SiouxSports.com Forum

INCH Cocktail Napkin - 99 Things Every College Hockey Fan Should Exper

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

What that dive has to do with hockey, I'm not quite sure.

The corner bar is actually a new building it used to be a really run down bar in the same location in Nymore (Bemidji) that My buddies and I used to hit after Bemidji State Beaver hockey games, it is a sports type bar that has killer ham burgers with fried onions. Now when I go back to bemidji to visit or watch the Sioux whoop the beavers a$$ I still have to go to the Corner bar first before the game. It is a tradition.

its a sweet read and i thought i have read that before :) and i was right, its from february , 2004...i knew i wasnt crazy :sad:

AZ - you are a Bemidji guy aren't you? I get there alot in the summer and make a point to hit the Corner and Dave's every chance I get. Slim's and Keith's are great as well. I about fell over reading that list and seeing the Corner Bar.

The corner bar is actually a new building it used to be a really run down bar in the same location in Nymore (Bemidji) that My buddies and I used to hit after Bemidji State Beaver hockey games, it is a sports type bar that has killer ham burgers with fried onions. Now when I go back to bemidji to visit or watch the Sioux whoop the beavers a$$ I still have to go to the Corner bar first before the game. It is a tradition.

I know what it is. I live about a mile away. The burgers don't impress me and I still think it's a dive.

I know what it is. I live about a mile away. The burgers don't impress me and I still think it's a dive.

When I went to school in Bemidji it was a right of passage to eat a Corner bar burger, just like a grinder at Red Pepper.

I think the new bar is nice. Nice place to drink beer and eat a burger, I also like the new Green Mill in Bemidji as well...

When I went to school in Bemidji it was a right of passage to eat a Corner bar burger, just like a grinder at Red Pepper.

I think the new bar is nice. Nice place to drink beer and eat a burger, I also like the new Green Mill in Bemidji as well...

yeah its good and i also like slims bar and grill a lot. thats where i go when im back home. the green mill is very nice being on the lake. they have needed a place like that for a while!

Sitting next to a pep band or right behind a team bench in the stands.

I believe i will be sitting right behind the sioux bench in denver. i got third row seats. anyone know magness will enought to tell me if that is right behind the bench or not.

I believe i will be sitting right behind the sioux bench in denver. i got third row seats. anyone know magness will enought to tell me if that is right behind the bench or not.

If I remember correctly third row should put you directly behind the bench.

We sat right next to the Michigan Tech pep band at the Friday game of that series.... Man they have FUN, but are really loud and annoying! And isn't it against NCAA rules to be playing while the puck is in play? Because they did that a lot too....

Good list of stuff :)

Ok, what's a grinder, and where is the Red Pepper...I have to check it out after the UMD games.

Grinder = Heaven

Taco Meat on a Sub + white sauce, it is genius

Go to the Original at 1011 University Ave.

I need to Fed Ex myself a Grinder kit, but that sounds gross (anyone done THIS?)

Damn TH & those grinder reminders!

FYI, Grinder Kits come "unassembled" -- for you neophytes, at least the buns are pre-sliced. Everything else is in a nice little tub with a Red Pepper logo lid or in plastic wrap. Here are the steps to recreate near-University Ave. perfection in the privacy of your own kitchen:

1) Heat the taco meat in a microwave-safe bowl for about 30-45 seconds, stirring once or twice (better yet, heat in a non-stick pan on the stove);

2) While the taco meat is heating, layer the lettuce (sans plastic bag and twistie) on the lower half of the bun(s) on top of a paper plate;

3) Add some hot sauce (to taste) and some of the white sauce (NO, it is NOT just plain MAYO, sheesh!) from the containers provided on top of the lettuce;

4) Layer the non-taco meat (did you order turkey, salami, ham, or all three as an "everything" grinder?), then the cheese(s) -- the white slabs, then the colby for you "both cheeses" types -- on top of the lettuce/hot sauce/white sauce base;

5) GENTLY spread the warmed taco meat on the cut side of the TOP half of the bun(s);

6) Flip each taco-meat laden bun top onto the bottom and heat in the microwave for 50-90 seconds on high, preferably in a really dirty microwave (recent chili-heating duty is a nice touch). Be certain to check to see if the top is "hot" -- but not too hot -- to touch after about 45 seconds. The proper amount of radiation IS the key to proper flavor melding! "Nuke it" is the technical ordering reference in person, folks!

Sit down and wish you were actually at the original University Ave. location (or the "upscale" 42nd Street location if you are taking Grandma and Grandpa -- nice job of getting the old "feel" in a new structure). Just don't think about how much that 4-pack Grinder Kit package you had FedEx'ed to you REALLY cost! Think of it as a Happy Meal that you bounced a check for!

How easy was Christmas shopping for YOUR Fighting Sioux fans/UND alums on the list this year, eh?

-- Eatin' at the Pepper for 40 years and still diggin' it (as is my spouse and 12-yr-old child!).

yeah its good and i also like slims bar and grill a lot. thats where i go when im back home. the green mill is very nice being on the lake. they have needed a place like that for a while!

Slims is really cool bar as well, they have great burgers with fried onions too...

FYI, Grinder Kits come "unassembled" -- for you neophytes, at least the buns are pre-sliced. Everything else is in a nice little tub with a Red Pepper logo lid or in plastic wrap. Here are the steps to recreate near-University Ave. perfection in the privacy of your own kitchen:

1) Heat the taco meat in a microwave-safe bowl for about 30-45 seconds, stirring once or twice (better yet, heat in a non-stick pan on the stove);

2) While the taco meat is heating, layer the lettuce (sans plastic bag and twistie) on the lower half of the bun(s) on top of a paper plate;

3) Add some hot sauce (to taste) and some of the white sauce (NO, it is NOT just plain MAYO, sheesh!) from the containers provided on top of the lettuce;

4) Layer the non-taco meat (did you order turkey, salami, ham, or all three as an "everything" grinder?), then the cheese(s) -- the white slabs, then the colby for you "both cheeses" types -- on top of the lettuce/hot sauce/white sauce base;

5) GENTLY spread the warmed taco meat on the cut side of the TOP half of the bun(s);

6) Flip each taco-meat laden bun top onto the bottom and heat in the microwave for 50-90 seconds on high, preferably in a really dirty microwave (recent chili-heating duty is a nice touch). Be certain to check to see if the top is "hot" -- but not too hot -- to touch after about 45 seconds. The proper amount of radiation IS the key to proper flavor melding! "Nuke it" is the technical ordering reference in person, folks!

Sit down and wish you were actually at the original University Ave. location (or the "upscale" 42nd Street location if you are taking Grandma and Grandpa -- nice job of getting the old "feel" in a new structure). Just don't think about how much that 4-pack Grinder Kit package you had FedEx'ed to you REALLY cost! Think of it as a Happy Meal that you bounced a check for!

How easy was Christmas shopping for YOUR Fighting Sioux fans/UND alums on the list this year, eh?

-- Eatin' at the Pepper for 40 years and still diggin' it (as is my spouse and 12-yr-old child!).

Oh yeah....I think you got it...