SiouxSports.com Forum

The 2007-08 Rookie Class

UND WFO78

Trupp - A speedster who will only continue to improve as he adjusts to the college game! He has flashes of superstar in him, and I am excited for him to have some college weight training in the coming years. I think we can expect him to contribute early on, but these contributions may be streaky!

Malone - A big guy with a nack for finding the puck. He was my favorite rookie to watch these past two weekends. I believe he has a lot of adjustments to make to the college game, especially in adapting to the speed. But, I like that he is a powerful forward who is not scared to jump into the middle of things. Here's to hoping he turns into a Brandon Bochenski type forward.

Frattin - How amazing must it be to play with Oshie and Duncan as a rookie. I have see some good things out of him, but have also seen some mistakes. He will have pleanty of opportunity to rack up the assists this year, and I predict he will become somewhat of a scorer towards seasons end. Watch out for him during the WCHA playoffs and on!

LaPoint - He is skinnier than I had imagined, so I cannot wait to see him as the collage weight training starts to add the pounds. I have watched him play on the line, and he seems fit to be out 5th or 6th defenseman! I think he will be streaky throughout the year, but I am excited to watch him progress.

Marto - I have not seen enough of him to have too much of an impression, but, during the Manitoba game I was impressed with his willingness to get in the middle of the action. He seems to play bigger than his size indicates, and I think he will be an important part of this team in the future.

Davidson - Not much to go on here. I am excited to see him lay some checks on the Northeastern team this weekend (if he makes the trip). I love his size, and that size alone can keep teams on their heels. We will find out more about this large forward in the coming weeks.

Overall - I am impressed with the freshman class. I feel this group complements the team well, and am very excited to see them mature a FIGHTING SIOUX! One point of emphasis is the size this group brings to the SIOUX. It has been a while since we have had such a large group of skaters. Lets see if they can all gel together and make a run at the title!

As the coach said, all of these Freshman have turned out to be exactly what he expected and they are all ready to step into the lineup and contribute. How often can a top DI team expect that to happen.

As a counter to your viewpoint, Frattin, is playing on the top line because he deserves to be there. The goal he sniped against Lerg comes as no surprise because we had all heard about his shot. However, his passing game is also sound as demonstrated when both he and Chorney were doing the PP setups following the loss of Oshie. Unlike the coaches and Hennesy you say he made mistakes; therefore, could you please provide us some examples.

As the coach said, all of these Freshman have turned out to be exactly what he expected and they are all ready to step into the lineup and contribute. How often can a top DI team expect that to happen.

As a counter to your viewpoint, Frattin, is playing on the top line because he deserves to be there. The goal he sniped against Lerg comes as no surprise because we had all heard about his shot. However, his passing game is also sound as demonstrated when both he and Chorney were doing the PP setups following the loss of Oshie. Unlike the coaches and Hennesy you say he made mistakes; therefore, could you please provide us some examples.

I was not speaking of any major mistakes, I just noticed some hesitency in the attack zone when 5 on 5. You are correct about his shooting ability, I am just stating that it will take some time for his complete game to show up. Good observations about the powerplay, as I forgot to mention this in my post..

I fear Frattin will be another early departure candidate after 2 years with the Sioux. I see him developing quickly and becoming an impact player by the end of the year.

Let's not put the cart before the horse. Very few players have the talent to be able to jump to the pros and be successful after two years of college. Most that do are first round picks. I am just saying it takes more than one game to evaluate the potential of a player.

Let's not put the cart before the horse. Very few players have the talent to be able to jump to the pros and be successful after two years of college. Most that do are first round picks. I am just saying it takes more than one game to evaluate the potential of a player.

You're assuming I'm basing my prediction on one game which is your failing.... :lol:

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Frattin is a pimp... Lapoint is going to develop nicely imo, Trupp seemed pretty decent so far.. Malone and marto also gave me very good vibes so far... I don't have a thousands reasons for who and why will do what... but none of those boys looked like they should be playing for anyone else.

Frattin is a pimp... Lapoint is going to develop nicely imo, Trupp seemed pretty decent so far.. Malone and marto also gave me very good vibes so far... I don't have a thousands reasons for who and why will do what... but none of those boys looked like they should be playing for anyone else.

wow, he comes to UND with a very impressive resume' then, sweet :lol:

Did you mean "pump" because I see Frattin pumping in some goals. I see Trupp as being a cross between Prpich and Duncan, some of each. Overall I am very impressed with this class of freshman, the ones that played against MSU. Manitoba didn't really give much indication, but MSU did. Yes, it is only one game but the indications are really positive. More positive than I might have expected. Jury is still out on Marto and Davidson as they just haven't played yet. The discouraging part is that the jury is still out on Forney. If it doesn't happen soon it might be next year before he gets a good shot with these freshmen. I expect them to improve and be solid contributors.

Did you mean "pump" because I see Frattin pumping in some goals. I see Trupp as being a cross between Prpich and Duncan, some of each. Overall I am very impressed with this class of freshman, the ones that played against MSU. Manitoba didn't really give much indication, but MSU did. Yes, it is only one game but the indications are really positive. More positive than I might have expected. Jury is still out on Marto and Davidson as they just haven't played yet. The discouraging part is that the jury is still out on Forney. If it doesn't happen soon it might be next year before he gets a good shot with these freshmen. I expect them to improve and be solid contributors.

well, PUMP and PIMP can go together :huh::lol:

Frattin looking off the reigning Hobey Baker award winner and rifling a shot of his own says everything necessary about the kid.

He's got a set.

That was a very heads-up play. From watching the video replay, and with my limited hockey knowledge, it looks like it would have been very difficult to get a pass to Duncan. The D played it pretty well. Therefore, not only was it a great shot, but I think he made the best choice considering all the variables.

Frattin will be WCHA Freshman of the Year

Nothing against Frattin, but I agree with the earlier post about Turris taking that award. He is a very highly skilled forward.

On the other hand, if Frattin remains with Oshie & Duncan, he will certainly rack up the points. And, if Turris finds himself not getting as many points in the WI "system"...we could see a surprise on our hands.

That said, the ROTY award is Turris' to lose at this point.

I like this freshmen class. Although they may haven't received the hype that the Wisconsin and Minnesota classes have, I think they will be a very solid class in the long run. Frattin, Trupp, Lapoint, and Malone have provided a solid impact right away and I think that Marto and Davidson will in the long run.

I like this freshmen class. Although they may haven't received the hype that the Wisconsin and Minnesota classes have, I think they will be a very solid class in the long run. Frattin, Trupp, Lapoint, and Malone have provided a solid impact right away and I think that Marto and Davidson will in the long run.

this will be a nice mix up of a whole class that may stay 3-4 years as a whole which is important with who we have coming in in 08 and 09

• 11 months later...
Trupp - A speedster who will only continue to improve as he adjusts to the college game! He has flashes of superstar in him, and I am excited for him to have some college weight training in the coming years. I think we can expect him to contribute early on, but these contributions may be streaky!

Malone - A big guy with a nack for finding the puck. He was my favorite rookie to watch these past two weekends. I believe he has a lot of adjustments to make to the college game, especially in adapting to the speed. But, I like that he is a powerful forward who is not scared to jump into the middle of things. Here's to hoping he turns into a Brandon Bochenski type forward.

Frattin - How amazing must it be to play with Oshie and Duncan as a rookie. I have see some good things out of him, but have also seen some mistakes. He will have pleanty of opportunity to rack up the assists this year, and I predict he will become somewhat of a scorer towards seasons end. Watch out for him during the WCHA playoffs and on!

LaPoint - He is skinnier than I had imagined, so I cannot wait to see him as the collage weight training starts to add the pounds. I have watched him play on the line, and he seems fit to be out 5th or 6th defenseman! I think he will be streaky throughout the year, but I am excited to watch him progress.

Marto - I have not seen enough of him to have too much of an impression, but, during the Manitoba game I was impressed with his willingness to get in the middle of the action. He seems to play bigger than his size indicates, and I think he will be an important part of this team in the future.

Davidson - Not much to go on here. I am excited to see him lay some checks on the Northeastern team this weekend (if he makes the trip). I love his size, and that size alone can keep teams on their heels. We will find out more about this large forward in the coming weeks.

Overall - I am impressed with the freshman class. I feel this group complements the team well, and am very excited to see them mature a FIGHTING SIOUX! One point of emphasis is the size this group brings to the SIOUX. It has been a while since we have had such a large group of skaters. Lets see if they can all gel together and make a run at the title!

I am really excited for the 2008-09 season to begin!!! Now that I am a UND alum, I have some lower bowl season tickets in my possession, and am very excited to bring my RALPH BEER to my seats! I looked back on the beginning of last year and thought mine and the Sioux Sports faithful's analysis of the rookie class was pretty accurate.... Here is my post, have fun reading and reacting to my 2007-08 freshman predictions.