SiouxSports.com Forum

Augustana vs UND

SiouxMD

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am worried about the # of points the D has let happen this year. I will say Sioux win, but Augustana will get quite a few points....still, UND will pull it out...

Ill say:

UND 48 (6 touchdowns, 2 field goals)

AUG 30 (3 touchdowns, 3 field goals)

Can we please sell this place out this weekend?!?!!? There is no reason Fighting Sioux football isn't packing the walls of the Alerus Center. Tell your friends to get to the game on Saturday!!!! Let's Go Sioux!!!

Even though the UND defense is still pretty banged-up, at least at linebacker, we should find out a lot on Saturday about whether the struggles of the last two games are an aberration or a trend. Statistically, the Augie offense is the second-worst in the conference, behind only St. Cloud State. If UND gives up much more than about 20 points to them, I think we've got very legitimate reason for concern.

Even though the UND defense is still pretty banged-up, at least at linebacker, we should find out a lot on Saturday about whether the struggles of the last two games are an aberration or a trend. Statistically, the Augie offense is the second-worst in the conference, behind only St. Cloud State. If UND gives up much more than about 20 points to them, I think we've got very legitimate reason for concern.

Let's say that the defense gets healthy and still gives up a few more yards/points than we have gotten used to the last several years...who has the defense to stop this offense??? This TEAM has the opportunity to do some special things. I would say that not too long ago a number of you complained about the anemic offense and were critical of the playcalling of Mussman. Sure seems to be out of mind now. This is a dynamic offensive unit. Certainly is fun to watch and must be a living hell to try to contain. The defense had to carry this team alot in the past. Maybe now it is the offense's turn. Don't kid yourself, this defense has a lot of talent and pride. Keep in mind there are 3 seniors on it. They are young! Give them time. GET OUT TO THE GAME, SUPPORT THE TEAM, STAY FOR THE ENTIRE GAME AND PARTY LIKE A ROCK STAR AFTER IT IS OVER!!!! GO SIOUX!!!

Let's say that the defense gets healthy and still gives up a few more yards/points than we have gotten used to the last several years...who has the defense to stop this offense??? This TEAM has the opportunity to do some special things. I would say that not too long ago a number of you complained about the anemic offense and were critical of the playcalling of Mussman. Sure seems to be out of mind now. This is a dynamic offensive unit. Certainly is fun to watch and must be a living hell to try to contain. The defense had to carry this team alot in the past. Maybe now it is the offense's turn. Don't kid yourself, this defense has a lot of talent and pride. Keep in mind there are 3 seniors on it. They are young! Give them time. GET OUT TO THE GAME, SUPPORT THE TEAM, STAY FOR THE ENTIRE GAME AND PARTY LIKE A ROCK STAR AFTER IT IS OVER!!!! GO SIOUX!!!

In my case, I am just used to seeing our defense dominate the competition. This is obviously a new look for the Sioux, and even the NCC with the amount of phenomenal quarterbacks in this league. I am just taking a little extra time getting used to seeing teams have more success against the Sioux D. ;)

Let's say that the defense gets healthy and still gives up a few more yards/points than we have gotten used to the last several years...who has the defense to stop this offense;) This TEAM has the opportunity to do some special things. I would say that not too long ago a number of you complained about the anemic offense and were critical of the playcalling of Mussman. Sure seems to be out of mind now. This is a dynamic offensive unit. Certainly is fun to watch and must be a living hell to try to contain. The defense had to carry this team alot in the past. Maybe now it is the offense's turn. Don't kid yourself, this defense has a lot of talent and pride. Keep in mind there are 3 seniors on it. They are young! Give them time. GET OUT TO THE GAME, SUPPORT THE TEAM, STAY FOR THE ENTIRE GAME AND PARTY LIKE A ROCK STAR AFTER IT IS OVER!!!! GO SIOUX!!!

I'm just concerned about having to score on virtually every possession to win against the better teams, i.e. the playoff game last year in Omaha. That's a lot to ask of any offense. I don't think anybody's realistically expecting a repeat of the 2001 defense, but we do need to get better against the run, and generate more of a pass rush. I just don't want UND to be like USD from a couple of years ago--a record-breaking offense but only a share of a four-way tie for the NCC title, and no playoff appearance to show for it.

I'm just concerned about having to score on virtually every possession to win against the better teams, i.e. the playoff game last year in Omaha. That's a lot to ask of any offense. I don't think anybody's realistically expecting a repeat of the 2001 defense, but we do need to get better against the run, and generate more of a pass rush. I just don't want UND to be like USD from a couple of years ago--a record-breaking offense but only a share of a four-way tie for the NCC title, and no playoff appearance to show for it.

I am assuming that you have been attending the games. It is very apparent what the game plan has been from our competition to date...3 step drops. NO ONE has much success against that. Usually the only sacks that come from that is due to great coverage. The reason teams run that against us is that they respect us up front; they need to get the ball out quickly. On Saturday Auggie is going to pass 80% of the time, especially when they get behind.

I am assuming that you have been attending the games. It is very apparent what the game plan has been from our competition to date...3 step drops. NO ONE has much success against that. Usually the only sacks that come from that is due to great coverage. The reason teams run that against us is that they respect us up front; they need to get the ball out quickly. On Saturday Auggie is going to pass 80% of the time, especially when they get behind.

I disagree. Look at how many rushing attempts Augie had against UNO. UNO is historically known for having a defense that's pretty good against the run, but weak against the pass. If Augie rushed that many times (over 30) against UNO, you can bet they're going to try something similar against the Sioux, at least so long as the game is reasonably close. We haven't given teams much of a reason NOT to stick with the run so far. I realize that getting pressure on the quarterback against a team that utilizes a three-step drop is difficult, but I still think that overall, the pass rush is far less effective as a whole this year. That's not to say it can't improve, however. Hopefully it will.

Our defense has not been as aggressive as in years passed (missing Digger) that said, I believe this week is the 1st chance the Sioux Defense has to have all it's #1 on the field (healthy) at the same time since spring ball. I look for marked improvement and I think we will stop waiting around, playing assigment type defense, and start attacking making things happen defense(Stroup)...Just my thoughts with some inside info mixed in. ;)

Our defense has not been as aggressive as in years passed (missing Digger) that said, I believe this week is the 1st chance the Sioux Defense has to have all it's #1 on the field (healthy) at the same time since spring ball. I look for marked improvement and I think we will stop waiting around, playing assigment type defense, and start attacking making things happen defense(Stroup)...Just my thoughts with some inside info mixed in. ;)

Per your comment, that must mean that Stroup and the rest of the crew are going to play this weekend. I agree, it will be good to see how they do when everyone is playing. In my opinion, we really missed Stroup last week.