SiouxSports.com Forum

HAKSTOL 9 MONTHS and change LEFT ON CONTRACT!

the"source"

Some people are worried about the situation and about Buning's ability to keep Hakstol (or other coaches) happy. Some people may be a little worried but feel it will get done no matter what and that's overall there isn't really anything to worry about at this time. Some people aren't worried and feel since he still has a contract, there is nothing more to discuss. Some people feel that Buning is doing a good/great job and the move to D1 is where the money is going and unless the alumni pony-up and help foot the bill, there is nothing that can be done at this point in time.

To those of you who say this will get done or aren't worried, at what point in time do you start to worry or do you start questioning the happenings within the AD's office and Buning's ability to keep Hakstol happy? Do you start to worry once practice starts, once the games start, halfway through the season, season's end, or next summer?

Also, at what time do those who feel Buning is doing a great/satisfactory job, start to question his ability to lead our athletic department?

I'm curious at what it's going to take for some to start to worry about Hakstol or question Buning's performance.

Please discuss....

Do you even read your own words before you hit the "add reply" button?

Try it sometime.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you even read your own words before you hit the "add reply" button?

Try it sometime.

Do you always answer questions with questions? Or is that lawyer-speak?

I'm just curious when people think a contract should have been completed by before they begin to worry? I can try but I don't think I can make the question any more simple if you are having trouble understanding the previous post.

Do you always answer questions with questions? Or is that lawyer-speak?

I'm just curious when people think a contract should have been completed by before they begin to worry? I can try but I don't think I can make the question any more simple if you are having trouble understanding the previous post.

All I've seen from you, 7NationalTitles, regarding this issue is a constant bashing of Buning and the way the AD has handled this situation. I have never seen you ask the previous question in a post before. By you using the phrase "should have been completed" in your question, you obviously assume the contract extension should have been signed by now.

That's not how the real world works everytime. Sure it would be nice, but it's not necessary in this case or any case for that matter. It just seems like you keep repeating the same argument in all of your posts. All of this on this board know exactly how you feel about the situation.

Some people are worried about the situation and about Buning's ability to keep Hakstol (or other coaches) happy. Some people may be a little worried but feel it will get done no matter what and that's overall there isn't really anything to worry about at this time. Some people aren't worried and feel since he still has a contract, there is nothing more to discuss. Some people feel that Buning is doing a good/great job and the move to D1 is where the money is going and unless the alumni pony-up and help foot the bill, there is nothing that can be done at this point in time.

To those of you who say this will get done or aren't worried, at what point in time do you start to worry or do you start questioning the happenings within the AD's office and Buning's ability to keep Hakstol happy? Do you start to worry once practice starts, once the games start, halfway through the season, season's end, or next summer?

Also, at what time do those who feel Buning is doing a great/satisfactory job, start to question his ability to lead our athletic department?

I'm curious at what it's going to take for some to start to worry about Hakstol or question Buning's performance.

Please discuss....

i am not worried yet and don't plan on being worried until it is time for it to be signed and I trust Hak and Buning to get the job that they were hired to do. End of Story.

mikejm, I am not sure exactly what you ment by the comment you made regarding 7nationaltitles comment, but nice comment anyway, it really adds to the discussion at hand. He says something of substance and you come back with "Do you even read your own words before you hit the "add reply" button? Try it sometime",again thanks for adding substance to the topic at hand. I strongly suggest you take a seat next to sikatoka,and I am sure you will correct me if I spelled that or something else wrong,sitting this topic out. You obviously have no input or information whatsover to add here, just as he doesnt. And redwing regarding your my thoughts exactly comment, maybe you guys can make it a 3some! As informative as you try to come across, you are far from it.

Some people with something serious and legitimate to add on this subject are trying to portray how serious and desperate this situation has become but you 3 seem not to be able to grasp it. It is serious and at this point dont look for anything positive regarding this situation to happen for long time, unless things change drastically. If that doesnt concern you , well it should. The UND hockey program is drastically underfunded in every aspect compared to its piers, but at the same time is expected to outperform them. Not an easy task if you ask me, outperform your rivals but with your hands tied behind your back. Yes UND has the best arena in the country, but that alone isnt going to get the top recruits. It takes among other things great coaching staff ,with a solid foundation and a solid future. Imagine your a top recuit who can have his pick of schools or major juniors and at this point you dont know who will be the coach at UND in the future ,whereas you know who the other teams coaches will be. It might very well have an impact on you and your family when you make your choice. It will definitely be used against UND by other schools recruiting the same players.

Again, look at what Hakstol and his staff have done in their first 3 years, in regards to performance and in regards to the quality athletes they have brought and have committed to UND. That speaks volumes. And for him to be entering the last year of his contract unsigned to an extension is incexcusable, no if ands or buts about it! One person alone is responsible for getting the coach of UND's top program signed for the long term,and that is Mr Buning. And he hasnt done it! If you honestly know Hakstol or anything about him, and Mr Buning or anything about him, you know where the problem exists. And if you dont, which you must not,considering your comments regarding the situation, then take what other people that do are telling you to be serious!

Now feel free to make your worthless comments like if I have read this or not or my thoughts exactly, without stating something of substance. Like your buddy sikatoka, maybe you have something valuable to add somewhere, like who the next softball or baseball coach will be and that we are entering D1 withouth coaches set in those sports, but for god sakes sit this one out! You obviously dont dont have legitimate knowledge of this topic!

i hope he is signed soon for the simple fact of recruiting as that will be used by other coaches, we arent struggling recruiting, i know that and it shows but you always have to be looking 3-4 years down the line every year and a signed hak will take this out of the equation. just a hurdle you dont want to be in the air when grabbing top recruits as we do every year. he has earned a new contract with the first 3 years of coaching, lets get hak a extension buning!

Guess I'm sitting this one out. Chicken Little has so ordained.

Suffice it to say I have had countless communications with people a lot closer to the situation than anyone on this board and there simply isn't any fire where fs1 and 7nationaltitles are seeing smoke. People both inside and outside the AD's office.

I prefer not to deal in rumor and innuendo, a choice neither of the above-mentioned posters seem to specialize in. And I deal in contracts and contract law every day of my life and it is not at all unusual for a contract presently in full force and effect to not be extended prior to its expiration.

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled over-wroughtedness.

Suffice it to say I have had countless communications with people a lot closer to the situation than anyone on this board and there simply isn't any fire where fs1 and 7nationaltitles are seeing smoke. People both inside and outside the AD's office.

I prefer not to deal in rumor and innuendo, a choice neither of the above-mentioned posters seem to specialize in. And I deal in contracts and contract law every day of my life and it is not at all unusual for a contract presently in full force and effect to not be extended prior to its expiration.

i would say maybe head coaches in sports are a bit different in college or pro when it comes to what you mentioned above,just seems to be the norm these days with the big time money coaches make

i dont care when hes signed, tomorrow or end of the year, just so its going to happen!

mikejm, just becuase you say "Suffice it to say I have had countless communications with people a lot closer to the situation than anyone on this board and there simply isn't any fire where fs1 and 7nationaltitles are seeing smoke. People both inside and outside the AD's office" doesnt actually mean that that statement or your communications are any better than mine. I dont know who you are, and franctly dont really care who you are, but that fact of the matter and truth be told you need to reevalute your connections and how close they are to the situation at hand. Or maybe they just dont tell you everything they know! Or perhaps they dont tell you the truth! Or perhaps you put to much weight in your sources.

As highly as you think of yourself (and I state YOU think of yourself), I hate to knock you down a notch (well honestly I really do enjoy it), I dont like to boast about things as much as you obviously do (Suffice it to say I have had countless communications with people a lot closer to the situation than anyone on this board) but on this one you take a back seat to me(and also 7nationaltitles). You dont know me and I dont know you, but you should now be thinking , even if just slightly in your mind, could it be true, could he know more than me? and YES he does, it is true he does! Truth be told that is FACT. So your "suffice" comment is 100 percent incorrect! There is fire where there is smoke!

And as far as you go PCM and your cute little post, as much as your thought of and think of yourself as the one who knows all, you might even be behind your friend mikejm on this one. Believe it or not there are people who know more about this situation(and others) than either of you 2. And this case is a perfect example of it. This one is a little bit different than writing a story about the recap of the game or that the team is undefeated wearing the new black nike jerseys!

mikejm, TRUTH be told ,on this one you are sadley missinformed. You shouldnt have thought so highly of yourself as to have made the "suffice" comment. You dont know me, but if you did, you would know why it is incorrect.

To all the posters out there( other than above mentioned), sorry if I am coming across as an a--, but sometimes people need to be told when they are wrong, and need to be made aware of it in no uncertain terms, and in this case they are. The "suffice" comment made me do it!

:blush::D:0;)

I'm sorry, but this isn't Simplot or the regular business world. Sports are a little different than what you may be used to dealing with in your everyday life.

If what you say is so true, then let me ask you this......how soon before the end of his contract did Lucia get an extension, how soon before Eaves contract was up did he get an extension, how soon before Gwozdecki's (spelling?) contract was up did he get an extension, how soon did Pete Carroll get an extension before his contract was up, how soon did Charlie Weiss get contract extension at Notre Dame (after one year for your information).

If you want, I go on all night but evidently this isn't the contract law you deal with everyday of your life. I'll stop now so I don't confuse you and mess you up at work tomorrow and make you think you've got to go get contract extensions on all your clients. :D

:blush::D:0;)

I'm sorry, but this isn't Simplot or the regular business world. Sports are a little different than what you may be used to dealing with in your everyday life.

If what you say is so true, then let me ask you this......how soon before the end of his contract did Lucia get an extension, how soon before Eaves contract was up did he get an extension, how soon before Gwozdecki's (spelling?) contract was up did he get an extension, how soon did Pete Carroll get an extension before his contract was up, how soon did Charlie Weiss get contract extension at Notre Dame (after one year for your information).

If you want, I go on all night but evidently this isn't the contract law you deal with everyday of your life. I'll stop now so I don't confuse you and mess you up at work tomorrow and make you think you've got to go get contract extensions on all your clients. :D

Now I dont care who you are,but that is funny! We have a winner! mikejm, this is like when the source said ""BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! sICATOKA = NO INFO WORTH POSTING!" Now we can safely say mikejm=in over his head on this one even if he thinks so highly of himself as to use the "suffice" comment!

Hak was at Oshie's tourney on Saturday. I actually brought this up to him and here's how he reacted:

He just chuckled and said: "That's the small stuff. Don't even worry about it."

I'm no longer worried. Hak will be here for a long time unless we have an ABSOLUTE idiot running our athletic department...which MAY be the case, but doubtful.

Just a question that I have after reading through all of this. I can understand that you want Hakstol re-signed...I get that. What I don't get, and haven't read (unless I missed something) is why all of the animosity towards Buning? I do not have any inside information like you all do, and I also am not up to speed on Buning and Buning's history at UND. What is his deal? I haven't read any concrete examples that would make me think this is not going to get done. Has Buning done something dumb in the past? Has he not extended someone's contract that should have been, or has he extended someone's contract that you feel should not have been?

Along the same lines...why all the frustration with this situation? Again...I do understand that you'd like Hakstol to be re-signed. It would have been great if he would have been extended last year or during the offseason, but do you have examples of why you think this may not get done? Have you seen Hakstol and Buning arguing in the hallways at the UND athletic offices? Have you overheard Hakstol say that he won't re-sign here because he's frustrated with Buning?

Maybe I'm missing something here because I don't know Buning's history, and yes, it would be great if Hakstol was re-signed already, but I guess I just don't get why a few here are so angry about this. Now, if it doesn't get done (very doubtful) then I understand...but could you give us some information if you know anything so we understand why you're taking this position?

And as far as you go PCM and your cute little post, as much as your thought of and think of yourself as the one who knows all, you might even be behind your friend mikejm on this one.

I'm sorry, but you must have me confused with someone else. I have never claimed to be someone "who knows all." In fact, I deliberately avoid publicly commenting on topics or situations in which I have little or no knowledge or insight. You should try it some time. It does wonders for your credibility.

That's not to say that everything I've ever posted here or written for USCHO is 100 percent accurate because I know it's not. However, when I make an error and I know it, I correct it, apologize and move on. It's a concept called "taking responsibility." If you know any mature adults, you might ask them to explain it to you.

Believe it or not there are people who know more about this situation(and others) than either of you 2.

I do believe it. When I have a question, that's why I tend to ask people I know have the most accurate and reliable information. I know who they are. I know what they do. I know where their information comes from. I know why they know what they know.

In contrast, I have no idea who you are. I have no idea what you do. I have no idea how you get your information. Yet, according to you, I should simply trust some random, anonymous, unaccountable person posting on the Internet who I've never met because he/she claims to be well connected. Well, sorry, I may be gullible, but I'm not that gullible.

This one is a little bit different than writing a story about the recap of the game or that the team is undefeated wearing the new black nike jerseys!

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that tidbit of wisdom. :blush:

And now allow me share some wisdom with you. My name is on everything I write. Everyone knows who I am. I've never made any attempt to hide behind a pseudonym. I've never claimed to be an "insider."

Therefore, you and the other "insiders" need not feel threatened by me because being accountable for what I write means there's no way I can compete with your innuendo, your rumor-mongering, your gossip and your drive-by character assassination. I recognize the true masters of those trades and have no desire to compete with them or to even compare what I do with what they do.

Now, when it comes to being an ass, I can compete pretty well in that arena. I don't like to, but if that's the way you want it, just remember -- you started it.

I find it a little ironic that Brian Lee was drug through the mud for two years on this board, and didn't have half the sympathy that buning seems to get from people, when basically the same thing is happening to him (buning.) Just an observation, and I'll say no more. :blush:

Apples and oranges.