SiouxSports.com Forum

FIGHTING SIOUX vs. gophers

aleah

My next day thoughts,

Big thanks to morley for taping the wine pipe line which helped tremendously during the first two periods!!

I saw a couple of Holy Cross jerseys. I don't understand wearing the Holy Cross jerseys when the Sioux are playing but to each his own. I wore mine at the F5 when the Sioux were not playing and danced with the Goofer band all around the area. Great fun. ;)

About the announcer, the game was so tension filled for all of us there that his announcement was a great tension reliever. I don't think it was bush league at all.

The students throwing crap on the ice was totally uncalled for especially during this series. We don't need the possible penalties this could have caused. I'm very surprised there wasn't a penalty.

AND what the hell was that penalty on Finley all about?!? He was holding Wheeler away from the melee, no fighting involved!! I don't get it. Maybe he did something when I was watching the fight on the other side of the net.

Tonight, the win and then we really celebrate. ;)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sioux stole a game last night. I didn't realize it at first but UND was outshot 1-15.

After the first period, I think the shots were around 2 to 20. Philippe was definitely the star of the game. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a deaf and blind goofy fan!! He was AWESOME!!!

Arguing about "class" is so stupid. Its just a tool to bash other teams. The HC comment was in jest, and harmless. Both sides need to take the stick out of their butt. Also, I think PETA would much rather have soda flung on to the ice than a frozen gopher.

Why are th REA announcers making Holy Cross anouncements......classless

Win with class UND we do not need that....?

3-2 GO SIOUX

You keep referring to the REA staff and Sioux fans as classless.

Maybe we should have printed a nice classy poster, instead of the pom poms to give away.

It could have had a picture of the UND Sioux and the Minnesota Technical College gophers on it.

Would that had been classy enough, oh, wait that was already done by another classless institution.

People in glass houses!!!!! ;)

After the first period, I think the shots were around 2 to 20. Philippe was definitely the star of the game. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a deaf and blind goofy fan!! He was AWESOME!!!

Frazee is a sieve, and Jean-Phil is anything but. Minnesota fans realize this fact.

Frazee is a sieve, and Jean-Phil is anything but. Minnesota fans realize this fact.

If UND gets any offense generated before the 3rd period tonight, this one is going to be ugly. Frazee looked aweful once we put some shots on net. He was giving up rebounds late in the game all over the place. I'm hoping for a 7-2, 8-3 game tonight. But a win any way we get it is fine.

If UND gets any offense generated before the 3rd period tonight, this one is going to be ugly. Frazee looked aweful once we put some shots on net. He was giving up rebounds late in the game all over the place. I'm hoping for a 7-2, 8-3 game tonight. But a win any way we get it is fine.

That's a big IF

Ditto, star of the month in my opinion.

Some thoughts on last night's game after watching the third period again:

1. Mark this down as another game that Lamoureux stole. Without his outstanding effort in the first and second periods, the Gophers could have been up 3-0 or more after two periods. The only way Minnesota could score on him was with the man advantage.

2. Chay Genoway's goal was huge. It was great to see him come back and play so well after being done for the year. ;)

3. Rylan Kaip has a great shot. I wish he'd use it more.

4. Matt Watkins had a solid game. I thought he was consistently good for UND all night.

5. As Hak said after the game, Malone's goal was a big one because of the momentum it provided the Sioux and the demoralizing effect it had on the Gophers. I thought the Sioux were lucky not to be called for a man in the crease on that goal as it appeared to me that Kozek was in before the puck arrived. But I'm not going to complain. I think that was an officiating break for the Sioux.

6. Oshie ripping off Barriball's helmet might have cost the Sioux a goal. I'm not sure why he did it, but it looked unnecessary.

7. The crowd throwing stuff on the ice was dumb, stupid, moronic, classless, idiotic, foolish, embarrassing, etc. It could have cost UND the game. But I guess that's what we should expect from people who think that buying a ticket gives them the right to do whatever they want. The beer probably doesn't help, either.

8. I thought the tripping call on LaPoint was legit. In fact, I thought it was a good penalty for LaPoint to take. By bringing his stick up to trip the Gopher, he prevented a clean breakaway. My wife and daughter were watching the replay with me and they both agreed it was a trip without me even commenting on it.

9. The charging call on Kaip was iffy. But as one of my fellow media jackals said, he has a reputation now and he's going to get called for marginal penalties. He just needs to be a little bit smarter about the way he plays the physical side of his game.

10. Mentioning Holy Cross on the PA? I thought it was funny at the time. In retrospect, it probably wasn't a good idea. The score of the Blais-Woog bubble hockey game was legitimate news, however. ;)

11. Don Lucia carries a man purse - not that there's anything wrong with that. ;) Someone needs to do a study on the effects of big-city living on college hockey coaches. Between Gwozdecky's pink ties and gardening gloves and Lucia's hair styles and murse, it appears to have a metrosexual effect on some. ;)

1. Mark this down as another game that Lamoureux stole. Without his outstanding effort in the first and second periods, the Gophers could have been up 3-0 or more after two periods. The only way Minnesota could score on him was with the man advantage.

2. Chay Genoway's goal was huge. It was great to see him come back and play so well after being done for the year. ;)

3. Rylan Kaip has a great shot. I wish he'd use it more.

4. Matt Watkins had a solid game. I thought he was consistently good for UND all night.

5. As Hak said after the game, Malone's goal was a big one because of the momentum it provided the Sioux and the demoralizing effect it had on the Gophers. I thought the Sioux were lucky not to be called for a man in the crease on that goal as it appeared to me that Kozek was in before the puck arrived. But I'm not going to complain. I think that was an officiating break for the Sioux.

6. Oshie ripping off Barriball's helmet might have cost the Sioux a goal. I'm not sure why he did it, but it looked unnecessary.

7. The crowd throwing stuff on the ice was dumb, stupid, moronic, classless, idiotic, foolish, embarrassing, etc. It could have cost UND the game. But I guess that's what we should expect from people who think that buying a ticket gives them the right to do whatever they want. The beer probably doesn't help, either.

8. I thought the tripping call on LaPoint was legit. In fact, I thought it was a good penalty for LaPoint to take. By bringing his stick up to trip the Gopher, he prevented a clean breakaway. My wife and daughter were watching the replay with me and they both agreed it was a trip without me even commenting on it.

9. The charging call on Kaip was iffy. But as one of my fellow media jackals said, he has a reputation now and he's going to get called for marginal penalties. He just needs to be a little bit smarter about the way he plays the physical side of his game.

10. Mentioning Holy Cross on the PA? I thought it was funny at the time. In retrospect, it probably wasn't a good idea. The score of the Blais-Woog bubble hockey game was legitimate news, however. ;)

11. Don Lucia carries a man purse - not that there's anything wrong with that. ;) Someone needs to do a study on the effects of big-city living on college hockey coaches. Between Gwozdecky's pink ties and gardening gloves and Lucia's hair styles and murse, it appears to have a metrosexual effect on some. ;)

PCM I have to say that was awesome, yet very funny.

I originally thought that the goal would be waived off because he did have one foot in the crease. But after watching the replay, he was being checked by a Gopher as he approached the crease so there is argument that he was somewhat pushed. I also believe that he did not cause Frazee to miss the save either. A good non-call.

I originally thought that the goal would be waived off because he did have one foot in the crease. But after watching the replay, he was being checked by a Gopher as he approached the crease so there is argument that he was somewhat pushed. I also believe that he did not cause Frazee to miss the save either. A good non-call.

Yes, Kozek was being checked, but it didn't appear to me that the check forced him into the crease. It look to me as if he went in on his own. But I suppose if they didn't blow the whistle for man in the crease before the puck went in, there was no other way to call it if there was no goalie interference.

Wisconsin scored a similar goal on the Sioux last season, so I guess they're being consistent in their calls in that situation.

I'm just saying that if the officials wanted to be picky about the goal, they probably could have.

Yes, Kozek was being checked, but it didn't appear to me that the check forced him into the crease. It look to me as if he went in on his own. But I suppose if they didn't blow the whistle for man in the crease before the puck went in, there was no other way to call it if there was no goalie interference.

Wisconsin scored a similar goal on the Sioux last season, so I guess they're being consistent in their calls in that situation.

I'm just saying that if the officials wanted to be picky about the goal, they probably could have.

I guess we should say whew... Maybe that is what Frazee was whining about.

Some good and some bad last night:

Bad - MN played the best game of their season so far

Good - Phil was just good enough to keep the team in the game

Bad - Gopher massively outshot the Sioux in the first 2 periods

Good - Sioux had more scoring opportunities in that time

Bad - Gophers played very physical

Good - So did the Sioux

Bad - Sioux couldn't get any offensive flow going in the first 2 periods

Good - after Genoway's goal, they looked like a different team, tipping passes away from MN to generate chances, etc.

Bad - Sioux took 2? too-many-men penalties in the first 2 periods

Good - Their best penalty killer was up to the task

Bad - Officiating was inconsistent (this is for all the GPL'ers ;) )

Good - went both ways and didn't affect the outcome

Bad - Okposo makes an innocent centering pass the deflects in off Bina's skate

Good - Watkins gets the even-up bounce on his goal. I still don't know how that got in, because it seems to have a delay in mid-flight somewhere.

Bad - Special Teams

Good - The Sioux looked great in 4x4 play, and managed to score plenty at even strength

Bad - Big guns for the Sioux were mostly silent

Good - Sioux won the game with scoring from lower lines

Bad - Gophers looked like they were on the power play WAY too much in the first 40 minutes

Good - Sioux recovered

Bad - Pipes weren't good to the Sioux last night

Good - Fortunately they got by without them.

Bad - Throwing stuff on the ice

Good - mentioning Holy Cross around Gopher fans. If Gopher fans wonder why Sioux fans can't drop the HC stuff, all you gotta do is read GPL. Think we complain about officiating too much? How but whining about what Sioux fans do with their money. What's it to ya?

Bad - heart rate was running too high for too long last night

Good - still young enough to survive it.

At least for another day.

I invite you to add to the list.

For those of you that have given the "get over it" and "roll with it" comments about the fans throwing things on the ice and the "F the Gophers" chant. I'd like to talk to you when you are the parent of a 7 year old. Thats not something you want your kids to take in. You try to teach them the right things and how to play fair, not how to be an embarrassment to your school.

For those of you that have given the "get over it" and "roll with it" comments about the fans throwing things on the ice and the "F the Gophers" chant. I'd like to talk to you when you are the parent of a 7 year old. Thats not something you want your kids to take in. You try to teach them the right things and how to play fair, not how to be an embarrassment to your school.

I agree that no parent would want their kids to hear that, but good parenting will win anyday. If you have taught your kid not to say those words, all you have to do at the game is remind them not to use that language. Heck, even add in a story about how the students will get in trouble or something and it should be enough. Parents can only teach their kids what to do in situations, not prevent them from being in those situations. As for the chants, things have gotten better over the years. The only series the students do this is this one. If it is shrugged off, there shouldn't be any trouble for the rest of the year. However, I can see problems ahead if this is blown up into a big situation.

My next day thoughts,

Big thanks to morley for taping the wine pipe line which helped tremendously during the first two periods!!

I saw a couple of Holy Cross jerseys. I don't understand wearing the Holy Cross jerseys when the Sioux are playing but to each his own. I wore mine at the F5 when the Sioux were not playing and danced with the Goofer band all around the area. Great fun. ;)

About the announcer, the game was so tension filled for all of us there that his announcement was a great tension reliever. I don't think it was bush league at all.

The students throwing crap on the ice was totally uncalled for especially during this series. We don't need the possible penalties this could have caused. I'm very surprised there wasn't a penalty.

AND what the hell was that penalty on Finley all about?!? He was holding Wheeler away from the melee, no fighting involved!! I don't get it. Maybe he did something when I was watching the fight on the other side of the net.

Tonight, the win and then we really celebrate. ;)

Penalty on Finley was a terrible call. Wheeler skated in late and pushed a UND player in the mask with his glove. Finley skated in, grabbed him by the back of the jersey and yanked him out of the scrum. Wheeler turned as if he was going to fight, saw who it was and backed off. He stood quietly with Finley and watched. Finley just held on to him until the refs cleared the other players out. Campion saw the entire move and must have been the one who made the call. Finley did nothing to get that call. UND should have the league look at that. Finley pulled out a guy who was initiating more contact nothing more. He didn't hit him or push him around once he pulled him away from the net, just held on to him. (might have scared Wheeler a little).

The charging call on Kaip was redicoulous. 1) Matt Watkins took a much harder check in the first period in the same spot on the boards no call. 2) He didn't hit him hard at all. 3) Woog even thought it was bad.

Finley's roughing call was outrageous! What message does that send to a player except for take the shot when you got it because you're going to get called for it anyway.

Lapoints call was egregious perhaps because Campion waited so long to make the call and Sheppard had just as good look if not better at it. In Lapoints defense the puck WAS right there. (Show me how you play the puck on your knees in that situation without having your stick in that position.)

Oshie got tangled up with the Gopher (nobody's fault). The Gopher had his hat fall off in the exchange. OK fine, but you've got to call the punch to the back of the head. If you saw one you saw the other.

The Sioux got one call in their favor by Campion I believe, when Duncan drew an interference in the first period. (Same corner as Kaips charge.) A similar play the other way was not called on us.

Have season tickets in 110. I didn't take my 7 year old daughter last night but am tonight. There were 2 drunk 20+ year olds in front of us last night...one of each sex. The gal was more of an idiot than the guy but the guy was one of the clowns throwing stuff on the ice. I told them I'll be back tomorrow and if they are back as well one screw up and I'd have them both tossed out as I'm not going to have my daughter subjected to such morons.

The rules were changed and as long as you aren't interferring with the goalie, the goal won't be taken away. Kozek wasn't even interfering with the goalies vision as the shot came from the other way.

I'd have to check, but I don't think that even a whistle would have been called for as he wasn't camped out there. Generally you only see the whistle (and face off out of the zone) when someone's standing in the crease.

The rules were changed and as long as you aren't interferring with the goalie, the goal won't be taken away. Kozek wasn't even interfering with the goalies vision as the shot came from the other way.

I'd have to check, but I don't think that even a whistle would have been called for as he wasn't camped out there. Generally you only see the whistle (and face off out of the zone) when someone's standing in the crease.

When that puck went in Frazee was in East Grand Forks...