SiouxSports.com Forum

Can You Hear the Thundering Hooves?

Lefty - UNO Fan

If you listen carefully you might hear the faint sound of a stampeding herd of Mavericks that will be making its way to Grand Forks. Run for your lives.

OK, just kidding, but I see UND and UNO on a collision course of top 5 teams if both teams continue to play like they have been. As I fan I can look ahead, but the teams cannot. Congrats on the big wins Sioux fans. Let's send out the NCC in style. I'd like one of our teams to take Grand Valley off their throne.

As I was listening to the Sioux game Saturday, I heard the score update of 21-0. Next thing I heard was the final score, 25-21. (I think?)

What happened in that game anyway? Nice comeback!

Although that was said on the Sioux broadcast, it was incorrect. NWM scored first, but two fg's by UNO made it 7-6, before two more TDs by NWM made it 21-6 after three quarters. UNO scored 3 times in the fourth quarter to win, then int'ed NWM on their last possession. Sounds like UNO knocked out the starting QB and, maybe the RB, earlier in the game?

UNO moved the ball a lot in the 1st 3 quarters and got to the 15 four times, but couldn't punch it in. 2 FGs, 1 fumble, and 1 missed FG. In the 4th quarter, NW wore out and couldn't tackle or pass block. They had a lot of cramping on their team, especially the receivers, but Omon too. UNO took advantage of that to score 3 TDs in the 4th quarter plus load up against the running game.

If you listen carefully you might hear the faint sound of a stampeding herd of Mavericks that will be making its way to Grand Forks. Run for your lives.

OK, just kidding, but I see UND and UNO on a collision course of top 5 teams if both teams continue to play like they have been. As I fan I can look ahead, but the teams cannot. Congrats on the big wins Sioux fans. Let's send out the NCC in style. I'd like one of our teams to take Grand Valley off their throne.

It's a football-hockey double dip that day, so I think the Alerus will be jam packed, with things being inhospitable for the Mavericks. Should be a great ballgame, but plenty of work to be done before that.

• 2 weeks later...

The thunder in the distance is getting louder, especially when UNO held WWU to 10 points last week. Of course, they gave up 23 to Augie this week so who knows what will happen in a couple weeks.

Bye the way, do you all notice that UNO plays most NCC teams the week before UND? Something to do with the scheduling rotation I assume.

• 2 weeks later...
The thunder in the distance is getting louder, especially when UNO held WWU to 10 points last week. Of course, they gave up 23 to Augie this week so who knows what will happen in a couple weeks.

Bye the way, do you all notice that UNO plays most NCC teams the week before UND? Something to do with the scheduling rotation I assume.

I'd say it is a roaring stampede right now. UNO has a much better offense than WWU and MSUM.

I can't travel to Grand Forks and have a couple questions about watching the UNO game on SiouxXtra. It appears that I can purchase 24 hours of access for $6 on SiouxXtra. Two years ago, I paid $10 for the game that I believe was televised in North Dakota and broadcast on the web. I think I could also watch a couple replays on-line for that price too. I think the UNO game was one of only a couple games to be broadcast on the web.

Has SiouxXtra replaced the broadcast system from 2 years ago?

I've read where some of you are having difficulties with the video and audio. Have those been resolved?

I'll probably spend the $6 anyway, but just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

I can't travel to Grand Forks and have a couple questions about watching the UNO game on SiouxXtra. It appears that I can purchase 24 hours of access for $6 on SiouxXtra. Two years ago, I paid $10 for the game that I believe was televised in North Dakota and broadcast on the web. I think I could also watch a couple replays on-line for that price too. I think the UNO game was one of only a couple games to be broadcast on the web.

Has SiouxXtra replaced the broadcast system from 2 years ago?

I've read where some of you are having difficulties with the video and audio. Have those been resolved?

I'll probably spend the $6 anyway, but just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

I believe SiouxXtra has replaced the old system (Dataflix). I believe there have been a number of problems with quality this year (every year for that matter). There's a pretty good chance you'll be disappointed with the quality.

Lefty-UNO:

With UNO not being part of the MIAA football schedule until 2009, have you heard anything about the Red Mavs 2008 schedule? Scheduling as an independent will be tough - imagine you'll play all the GNAC teams. Any chance UNO would reconsider playing UND and USD? Last year Pat Behrns said this 2007 game will be the last between UND and UNO.

Lefty-UNO:

With UNO not being part of the MIAA football schedule until 2009, have you heard anything about the Red Mavs 2008 schedule? Scheduling as an independent will be tough - imagine you'll play all the GNAC teams. Any chance UNO would reconsider playing UND and USD? Last year Pat Behrns said this 2007 game will be the last between UND and UNO.

Actually, Southern Baptist is dropping out of the MIAA in football only. UNO will take their slot in the conference schedule in 2008 and SBU will be an independent. It is very fortunate for UNO because being an independent would have been very tough. UNO will still play Nebraska-Kearney and have 1 non-conference opening. I have no idea who that would be, but my guess would be UNO will stay in D2 for an opponent. Perhaps Mankato, St. Cloud, Duluth, or Augie or maybe even Chadron St. People here in Nebraska think that game needs to happen.

The first Sioux Xtra webcast(against Humboldt State) was horrible you didn't really get to watch a quarters worth of the game. The second one against Central Washington also had problems freezing but was a bit better than the Humboldt State webcast. The Augustana webcast however was much better though I got to watch most of the game and got to see most of the big plays. It still however did have some freeze-ups but it was less frequent than the previous webcasts which is definitely a step up for UND webcast :lol:. So hopefully it's a sign that it's just gonna keep on improving. Hopefully you'll be able to watch it just fine!

The new webcasts are better production quality than they had before. I believe they addressed the freeze up problems when they asked audio listeners to register. For football games, they may still have problems, but last night's hockey webcast was flawless - not one problem.

The new webcasts are better production quality than they had before. I believe they addressed the freeze up problems when they asked audio listeners to register. For football games, they may still have problems, but last night's hockey webcast was flawless - not one problem.

Using football to work out the kinks for hockey?

First off, the Sioux offense is as good as advertised except it has a little bit of trouble in the red zone. UNO defense plays bend, but don't break, and they tighthen up in red zone.

Second, the Sioux defense is a bit soft against the run like I thought. They really swarmed to the ball and McNeil was able to break free a couple times. UNO was missing 2 starters on the offensive line, but still was able to push around the front. The Sioux earned that turnover by Miller. Two guys had him stopped and #35 stripped him. That's good coaching. You can tell UND is well-coached.

I hope all the Sioux players heal up. I don't really want this to happen, but I have a feeling that these two teams will meet again in Omaha later this year. That would be the 4th game in about a year between these two and 3rd in Omaha. That would be really unprecedented.

Lefty-UNO:

Actually, Southern Baptist is dropping out of the MIAA in football only. UNO will take their slot in the conference schedule in 2008 and SBU will be an independent. It is very fortunate for UNO because being an independent would have been very tough. UNO will still play Nebraska-Kearney and have 1 non-conference opening. I have no idea who that would be, but my guess would be UNO will stay in D2 for an opponent. Perhaps Mankato, St. Cloud, Duluth, or Augie or maybe even Chadron St. People here in Nebraska think that game needs to happen.

I wonder if in the future (transition-hell crappy schedule years), UNO would reconsider and send their football team to GF once or twice if the UND hockey team made a trip to Omaha?

I wonder if in the future (transition-hell crappy schedule years), UNO would reconsider and send their football team to GF once or twice if the UND hockey team made a trip to Omaha?

That's an interesting barter there. I don't know if that kind of deal is done much or not. UNO shouldn't have any trouble getting football games, but the hockey schedule is the question. I think the hockey coach Kemp would be all for that, but I doubt Behrns would be. It would be a case of the D2 sport sacrificing for the D1 sport at UNO. Here's another question, would the Sioux even want Omaha up there again? It seems like a lot of risk and not much reward.