SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Preseason Coaches Poll

WiSioux

Preseason Coaches Poll Article

Coaches Poll

For the first time since the 2000-01 season, UND has been picked to win the league in the Grand Forks Herald's annual preseason coaches' poll.

The Sioux received seven first-place votes and a total of 79 points. They edged two-time defending league champion Minnesota, which grabbed the other three first-place votes and had a total of 74 points.

Three of those players - Ryan Duncan, T.J. Oshie and Taylor Chorney - landed votes for the preseason player of the year. Duncan topped his teammates to earn the honor, gaining five votes. Oshie had three, Chorney one and Minnesota forward Kyle Okposo one.

It's believed to be the first time in the 37-year history of the poll that three players on the same team have gotten votes for the preseason player of the year.

Let's hope the boys can live up to the hype...

Knowing Hak, he didn't vote for his own team/players. If you go by that, that'd be likely one more first place vote and Okposo wouldn't have gotten the one player vote.

I like being the underdog.

you cant. so hak was the one who voted for okposo and eaves voted for trupp(who he recruited).

EDIT: i just repeated what I ranger said. my bad. i was also surprised that eaves voted for trupp instead of someone like white, but like i said, he recruited trupp. he must know something we dont

cant wait to see how we start, under hak we have been just ok/good heading into the december break but then breaking out and making a frozen 4 run all 3 years!! if we could play like the 2nd half in both halves it could be pretty special. if not, oh well. this team is very talented on the defensive side. we will need the likes of kozek, watins and miller to step up and have between 15-20 points each. i think frattin will battle with trupp for ROY with their goal scoring abilities. will e nice to see what malone brings in along with lapoint. i see these 2 being very important especially lapoint being a offensive skilled d man. i can see vande velde centering that top line or maybe trupp gets a look keeping it a very very speedy line. so nice to see these polls for one reason onl..........which means sioux hockey is that much closer!!

i read on the BC board the game vs the sioux @ BC will be on CSTV for direct tv and dish viewers out there. i havent seen any other schedules for cstv. i did see the first part of espnu and they dot have many to start but they do a lot of tape delayed broadcasts as well

cant wait to see how we start, under hak we have been just ok/good heading into the december break but then breaking out and making a frozen 4 run all 3 years!! if we could play like the 2nd half in both halves it could be pretty special. if not, oh well. this team is very talented on the defensive side. we will need the likes of kozek, watins and miller to step up and have between 15-20 points each. i think frattin will battle with trupp for ROY with their goal scoring abilities. will e nice to see what malone brings in along with lapoint. i see these 2 being very important especially lapoint being a offensive skilled d man. i can see vande velde centering that top line or maybe trupp gets a look keeping it a very very speedy line. so nice to see these polls for one reason onl..........which means sioux hockey is that much closer!!

i read on the BC board the game vs the sioux @ BC will be on CSTV for direct tv and dish viewers out there. i havent seen any other schedules for cstv. i did see the first part of espnu and they dot have many to start but they do a lot of tape delayed broadcasts as well

Sweet we will be able to see the game on CSTV. I think that Turris will be a good player but some have already chalked him up for the ROY much like Kessel was as well. I just hope that if there are other players in the league that are as good they will be given a look for the award as well... Personally I think Oshie was robbed but I look at the world through green shaded glasses...

don't see it here though

http://www.cstv.com/watchyourfaceoff/flash/

click on Hockey Schedule

I think the Sioux need to answer some questions offensively, and JP needs to stay healthy in nets, but I think this year the fans have good reason to expect a bit better start to the season than the last few, or at least the last couple.

It's a long season, and injuries can happen as well as non-heralded players becoming heralded and vice versa. I for one don't think the heavy UND-love in this poll means too much.

go out and play sioux hockey and the rest will take care of itself. could care less about the polls every year. they are for the media and fans to gush over. i see the sioux or gophers winning the regular season title which is a very nice title to win but the one that matters the most is in denver!