SiouxSports.com Forum

2007-2008 Season

UND Fan

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone seen the men's BB team work out? If so, any observations?

The two transfers look good, as do Little, Youmans and Bledsoe. Overall, it should be a very athletic team, but I wish we had at least one proven, healthy post. I'm not saying the players we have can't get the job done, but Koenig's health is always a concern, and Lehnertz is probably not going to be a big scoring threat at this point in his career.

The two transfers look good, as do Little, Youmans and Bledsoe. Overall, it should be a very athletic team, but I wish we had at least one proven, healthy post. I'm not saying the players we have can't get the job done, but Koenig's health is always a concern, and Lehnertz is probably not going to be a big scoring threat at this point in his career.

Thanks for the insight. Do you know if Harkins is able to go full speed or are his shins still a problem? How much do you think Benter will contribute?

Thanks for the insight. Do you know if Harkins is able to go full speed or are his shins still a problem? How much do you think Benter will contribute?

I don't think Harkins is at full speed yet. As for Benter, he's got ability, but the one time I saw him play he had a lot of trouble finishing. That may have just been a bad day for him--I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...
UND is picked fifth in the NCC pre-season poll: link I certainly think it's realistic to expect a bit better than that.

Yeah, the way this team played last year I'd think they're going to be improved. Other than getting blown out twice in the last week of the season, they were competetive in virtually every other game all year. Most of their losses were by just a handful of points. I have to think that with a year of the new guys playing together and another year playing in Jones' system this team is going to learn to win those close games. We should know a bit more about the team this weekend playing on the road (which was a problem last year) against a couple decent opponents. I expect no worse than a 3rd place finish in the NCC this year.

I also just watched the video of the Basketball Media Day on Sioux Xtra. Coach Jones said that Joseph will play a major role for the team and they expect alot from him this year being an experienced true point guard. He also said that Dumas is the point guard of the future for UND.
On the WDAZ clip tonight, Jones (as well as Doyle and Little) were very upbeat about team chemistry (how novel!) and seemed optimistic about a 20-win season. Maybe there is hope. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I saw something last night that I don't think I've ever seen at a college basketball game before--some of the players on the Dickinson State bench yelled while UND players were shooting free throws in an attempt to distract them (like you often see student sections do). :lol:

A few other random thoughts:

-second half performance was very good; the last ten minutes or so of the first half was about as bad as it gets.

-making Lehnertz try to guard an Emmanuel Little-type player is not a wise move.

-all 13 UND players played in the first half. :)

-I liked last year's offensive set better than this year's. We have some very athletic players, and this offense almost seems to hamstring them from doing what they do best.

I saw something last night that I don't think I've ever seen at a college basketball game before--some of the players on the Dickinson State bench yelled while UND players were shooting free throws in an attempt to distract them (like you often see student sections do). :lol:

A few other random thoughts:

-second half performance was very good; the last ten minutes or so of the first half was about as bad as it gets.

-making Lehnertz try to guard an Emmanuel Little-type player is not a wise move.

-all 13 UND players played in the first half. :)

-I liked last year's offensive set better than this year's. We have some very athletic players, and this offense almost seems to hamstring them from doing what they do best.

I too noticed that I thought it was very unsportsmen like. (leave it up to the students to yell and be rowdy thats what they are for.)

Maybe the men are finally getting the program going in the right direction. Nice win guys.

I think that we will need to wait until the NCC schedule begins to make that determination

Also on another note I heard Coach Jones talking on the coaches show about playing Bemidji State in the Target Center. I don't see that game on the schedule. I would love to be able to see the men play in MPLS.

Final:

Minot State 71

UND 84

For the first time, I actually saw how the offense was apparently supposed to be run, as there were a number of backdoor cuts that led to easy opportunities. In addition to the usual good games by Youmans and Little, Koenig and Harrison had very good performances today.

I went to my first game this weekend and I also enjoyed seeing the offensive scheme run the way it should be. My guess is that the change in the offensive philosophy is the result of our lack of any truly effective post players, although Koenig did play exceptionally well on Saturday. The offense seems to be geared around our small forwards and guards cutting and slashing toward the basket, which makes sense since our lineup is so small this year.

I had a question about Josh Doyle. Does anybody know anything about why he is not playing more? Is he still not completely healthy after his knee injury last year, or are we just too over-crowded in the backcourt and he is apparently the odd-man-out? I was just curious if anyone had any info, unless he is still having knee-trouble it seems odd to me that someone who was such a key contributor to this program over his first two and a half years here seems to be getting so little playing time.

Oh yeah, O.J. Harrison's reverse dunk in the second half this weekend was awesome!

I had a question about Josh Doyle. Does anybody know anything about why he is not playing more? Is he still not completely healthy after his knee injury last year, or are we just too over-crowded in the backcourt and he is apparently the odd-man-out? I was just curious if anyone had any info, unless he is still having knee-trouble it seems odd to me that someone who was such a key contributor to this program over his first two and a half years here seems to be getting so little playing time.

On the coaches' show a few weeks ago, Jones said something to the effect that Doyle is actually back from his injury sooner than expected, but also that he's behind all the guards playing ahead of him. I feel bad for him, but honestly I thought after last year that he might be better off not coming back for a fifth year. That may seem harsh to an extent, but I sort of expected he may struggle for playing time, particularly after suffering a second serious knee injury. Maybe he's just happy to be on the team for one more year, and if so then more power to him. But if he really thought he was going to play a big role this year, then it's kind of a sad situation.