AC is looking elsewhere.

I don't think he is even looking unless someone would offer a better situation with a boatload of money. I think he and is staff are excited about the new facility plans and the support for the D1 move. The Sioux are having a very good recruiting year already from what I understand.

I would think our friends from down south may want to counteract the fact that the coach at the AC is looking elsewhere.

Really, where would that be? :glare: The only two jobs that I know of that are availabe at this time are SMU and WV and I haven't heard coach Bolh's named mentioned nor do I expect it to be or were you referring to Augustana College? You silly Flickertails.............The truth is no one really knows, coaches and AD's do their best to keep this stuff pretty hush hush, just look at coach Miles move to CSU last year. Where was coach Lennon last weekend?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all at SS.

:glare: Yea, we all know coaches stick to their schools, especially during recruiting season. Just ask Houston Nutt and Rich Rodriguez.

Do you really think Lennon hasn't had multiple opportunities to move on since 2001? Remember Montana State last spring (for example)?

Southern Illinois' former coach, Kill, was in the running for the Montana State job until he dropped out later. Now, Kill goes to Northern Illinois. If Kill couldn't be tempted to go to Montana State, and Lennon declined Montana State, why would Lennon choose to Southern Illinois over Montana State?

Southern Illinois is in major need of a facility upgrade for football (it needs a new football stadium) and it's a basketball school. That said, the Gateway autobid, a strong program, and a good recruiting base make SIU a good job. When is UND's indoor practice facility going to be announced? :glare:

3 reasons he would possibly want to go there would be money, already a playoff eligible team, and an established FCS team that made it to the semis this year

He could've had that if he wanted the Montana State job.

Since he didn't take that job, I'm doubting that he wants to leave UND for the time being.

Southern Illinois is in major need of a facility upgrade for football (it needs a new football stadium) and it's a basketball school. That said, the Gateway autobid, a strong program, and a good recruiting base make SIU a good job. When is UND's indoor practice facility going to be announced? :glare:

Carbondale and SIU are about to issue $83 million in bonds for a major construction project(SalukiWay) that includes a 12,000 seat, horseshoe shaped, football stadium. Also, Jerry Kill brought SIU football back from the brink, and it's currently enjoying a kinda-sorta-renaissance that's starting to close in on basketball. I'm not saying Lennon will take the job(though my gut says he will if it's offered), I'm just trying to say that I think SIU is a better job than Montana State.

Early renderings: (bonds issued in 2008, construction begins in '08 or '09?)

fs2aqg77.jpg

Another thing people often don't consider when comparing saleries is cost of living.

And former SIU coach Jerry Kill had a base salary of $175,000 in a working-class region. I expect northeast ND and southern Illinois aren't all that different when it comes to cost of living. I also expect Kill's replacement to get a total package in the $175,000-$200,000 range. That would be a pretty good bump from his[DL's] current salary, correct?

There is a rumor on the fan board for Southern Illinois University that Dale Lennon may be a finalist for their open head coach position. The topic is discussed in several places on the board, but one of them is shown here. There doesn't seem to be any corroboration to the rumor so far. Rumors vary from having 2 to 5 different finalists and the only one that seems to be confirmed is Matt Eberflus, the associate head coach at Missouri.

What? Does Southern Illinois have a top level running back that Lennon can play injured well into the third quarter of a playoff game that is already in hand thoroughly destroying any chance at winning the next week? If not, he may not be interested.

What? Does Southern Illinois have a top level running back that Lennon can play injured well into the third quarter of a playoff game that is already in hand thoroughly destroying any chance at winning the next week? If not, he may not be interested.

Well, do enjoy the fabulous coaching career you obviously enjoy with your superior wisdom and understanding. You may not agree with the decision to keep playing but games can turn around very quickly and teams with games "in hand" have gone home empty handed. as they say, it ain't over until the fat lady sings.

I'd bet if he did leave, it wouldn't be that running back breathing a sigh of relief...but hey maybe you could take over the position. It would be nice to have someone who always made decisions that were undeniably perfect in every way as coach. It's important because if 90 wins in 8 years isn't enough to get any respect, nothing short of perfection will do.

LA LA LA

Well, do enjoy the fabulous coaching career you obviously enjoy with your superior wisdom and understanding. You may not agree with the decision to keep playing but games can turn around very quickly and teams with games "in hand" have gone home empty handed. as they say, it ain't over until the fat lady sings.

I'd bet if he did leave, it wouldn't be that running back breathing a sigh of relief...but hey maybe you could take over the position. It would be nice to have someone who always made decisions that were undeniably perfect in every way as coach. It's important because if 90 wins in 8 years isn't enough to get any respect, nothing short of perfection will do.

LA LA LA

If the basement is filling with water, you don't necessarily have to be a plumber to figure out you're screwed. With a large second half lead against a team that has shown nothing, it doesn't take a coach to figure out you don't keep playing your obviously injured star running back. LA LA LA

If the basement is filling with water, you don't necessarily have to be a plumber to figure out you're screwed. With a large second half lead against a team that has shown nothing, it doesn't take a coach to figure out you don't keep playing your obviously injured star running back. LA LA LA

So - are you saying that you are fine with it if Coach Lennon packs his bags and moves on?

So - are you saying that you are fine with it if Coach Lennon packs his bags and moves on?

Actually, it doesn't matter either way. DII or even DIAA (or subdivision, whatever you want to call it) doesn't do much for me. Even if you win, there are literally 50 or 60 teams that are better than you on the top end of DI. Kind of like winning a consolation title, yeah it's a title, but not really. I am pretty much a hockey guy. If the Sioux mens hockey wins a title, you know they were the best since it is DI.

All kidding aside, Lennon does about the best a guy can do, given his situation. However, the chappel playoff issue was probably one of the bigger mistakes of his tenure.

Do you really think Lennon hasn't had multiple opportunities to move on since 2001? Remember Montana State last spring (for example)?

I'm sure he's had multiple opportunities. Taking the job at Montana State would be like taking the job at Michigan State. Everyone knows you'll always be second fiddle to the "other" school in the state. Lennon was waiting for something better to open up.

I'm sure he's had multiple opportunities. Taking the job at Montana State would be like taking the job at Michigan State. Everyone knows you'll always be second fiddle to the "other" school in the state. Lennon was waiting for something better to open up.

It's all relative. Southern Illinois is a good job, but it certainly takes a backseat to multiple other schools in Illinois. I just didn't see this coming at all. I don't think many did outside of the Lennon household.