SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2007-08 Updates

USA Hockey

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hakstol could make some moves with Davidson or Forney...

Davidson was brought in knowing he was a project. I don't see the coaches moving away from that stance any time soon.

Forney hasn't seen a healthy season yet. And I'll note again that Hakstol played him in Game 17 of the 35 game schedule and he only played 3 games this season (see posts 18 and 21 here). Hak spoke of Forney in "top six forward" terms in the fall of 2007. I just want to see a healthy Michael Forney for more than two games in a row before rushing to conclusions.

Like I said elsewhere, the numbers of forwards lined up to come between now and September 2009 (yes, 9) matches the number to run out of eligibility plus one (VV) so the assumption in there is Davidson and Forney are on the roster.

My questions are all "who and when". That's controlled by departures.

What does all that tell me?

There is no off-season for Dave Hakstol. :glare:

Davidson was brought in knowing he was a project. I don't see the coaches moving away from that stance any time soon.

Forney hasn't seen a healthy season yet. And I'll note again that Hakstol played him in Game 17 of the 35 game schedule and he only played 3 games this season (see posts 18 and 21 here). Hak spoke of Forney in "top six forward" terms in the fall of 2007. I just want to see a healthy Michael Forney for more than two games in a row before rushing to conclusions.

Like I said elsewhere, the numbers of forwards lined up to come between now and September 2009 (yes, 9) matches the number to run out of eligibility plus one (VV) so the assumption in there is Davidson and Forney are on the roster.

My questions are all "who and when". That's controlled by departures.

What does all that tell me?

There is no off-season for Dave Hakstol. :glare:

Does anyone know if Forney will be coming back as a Sophomore?

Does anyone know if Forney will be coming back as a Sophomore?

At risk of repeating myself ...

And I'll note again that Hakstol played him in Game 17 of the 35 game schedule and he only played 3 games this season (see posts 18 and 21 here).

See posts 17, 18, and 21 in the link.

It's clear that 2007-08 should not count as a year of competition for Forney. By my understanding of the rule book, he'd be coming back this fall as a sophomore.

Personally I think it would be great to be a head coach and not have to take any responsibility for poor performance/preparation by his team. :D

Poor preparation is different than poor performance.

Coaches can be held accountable for poor preparation. I do not think that the coach can be held accountable if his team goes out and just plays badly.

I think both were the case against BC. Hakstol didn't do well this time around, but neither did the entire team. A true team loss for sure.

Poor preparation is different than poor performance.

Coaches can be held accountable for poor preparation. I do not think that the coach can be held accountable if his team goes out and just plays badly.

I think both were the case against BC. Hakstol didn't do well this time around, but neither did the entire team. A true team loss for sure.

Different yes, but certainly linked to motivation and mental readiness which leads to performance, good or bad.

Bad preparation = bad performance. The coach has responsibility and accountability for both. Not a big deal in Oct, a huge problem in April.

Ah, good to see another stay-at-home "natural born sniper" ala Matt Greene. :D :D

Actually, if I had to pick a D-man that MacWilliam is similar to in style of play it would be Greene, just not as good.

Humboldt is up 1-0 with 10 minutes to play in the game, and the star of the game thus far has been Humboldt's top D-man Brady Wacker. At the Royal Bank Cup Awards Ceremony he was picked as the D-man of the year in Tier II Junior and I can see why. Small in stature but he plays like he is 6'4" and hits everything in his path. To quote his coach, every night he wears his heart on his sleeve.

Update: Finished 1-0 for Humboldt. Denver can have Colborne. He may have been the Tier II Junior player of the year but put him against a top D like Humboldt's and he is easily neutralized.

Actually, if I had to pick a D-man that MacWilliam is similar to in style of play it would be Greene, just not as good.

Humboldt is up 1-0 with 10 minutes to play in the game, and the star of the game thus far has been Humboldt's top D-man Brady Wacker. At the Royal Bank Cup Awards Ceremony he was picked as the D-man of the year in Tier II Junior and I can see why. Small in stature but he plays like he is 6'4" and hits everything in his path. To quote his coach, every night he wears his heart on his sleeve.

A scout I talked with said McW partner is a player - have you seen him today?

A scout I talked with said McW partner is a player - have you seen him today?

The announcers acknowledged that MacWilliam had a good game for Camrose (he did) and back in the first period they did mention that he would be going to North Dakota. As I said in my last post, he does play alot like Greene, but it is hard to tell at this point in time if he will be as good.

As I said in my last post, he does play alot like Greene, but it is hard to tell at this point in time if he will be as good.

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH that is great news. We need a defenseman smashing people infront of our net again like Greene did. The Sioux need to instill fear into the oppostion and make them not want to go infront of our net again.

I don't think currently the Sioux have struck that fear based on the number of times an opponent has run over our goaltenders.

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH that is great news. We need a defenseman smashing people infront of our net again like Greene did. The Sioux need to instill fear into the oppostion and make them not want to go infront of our net again.

I don't think currently the Sioux have struck that fear based on the number of times an opponent has run over our goaltenders.

blood will bring much need size too. we may have blood, mcW, and finley all next year. thats crazy size.

Size won't matter when you can't stop them from going around you,aka Gerbe.

The Sioux allowed 73 goals (not counting ENG) over 43 games this year do you realize how ridiculously good that is?

Gerbe led the country in goals and scoring while skating around everybody on his way to almost single handedly winning his team the national title.

If you want to design our recruiting and defense around stopping one player who nobody was able to stop all year long and who will be playing pro hockey next year I would be careful what you wish for.

Personally im thrilled we will be continuing the tradition of molding huge bruising defenseman into future NHL players.

blood will bring much need size too. we may have blood, mcW, and finley all next year. thats crazy size.

I think we need to get back to the days of fast up front with a good mixture of tree trunks and skilled offensive defenseman.

It would appear that the recruits coming in and the ones we have left that will be the case. I also want the opposition to know if he does something stupid in front of our net he is going to hurt after completeing the stupid act. I also think this next team is going to be tougher and meaner. Toughness with skill and speed wins games.

I think we need to get back to the days of fast up front with a good mixture of tree trunks and skilled offensive defenseman.

It would appear that the recruits coming in and the ones we have left that will be the case. I also want the opposition to know if he does something stupid in front of our net he is going to hurt after completeing the stupid act. I also think this next team is going to be tougher and meaner. Toughness with skill and speed wins games.

i agree. it is a nice combination to have. i dont like it when forwards of other teams can lay out our dmen(no offense to genoway).

The Sioux allowed 73 goals (not counting ENG) over 43 games this year do you realize how ridiculously good that is?

Gerbe led the country in goals and scoring while skating around everybody on his way to almost single handedly winning his team the national title.

If you want to design our recruiting and defense around stopping one player who nobody was able to stop all year long and who will be playing pro hockey next year I would be careful what you wish for.

Personally im thrilled we will be continuing the tradition of molding huge bruising defenseman into future NHL players.

Gerbe wasn't the only one believe me and how many times did Lammy bale them out.I do like what is coming in though and it will be interesting to see how the new guys do next year.